First Halloween in WDW (just morning) what should we do?

Kait_

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are flying out from our Disney trip at 8PM on August 9th -- which is the first day of the Halloween Parties. Obviously we can't go to the party 😭 but I've never been in Disney for any holiday and want to experience what I can.

What can we do in half a day? All I can think of based on what I've seen on social media is see the decorations on Main Street and maybe have lunch at Hollywood & Vine (we have park hopper, but not much time to go bouncing all over). I do think my girls would get a thrill out of seeing the characters in costume, just hope the seasonal switch at Hollywood & Vine actually happens Aug 9th, too.

For anyone who's a Disney Halloween veteran -- what would you recommend us doing with just the morning and early afternoon that's special for Halloween? What else during the day is changed for Halloween?

Thanks so much!
--Kait

PS I'm from NJ but my family is all European so I really like to show them how amazing Halloween is every chance I get :earsboy:

I don't know about H&V, but during the day I think the only difference in MK is the Main Street decor. About the only other thing that comes to mind is the sweets sold in places like the Confectionary cross-over to fall theming. I don't know 100%, but the characters I recall seeing did not change costumes.

Personally, I always find it a bit odd to see pumpkins in early August. August is still firmly summer.

Actually, the big thing that comes to my mind, is that you should plan to experience summer weather in WDW if you visit in August. That is part of why I find the fall decor so jarring. August= hot days, and PM storms are common. During the early MK Halloween parties there is often an afternoon/evening storm with tropical level rain. I know you didn't ask a park touring question, but that is the answer that comes to my mind.

In any event, when WDW has thunderstorms, the pools, boats, and a good portion of the attractions stop running. I visit in August fairly often, and weather has a significant impact on our touring at that time of year. Every afternoon we firmly take an afternoon break due to the heat. Evenings in the parks can be nice if there is no storm, but if our week happens to be stormy, the last day is a great time to go on some of the rides we missed due to the storms. Alternately, some summer trips we don't make it to the pool except maybe our last day. Other times of year, we don't set aside our last day, but in August our last day often becomes our make-up day.

Some of the desserts are fun, some are just over-the-top sugar, IMO. You might find a few fall-themed spirit jerseys and/or toys for sale. Expect to see LOTS of Tiana. When last we visited Mickey in MK, he was wearing an outfit themed to the 100 Celebration.

You will be able to see the fall decor in MK and, it's very possible, the H&V Halloween dining will start that day as well. You may also find some Halloween merch and snacks in the parks and resorts (particularly in MK). Consider starting your day in MK to see the decor, merch, some snacks and then maybe a late lunch at H&V prior to leaving for the airport? They will announce dates for H&V Halloween dining prior to August 9, so if it turns out it doesn't start that day, you can always cancel.

We visited the end of July and first few days of August last year. I think we missed the first party by a week. You will be able to see the fall decorations and Halloween merchandise. I was so surprised and HAPPY to see the pumpkins and scarecrows in MK! I was also able to buy a Halloween shirt and tote bag in the Emporium. It was really neat to see the holiday decorations.

Attachments

• 20230802_204208.jpg
    20230802_204208.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 4
I don't know about H&V, but during the day I think the only difference in MK is the Main Street decor. About the only other thing that comes to mind is the sweets sold in places like the Confectionary cross-over to fall theming. I don't know 100%, but the characters I recall seeing did not change costumes.

Personally, I always find it a bit odd to see pumpkins in early August. August is still firmly summer.

Actually, the big thing that comes to my mind, is that you should plan to experience summer weather in WDW if you visit in August. That is part of why I find the fall decor so jarring. August= hot days, and PM storms are common. During the early MK Halloween parties there is often an afternoon/evening storm with tropical level rain. I know you didn't ask a park touring question, but that is the answer that comes to my mind.

In any event, when WDW has thunderstorms, the pools, boats, and a good portion of the attractions stop running. I visit in August fairly often, and weather has a significant impact on our touring at that time of year. Every afternoon we firmly take an afternoon break due to the heat. Evenings in the parks can be nice if there is no storm, but if our week happens to be stormy, the last day is a great time to go on some of the rides we missed due to the storms. Alternately, some summer trips we don't make it to the pool except maybe our last day. Other times of year, we don't set aside our last day, but in August our last day often becomes our make-up day.

Some of the desserts are fun, some are just over-the-top sugar, IMO. You might find a few fall-themed spirit jerseys and/or toys for sale. Expect to see LOTS of Tiana. When last we visited Mickey in MK, he was wearing an outfit themed to the 100 Celebration.
Yeah unfortunately we didn't have much wiggle room with the dates. But fortunately we have 2 weeks so I'm already basically expecting afternoons to be for shows, pool time, or other "semi-down-time" activities.

Thanks for confirming what I kinda thought. Also -- snacks! I hadn't thought of that. That will be fun for something different.

Also I totally agree Halloween in August is weird. It would be really weird if we were going in mid-august and everything was Halloween the whole trip. But one fun Halloween day in Disney (or half day) sounds like a good time :earsboy:

You will be able to see the fall decor in MK and, it's very possible, the H&V Halloween dining will start that day as well. You may also find some Halloween merch and snacks in the parks and resorts (particularly in MK). Consider starting your day in MK to see the decor, merch, some snacks and then maybe a late lunch at H&V prior to leaving for the airport? They will announce dates for H&V Halloween dining prior to August 9, so if it turns out it doesn't start that day, you can always cancel.
Oh yeah that sounds perfect. And really good point that I can always cancel H&V if they are still doing the summer bash (we're doing that earlier in the trip, little one looooves Minnie).

We visited the end of July and first few days of August last year. I think we missed the first party by a week. You will be able to see the fall decorations and Halloween merchandise. I was so surprised and HAPPY to see the pumpkins and scarecrows in MK! I was also able to buy a Halloween shirt and tote bag in the Emporium. It was really neat to see the holiday decorations.
Oh so that stuff comes out even before the party starts? Thanks for the info!!

We have 2 weeks. So I think we will almost certainly see MK "normal" and "halloween" then. Ah! So excited :earsboy:

it was a fun twist at the end of trip, but it made it harder for me to leave. We don't get to go very often. DD and I are doing MNSSHP this year for the first time. We are beyond excited!
I hope you have an awesome trip!

Yeah unfortunately we didn't have much wiggle room with the dates. But fortunately we have 2 weeks so I'm already basically expecting afternoons to be for shows, pool time, or other "semi-down-time" activities.

Thanks for confirming what I kinda thought. Also -- snacks! I hadn't thought of that. That will be fun for something different.

Also I totally agree Halloween in August is weird. It would be really weird if we were going in mid-august and everything was Halloween the whole trip. But one fun Halloween day in Disney (or half day) sounds like a good time :earsboy:
Two weeks is lots of time to be flexible.

A number of times, it can be perfectly sunny, but if lightning gets w/in a certain distance, the pools, etc close. So a number of times, we've gotten ready to swim and that's when the skies let loose, or the pool is just closed. It can be a bit surprising. Other trips we've had excellent weather. But 100% afternoon breaks then returning to the parks after dark.

The best holiday themed snacks I've seen are at Universal. The Chocolate Emporium has a chocolate shop. They have a large selection of French Macaron cookies, and to the right of that big case is another case of house made chocolate confections that are amazing. You have to walk towards the cash register to see it. At Disney, some of the best confections, IMO, are at Amorette's in DS. Beautiful and tasty! If you are over by the Boardwalk, the Deli has a small selection of nice sweets. Not a huge selection, but what they have looks nice and tastes great. It is also possible the new bakery will be open by then.

We tend to go towards the latter part of August, so yes- Halloween decor on Main Street the whole time, but I think mostly the rest of WDW is fairly normal/non-holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter