Is Disney retiring the monorail system

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
DH just got a news brief sorry but not sure where he gets them from but it was talking about Disney shutting down the monorail system

The article started by saying
Disney ceases monorail system declares indefinite retirement

DH asked if I read anything on here
I said I would ask

Somehow these news feeds he gets I’m not sure how credible they are

I found the article and surprise to no one, but it's from Inside the Magic. They're infamous for posting clickbait trash articles. Don't use them as a source. They're not accurate.

It seems like the blue monorail has been taken offline for a refurb. Inside the Magic decided to use their talent of clickbait and make it seem like the monorail system was shutting down altogether.

GD ITM. I've lost count of the number of times I've clicked on their articles and cringed at how they got me again.

I'll save you the read; they are referring to the LAS VEGAS monorail shutting down, not the WDW or DL monorail (or Seattle for that matter). Monorail Peach just went back on the beam, so no, not shutting down.

interesting thats sort of what we thought
DH always asks me if Ive seen this or that on the DIS
from some nonsense hes getting o n these news feeds

I'm not even sure how credible the Las Vegas monorail shutdown is. The current availability of the monorails is higher than any other tracked form of transportation, and Bombardier (now Alstom) guarantee 20 years of support after delivery, which puts them at 2030 or so. 2028 sounds like a date for new rolling stock acquisition.

Anyway, they are current products and you can still buy direct replacements if you want them: https://www.alstom.com/solutions/ro...efficient-solutions-urban-and-airport-transit

I suspect the WDW refurbishment is more than just skin deep, given they're taking each train offline for an extended period of time. WDW's monorails not only have a unique Leerjet look, they also have a unique block control system (MAPO), making them expensive to replace as they're not COTS anymore. They could easily be putting in new traction motors and an updated suspension system, which would also free up parts for the existing non-refurbished units to keep them going a bit longer. Just speculation, but it's what I would do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter