Pop Century vs Drury Disney Spring with teens?

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We are planning a Disney trip for our family of four including 2 adults and 2 teens. We are deciding between the Drury Disney Springs and a standard room at Pop Century. For our dates, Pop Century would be about $40 more per night. We have never stayed off site and have also never stayed at Pop (always at Riverside). Which of these options would you personally choose? I like the idea of the breakfast and evening kick back at the Drury and it looks like the hotel itself might be a little nicer/have bigger rooms? My main concern about the Drury is whether transportation will be a pain and whether not being in the "Disney bubble" will feel like a big disadvantage. At the same time, I think there's a chance that it might feel good to decompress at a hotel that is a little less loud and chaotic. I would appreciate any opinions and experiences. Thanks!

I don't have a clear answer, but I do have some questions to think about to help you decide. Is your group going to split up a lot? Would you let the teens sleep in or stay out later? Is your family made up of all early birds, or night owls, or is it divided? Are you a family that has to get park hoppers? Would you be back in time to enjoy the evening kickback at Drury? (Protip: the double pour of wine is not worth it.) Are you planning any resort days? How long is your trip? Will you have your own car? Are you rope droppers, genie+ everyday people, both or neither? The early entry resort advantage can be helpful if you are willing to arrive an hour early.

As a family we've stayed at Riverside, POFQ and CBR. DH & I stayed at Pop for a 3 night trip the kids know nothing about. We've stayed at Drury in our home state and enjoyed it.

The skyliner is really convenient. It was easy to split up and head back to the resort. Pop has a lot of concrete and a lot of hustle and bustle. One of the things I liked about Riverside was not seeing so many people due to sightlines and landscaping. I could probably only stay at Pop for 5 nights max. The room is tight but the storage is very thoughtful. This is how we ended up at CBR last summer.

TL;DR Short trip without a personal vehicle I'd pick POP.

We are planning a Disney trip for our family of four including 2 adults and 2 teens. We are deciding between the Drury Disney Springs and a standard room at Pop Century. For our dates, Pop Century would be about $40 more per night. We have never stayed off site and have also never stayed at Pop (always at Riverside). Which of these options would you personally choose? I like the idea of the breakfast and evening kick back at the Drury and it looks like the hotel itself might be a little nicer/have bigger rooms? My main concern about the Drury is whether transportation will be a pain and whether not being in the "Disney bubble" will feel like a big disadvantage. At the same time, I think there's a chance that it might feel good to decompress at a hotel that is a little less loud and chaotic. I would appreciate any opinions and experiences. Thanks!
POP Century is my favorite value but since the Skyliner it has priced me out. I have around 140+ onsite stays, lots of offsite and in last 6-8 years they outweigh the onsite. I've stayed at all the Disney Springs except Holiday Inn and Drury but I really want to stay at the Drury. None of the Disney Springs hotels or Value resorts can really compete with the amenities you will get. The rooms are practically brand new, interior halls and have to be bigger and the option of a balcony. POP breakfasts are so expensive now and the food barely mediocre. Last time I felt ripped off and said never again. I would love to get free breakfast especially with teens. The evening reception could be a real bonus at the end of a mid day break then heading back to parks.

Disney Springs hotels are on property and the road is lovely with sidewalks and lush landscape. It is a nice walk to Disney Springs and I love that. I'd rather do a dinner there than in the parks or most Disney hotels. Being a "new" hotel I think they are doing more than the average with regards to transportation and more. Their schedule is not much different than Disney, they actually put it in writing and easy to find (unlike some others). I say try the Drury ~ you can always go back to Disney but you won't know if it is for you unless you try.

MAY BUS SCHEDULE

POP. …because standing in the middle of the Ticket & Transportation Parking lot was pure hell .
The one and only time for me.

And another time at Disney Springs pouring down rainstorm and just missing the bus that waits one minute before taking off.

Last edited:
I don't have a clear answer, but I do have some questions to think about to help you decide. Is your group going to split up a lot? Would you let the teens sleep in or stay out later? Is your family made up of all early birds, or night owls, or is it divided? Are you a family that has to get park hoppers? Would you be back in time to enjoy the evening kickback at Drury? (Protip: the double pour of wine is not worth it.) Are you planning any resort days? How long is your trip? Will you have your own car? Are you rope droppers, genie+ everyday people, both or neither? The early entry resort advantage can be helpful if you are willing to arrive an hour early.

As a family we've stayed at Riverside, POFQ and CBR. DH & I stayed at Pop for a 3 night trip the kids know nothing about. We've stayed at Drury in our home state and enjoyed it.

The skyliner is really convenient. It was easy to split up and head back to the resort. Pop has a lot of concrete and a lot of hustle and bustle. One of the things I liked about Riverside was not seeing so many people due to sightlines and landscaping. I could probably only stay at Pop for 5 nights max. The room is tight but the storage is very thoughtful. This is how we ended up at CBR last summer.

TL;DR Short trip without a personal vehicle I'd pick POP.
Great things to think about! We will likely not split up a whole lot and will not have a car. We will not have park hoppers and will be there for 5 days, but two are travel days, so we will be there for 3 full days plus half of our arrival day (we fly in at noon). I agree with you that the less crowded feel due to the landscape of Riverside was very appealing to us. I wonder if Drury would have more of that feel vs the more bright, "dazzle dazzle" cement feel of Pop Century? Since we have teens, we will likely rope drop one day, but then may try to stay until close other days instead. Thanks for your input!

POP. …because standing in the middle of the Ticket & Transportation Parking lot was pure hell .
Did you have to do this when you stayed in Disney Springs? I have never stayed off site so haven't been to this parking area. :)

POP Century is my favorite value but since the Skyliner it has priced me out. I have around 140+ onsite stays, lots of offsite and in last 6-8 years they outweigh the onsite. I've stayed at all the Disney Springs except Holiday Inn and Drury but I really want to stay at the Drury. None of the Disney Springs hotels or Value resorts can really compete with the amenities you will get. The rooms are practically brand new, interior halls and have to be bigger and the option of a balcony. POP breakfasts are so expensive now and the food barely mediocre. Last time I felt ripped off and said never again. I would love to get free breakfast especially with teens. The evening reception could be a real bonus at the end of a mid day break then heading back to parks.

Disney Springs hotels are on property and the road is lovely with sidewalks and lush landscape. It is a nice walk to Disney Springs and I love that. I'd rather do a dinner there than in the parks or most Disney hotels. Being a "new" hotel I think they are doing more than the average with regards to transportation and more. Their schedule is not much different than Disney, they actually put it in writing and easy to find (unlike some others). I say try the Drury ~ you can always go back to Disney but you won't know if it is for you unless you try.

MAY BUS SCHEDULE
Thanks so much! The lush landscaping and relaxing vibe is kind of what we are looking for, so it is good to know that the DS hotels have that! I agree that the free breakfast is a major perk! When you stayed in DS hotels, did you get dropped off/picked up at locations that were just as convenient as the on site resort busses?

Thanks so much! The lush landscaping and relaxing vibe is kind of what we are looking for, so it is good to know that the DS hotels have that! I agree that the free breakfast is a major perk! When you stayed in DS hotels, did you get dropped off/picked up at locations that were just as convenient as the on site resort busses?
I've never been on buses, I drive (AP free parking) but I have watched the addition of any kind of schedules since COVID since they seem to be on their own now with figuring out transportation.

It's Hotel Plaza Blvd that is well landscaped so your walk to Disney Springs is very nice. Only hotels, some offices, no commercial businesses along the hotel section. We've done that often, nice walk. Plus about Drury is you are AWAY from I-4 and back up to the lake and landscaping. A nice view that way from pool area.

1715217066829.png

Last edited:
Interesting comparison as I stayed at Pop for the first time a few weeks ago and am returning in a few weeks with a split stay at the Yacht Club. I have stayed at Crystal at DS many years ago and it was adequate.

The redeeming aspect of Pop is the Skyliner. It made transportation effortless and gave us some wonderful dining options at Riveria. In fact, we ate dinner 3 times in a row at Riviera. Pop's breakfast was sub-par and one evening I tried a chicken/broccoli stir fry that was well below average.

I did a short resort review here.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/first-time-staying-onsite-at-a-non-dvc-property.3944266/

Hands down Pop for us. I do not ever want to stay offsite, to us the Disney feel is real. We love the Skyliner. We really have not had issues with noise at POP. We don't stay preferred or poolside. We stayed in Building 6 with lake view on our last trip. Being on the backside of the building was very nice.

Yes it is very easy to be dropped off and begin the day ,
Returningin the middle of the day and missing the bus by one minute and seeing it pull away and the sun is HOT to stand on concrete or it is pouring down rain … Sorry not my idea of Disney fun .
And worrying about the last pickup and will there be room on the bus for me?
It seemed I was always trying to figure out was I too early too late how long til it returns what about the traffic on property causing bus delay, etc etc.

So, grab a taxi. They're saving enough to do that a couple times a day. End of the night? Hang out at a monorail resort and take a taxi from there when things calm down. Their traveling with older kids, not toddlers, who might actually enjoy that. Riding the skyliner is nice, but it's not THAT "magical". Given the choice presented here, Drury is a no-brainer. Pop rooms are not just smaller, but tiny. A family of four with two teenagers? No way.

Great things to think about! We will likely not split up a whole lot and will not have a car. We will not have park hoppers and will be there for 5 days, but two are travel days, so we will be there for 3 full days plus half of our arrival day (we fly in at noon). I agree with you that the less crowded feel due to the landscape of Riverside was very appealing to us. I wonder if Drury would have more of that feel vs the more bright, "dazzle dazzle" cement feel of Pop Century? Since we have teens, we will likely rope drop one day, but then may try to stay until close other days instead. Thanks for your input!
if you were staying for a week+ I'd say go with Drury for the extra room+ food with kids (I love the DS hotels) but for your short stay I'd recommend PoP- it's a bit easier to navigate easy transport. I've been so many times over the years at so many hotels onsite or at Springs.... I have my faves and the skyliner at Pop is lots of fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter