Disney World with fractured ankle

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, we're leaving for our trip to Disney World in exactly 7 days and we just found out that my 11 year old son fractured his ankle! We haven't even had our appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yet to find out what type of cast he will have and to ask if he even recommends we still go on this trip. If it were just our family, I would definitely reschedule, but my 19 year old niece and her roommate are coming with us so that makes it more complicated since I don't think they have the insurance to cover a cancellation for themselves. If we do end up going, I'm trying to figure out what that would look like. I'm thinking even if he gets a walking boot, we would most likely have to get a wheelchair for him to get around? My husband is ok with pushing him around. How does that work for lines - you just take the wheelchair in lines? I think that doesn't qualify you for DAS, is that correct? We normally go really hard at Disney with 30,000+ steps each day, so I'm having trouble envisioning how we can even make this work! Any advice is very welcome! Thanks!

Ooh so sorry. Poor little guy.

Try to make lemonade? I’d run with putting a positive spin on how this trip will be different. It’s going to be more relaxed. You might spend more time together doing exhibits and experiences, etc. Lean into it. Kids change so quickly. There’s still so many choices to make this trip memorable.

First take a look at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

That page leads into all the options around mobility so you can prepare and plan. You can try requesting DAS. Typically they do not issue for mobility but in certain cases they do. The only way to know is by trying. Calling (video chat) will be helpful regardless because they can offer useful solutions for common encounters. Like for night shows there are designated areas for wheelchair users (who cannot stand), which is going to make things easier for your family. You’ll need to arrive a bit early before they fill but is worth it.

Might be helpful for others to chime in with similar experiences and what were some of the most fun things they did that trip.

The most fun new thing we did recently was renting a pontoon by MK to drive around 7 Seas Lagoon. It was $60 for 45 minutes and gave enough time to do the entire circuit including Bay Lake. Holds up to 10 people, is huge, feels luxurious and has great sound system. Anybody over 18 who’ like to drive must bring vehicle license. It is very safe. Your son can lounge comfortably. I don’t think anybody would regret doing this. It pairs nicely with doing an MK resort lunch and a nice way to get out of the midday heat/crowds.

Ooh so sorry. Poor little guy.

Try to make lemonade? I’d run with putting a positive spin on how this trip will be different. It’s going to be more relaxed. You might spend more time together doing exhibits and experiences, etc. Lean into it. Kids change so quickly. There’s still so many choices to make this trip memorable.

First take a look at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

That page leads into all the options around mobility so you can prepare and plan. You can try requesting DAS. Typically they do not issue for mobility but in certain cases they do. The only way to know is by trying. Calling (video chat) will be helpful regardless because they can offer useful solutions for common encounters. Like for night shows there are designated areas for wheelchair users (who cannot stand), which is going to make things easier for your family. You’ll need to arrive a bit early before they fill but is worth it.

Might be helpful for others to chime in with similar experiences and what were some of the most fun things they did that trip.

The most fun new thing we did recently was renting a pontoon by MK to drive around 7 Seas Lagoon. It was $60 for 45 minutes and gave enough time to do the entire circuit including Bay Lake. Holds up to 10 people, is huge, feels luxurious and has great sound system. Anybody over 18 who’ like to drive must bring vehicle license. It is very safe. Your son can lounge comfortably. I don’t think anybody would regret doing this. It pairs nicely with doing an MK resort lunch and a nice way to get out of the midday heat/crowds.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll definitely check out that page so thanks for the link.

Are you flying? I found when I broke my ankle as an old person, it hurt more keeping it down. My recliner was my friend. Might need to plan how to keep leg elevated.

Pack gallon zip locks bags, handy for ice packs.

Are you flying? I found when I broke my ankle as an old person, it hurt more keeping it down. My recliner was my friend. Might need to plan how to keep leg elevated.
Yes we are flying! Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of that. It's weirdly not even that painful to him anymore (it definitely was when he first injured it!), but we wanted to get it checked out just in case before we went on our trip and let him do any sports, so we were pretty shocked that it was fractured!

Disney does rent wheelchairs at the park, but if your doctor permits travel, I would recommend renting one to be delivered to your hotel. That way your son has it all the time. Depending on his size a pediatric wheelchair might be more comfortable.
Thanks, I was wondering if something smaller would be better. Although he's around 5'2" right now, so he might be too big for that? I'm really hoping he can get a walking boot, crutches would be such a huge pain! He's had them for about 2 hours now and he's already over it! Lol. But maybe if we rented a wheelchair for the whole time that would be better. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think 18" is the most common rental, but depending on his size it may not hit right at the back of the knee causing him to slouch in the seat or otherwise uncomfortable fit. A 14" may be too small or a 16" could be right, but the vendor will advise. Take a measurement of his hips and have that ready when you call a vendor about a wheelchair. Orlando Medical Rentals has the best options for different size wheelchairs; most only rent 18" or maybe 20" or 24" bariatric.

I think 18" is the most common rental, but depending on his size it may not hit right at the back of the knee causing him to slouch in the seat or otherwise uncomfortable fit. A 14" may be too small or a 16" could be right, but the vendor will advise. Take a measurement of his hips and have that ready when you call a vendor about a wheelchair. Orlando Medical Rentals has the best options for different size wheelchairs; most only rent 18" or maybe 20" or 24" bariatric.
Thanks! Do you not suggest just renting through Disney then? He's already saying he's not going if he has to sit in a wheelchair so I'm not sure what we're going to do! :(

Disney only rents wheelchairs for use in the parks; it can't be taken out to the buses or parking lot or back to the resort. I'd suggest renting from an outside vendor so you have it when needed. He doesn't have to sit in it all day -- use it to push your bags or park it to use his crutches through a queue, etc. But it can be a really long walk to the bus and then again to your resort room at the end of the day.

And to my knowledge Disney doesn't rent smaller size wheelchairs.

Disney only rents wheelchairs for use in the parks; it can't be taken out to the buses or parking lot or back to the resort. I'd suggest renting from an outside vendor so you have it when needed. He doesn't have to sit in it all day -- use it to push your bags or park it to use his crutches through a queue, etc. But it can be a really long walk to the bus and then again to your resort room at the end of the day.

And to my knowledge Disney doesn't rent smaller size wheelchairs.
Thank you, those are really good points! Do you just park a wheelchair by the strollers? You can take a wheelchair in line, right?

Yes, wheelchairs can go through almost all queues. The few that don't allow wheelchairs will tell you the procedure and where to enter. But if you won't want to take the wheelchair through the queue, it can usually be parked with the strollers; if the CM wants it in a different place they'll inform you.

Yes, wheelchairs can go through almost all queues. The few that don't allow wheelchairs will tell you the procedure and where to enter. But if you won't want to take the wheelchair through the queue, it can usually be parked with the strollers; if the CM wants it in a different place they'll inform you.
Thanks again! Really appreciate the help! I wonder if you could take one of those canes with a seat or a portable stool in line? He's a very active kid so I just cannot see him sitting in a wheelchair all day, but we would definitely want him to be able to rest when needed.

Thanks! Do you not suggest just renting through Disney then? He's already saying he's not going if he has to sit in a wheelchair so I'm not sure what we're going to do! :(
Hey ,if he feels that good, you jump in the chair, let him push you. 😄

But really he can push the chair, it gives him some support. Just sit when he needs it. You can throw your backpack in the chair when he is walking.

Also, I can't remember if it's an issue in World (it is in Land), but for some rides where there are stairs to access it, in addition to not being able to take the wheelchair, when they give you your alternative you may be asked if stairs are a problem. Really something to consider with kiddo even with walking boot/crutches if and how many stairs are realistic!

Hi everyone, we're leaving for our trip to Disney World in exactly 7 days and we just found out that my 11 year old son fractured his ankle! We haven't even had our appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yet to find out what type of cast he will have and to ask if he even recommends we still go on this trip.
Perhaps you could explain the situation to the ortho office. Attempt to get in quicker to see dr in order to know what you are dealing with here. No sense guessing

Speaking as someone who's actually broken a bone during a Disney trip, I think he'll realize pretty quickly that trying to cope without a wheelchair isn't really a practical option. Once he comes to terms with that he'll have a great time.

Keeping the ankle elevated whenever possible is definitely going to help; I also advise taking whatever medication he ends up taking for pain and inflammation on a schedule instead of waiting for the pain to start. If you're at a Disney resort, Mousekeeping should be able to provide you with a shower chair.

While it sounds like there are enough adults going to push the wheelchair in the parks, you still may want to call the airline and request wheelchair assistance at the airport. It can make your life so much easier, especially if you have transfers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter