Yup me again with more training questions....

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
I know you will all be glad in January when I stop asking all these training questions.

DH and I where out walking today and where thinking since we are both dealing with PF and him with a minor hip issue that maybe we would do our mid week training at the pool you know like running laps?

Would this hurt us in the long run training wise?

Also....because we are trying to get out long walks outside instead of the TM....our weather here in Ontario has been awesome and we have been able to get out every night. We have a 18M and 20 M left for long walks that are 2 and 4 weeks from now. Would it also mess us up if we did 18 next week and the 20 the week after? Would 4 weeks of taper be way to long?

I hope my questions make sense and as always thank you all for the input.

Kim

I know you will all be glad in January when I stop asking all these training questions.

DH and I where out walking today and where thinking since we are both dealing with PF and him with a minor hip issue that maybe we would do our mid week training at the pool you know like running laps?

Would this hurt us in the long run training wise?

Also....because we are trying to get out long walks outside instead of the TM....our weather here in Ontario has been awesome and we have been able to get out every night. We have a 18M and 20 M left for long walks that are 2 and 4 weeks from now. Would it also mess us up if we did 18 next week and the 20 the week after? Would 4 weeks of taper be way to long?

I hope my questions make sense and as always thank you all for the input.

Kim

Kim,

You two are injured so taking a five week taper would not be too bad a thing, if you need it. Play it by ear on the long runs as you complete the training cycle.

Not sure what you DH’s hip issue is but definitely you could move your weekday activities to a pool OR to a cycle, row machine or elliptical cross trainer. If in the pool, you really want to be deep enough to run without striking the bottom of the pool. Water running may appear to the casual observer to be an effortless form of "treading water," hand and foot motions differ. When a swimmer treads water, the motions are circular, aimed at merely keeping afloat. In water running the motions replicate intense running, the intent being to move the swimmer forward .

Generally a buoyancy belt is used to keep you off the bottom and you may want training fins (short with fin barely past the toe) to add resistance to the leg.

If you do attempt to run on the pool surface you are not removing as much stress off the injury as you could. Also, you really must have water socks on to run pool lengths on the surface. I came out of an upper end water aerobics class once with bloody feet after we ran pool laps feet on bottom.

Nothing more than opinion here, with a bit of experience. A 4 week taper should be fine, even longer if necessary to help get over the minor injuries. If at all possible, still do plenty of shorter runs/walks during the taper period, to keep your legs moving. As for the distance/endurance, your body won't forget what to do.

Thank you both for the input.:hug:

Timmac, we thought if we did our 18 and 20M in succession, then the following weeks we would follow up with some 10M, those we could do on the TM if we really had to.

Cewait: So running back and forth across the pool floor doesn't take stress off the joints? Wow I really thought it did. So we should just use a bouyancey thing and just kinda do the running motion but with not touching the bottom. Do I have that right?

Thank you both for the input.:hug:

Timmac, we thought if we did our 18 and 20M in succession, then the following weeks we would follow up with some 10M, those we could do on the TM if we really had to.

Cewait: So running back and forth across the pool floor doesn't take stress off the joints? Wow I really thought it did. So we should just use a bouyancey thing and just kinda do the running motion but with not touching the bottom. Do I have that right?

Don't get me wrong it will lessen impact and take some stress off the joints. Though with PF you would still be loading across the tendon by making contact with the pool bottom. It's really preferable to be floating to relieve as much leg stress as possible while maximizing the cardio work.

One thing to add, this can be boring; a few minutes may seem like an eternity. Good to have DH along for the workout. Also, you are striving to workout the same amount of time as you would on the run outside the pool.

Good LUck

Pool running in the deep end is great and truly a work out. One word of caution: unless you've used them before I would not recommend the fins. If used improperly they can cause damage and over stress muscles. These are not the same type of fins that are used for diving and your body is in a different position. They do take practice and I would advise against using them at the start.

Kim: I am in the same boat. I will probably play the last 3 LSD's by ear. I have done 4 week taper when body was hurting without damage to any of the 4 Goofy's. Better to be healthy and under trained than overly trained and injury. Adrenaline and emotion will help carry you those last 6 miles :)

Be careful with 2 very long days back to back while not 100%. I would cut short if it doesn't go well.

That sounds like a good plan, though if I were relegated to the dreadmill, I'd probably do less than 10. Not just for the boredom factor, but (at least in my experience) the treadmill has a greater factor of repetetive motion stress than outdoor running, especially over such a long duration.

Thanks Cewait, Liz, Robert and timmac for the advise, I think I am on the right track!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter