Your thoughts on pregnancy and the half-marathon

jkmmah

DIS Veteran
I'm an already active person, but not a runner. I want to start training for the 2009 half marathon, but also hope to get pregnant when dh returns from Iraq this coming summer, which would put me pregnant during the marathon. What are your thoughts on this? Have other pregnant women completed the race? Is it allowed by Disney? Is it not advised? Just curious. This would be my first ever race, so I wouldn't be in "race" mode, only in "finishing" mode.

I completed the 2003 full marathon when I was 8-10 weeks pregnant. We weren't trying to get preggers so I don't know the exact date. My OB said that since I had been training and was feeling fine I should be able to do it fine. I just went slower than I had planned and drank/refueled as I had in training. My son is now 4.5 and loves to run and play (especially at Disney World).

Just check with your doctor and use common sense.

Obviously your doc should be involved in your decision but the generally accepted rule is ok in the first trimester.

I walked with a young lady who was pregnant a few years ago for the John Bingham Half in Chicago and I think at the end of her 1st trimester. She had a wonderful support team who kept calling her to make sure she was walking and not running. She wore a sign saying she was walking for 2 and told us that she was going to hang her medal near the baby's crib.

Definitely, your doc needs to be onboard with this and your timing will be an issue I'm sure. Keep working on your trainig now, walks/jogs/wogs and XT whatever it is you are doing. As you will have a good base and as long as your body is in a good place and your pregnancy is in a good place and your are having a good start and...on and on...

It may be a possibility, lots of variables though.

If nothing else, being in good condition as you get to/through pregnancy will definitely be a huge help as your delivery approaches.

WISH to see you at the events. Stop by the weekly training thread for walkers/runners and let us chat with you.

I ran MANY 5ks and 2 half marathons before getting pregnant. I continued to run after getting pregnant (shorter distances) and at my first OB appotinment around 9 weeks my doc told me to just make sure I "listened to my body" as it will tell me when enough is enough.. sure enough, it told me to stop running only a few weeks later (right enar the end of my frist trimester). I went for a sort run and even though I had not gained any weight at that point it just didnt feel right for me and I just packed it in. I continued to stay active and walk alot (on my treadmill and around my neighborhood). so it will really depend on how far along you are and what your body tells you!

Start training now.

The more fit you are before the pregnancy the better the whole experience will be for you. It will give you something else to focus on while he is gone and your extra fit body will be a big treat when he gets home. The strength you will gain while training will make your pregnancy much easier.

Look at it as a win/win situation. If you are too pregnant to race - you get a baby and if you are not yet pregnant - you get to race. And if you time it absolutely perfect - you get both!

Good Luck!!! and a big thank you to both you and your husband.

Cecilia

There is a blog on runnersworld.com.....one of the contributors is pregnant and writing about it. You might find it interesting!

Runner’s World contributor Lisa Jhung blogs about the struggles, the joys, and the…um…bladder issues of staying active while pregnant. Follow her here as she strives to keep both her baby and herself healthy over a challenging nine months.

This is what she posts about exercising while pregnant:

After more prodding, I got some more answers. My doctor said they’re not going by the, “Don’t allow your heart rate to rise above 140” rule anymore. She said: “Whatever you were doing before, you can keep doing, as long as you can maintain a conversation.” She also said to not start training for anything new, and to avoid activities that could make me fall on my belly. And, most importantly, she said that if it doesn’t feel good, stop.

I passed a girl last year in the full who was wearing a shirt that said, "not too bad for a pregnant chick", or something to that affect. I asked if it were true and she said yes. Then I pushed her down and kicked her a few times.:cool1: Kidding! Anyway, she was at mile 16 when I saw her so she was well on her way.

I am in this boat right now, I signed up to run the run the half marathon, but became pregnant in November. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant, I would be almost 10 weeks at the time of the marathon, but my I am not running it as my doctor advised me not to. I am not a new runner and I've already completed 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon. My doctor said there's a very good chance that I could run the half and the baby will be perfectly fine, but we both agreed that it was a risk I am not willing to take. There will always be other races to run, but if something happened to my baby because of something I had control over, I couldn't forgive myself.

There are alot of factors you have to think about when deciding to run (my doctor DID say it was perfectly fine to run 3-4 miles daily, he just wasn't sure about long distances) the half:

1. Are you going to be able to train the first trimester? You will find that you will be exhausted all the time your first 12 weeks. Right now I work from 8-5, get home about 6:00 and crash on the couch, too tired to do anything.

2. Morning sickness/nausea. Not everyone suffers from morning sickness, but if you do, can you run and puke at the same time. :)

3. The weather the day of the race. The weather in FL in January is CRAZY. In 2006 we started the race at 32 degrees, in 2007 it was 70 at the start. The hotter it is, the harder it will be for you to run. Stay hydrated, don't set any time goals, and most importantly, don't let your body become over heated--that's very bad for the baby.

4. The first 2 miles are very congested, watch the people around you and watch for things like curbs or dips in the road, you do not want to fall.

If you do decide to run here are some tips:

1. Wear 2 sports bras! The first change you notice in your body are larger breasts--even in the first couple of weeks. Trust me, it's painful when the girls bounce around. :)

2. Run on the treadmill or with people as much as you can, you don't want to be out by yourself in case something should happen.

3. If you notice any cramping stop--IMMEDIATELY. If the cramping stops when you start walking, that's okay, but if if continues after you stop, call your doctor.

4. Stop if you have any spotting or bleeding. Call your doctor.

5. Drink LOTS of water and Gatorade--don't let yourself become dehydrated.

6. Eat healthy and take a prenatal vitamin before you get pregnant!

7. Of course, talk to your doctor about running/racing and see what he/she has to say.

Good luck with your upcoming pregnancy!!! :wizard: :wizard: for a quick and healthy pregnancy. :wizard: :wizard: for your DH in Iraq!

Krista

I am in this boat right now, I signed up to run the run the half marathon, but became pregnant in November. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant, I would be almost 10 weeks at the time of the marathon,

Krista

Congrats Krista to you and your DH! That is awesome news. You guys are going to be great parents!!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

1. Wear 2 sports bras! The first change you notice in your body are larger breasts--even in the first couple of weeks. Trust me, it's painful when the girls bounce around. :)

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

I went from a 34B to a 38D with my first pregnancy when I was 24 (those were my first stretch marks). I was sooooo sore, especially when people hugged me and EVERYONE wants to hug you the first trimester. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had been a runner at that time.

OP here.

Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts, info, and advice. I've decided to proceed with my plan to train since I have almost 6 full months I can be training before dh even returns home. Then, if pregnancy happens, my doctor and I will decide how to proceed from there. Should pregnancy not happen then I'm well on my way to being ready for Jan 2009!

Check with your doctor first.. everyone is different, listen to your body and start training long before you get pregnant...

I did the R4T 10k in October with a friend who was 5 months pregnant at the time. We didn't really run too much, mostly speed walked with a few bouts of light jogging. Before she was pregnant she ran often and had done many marathons, half marathons, etc. She has continued to train several days a week throughout her pregancy, so her doctor was fine with her doing the 10k. We pinned a photocopy of the sonogram to the back of her shirt, and wrote "Baby's First Race" on it. She then did the ToT 13k also. She is still planning to do the WDW 1/2 marathon next weekend and will be 8 months pregnant! She wasn't pregnant when she signed up, but she's kept up her training throughout the whole pregnancy and her doctor has said she can walk as much of it as she wants.. She is so looking forward to it!

So, if any of you out there see my *very* pregnant friend, wish her lots of luck!!! :goodvibes

--Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter