Your motivators to get moving! (i.e. Need a kick in the pants)

cdotla

Trish
Looking for advise from all the old couch potatoes - how did you do it? LOL!

My first attempt at getting myself off the couch in the Spring went reasonably well -at first.

I trained and ran the Minnie 5k with WISH, completed the whole thing at a great (for me) pace without stopping. Felt wonderful!

Then, I proceeded to vacation at Disney for 10 days, didn't run at all and ate all those Disney-indulgent foods.

Got home, fell back into old habits and basically now have found myself back where I started.

Now I am even more determined to get back on track, stay committed to a life of health and fitness and set a proper example for my DD5 and DS3.

I know no one can do this for me, but I would love to hear from others as to how they made health and fitness a way of life, what worked for them, and any other motivators you hung onto during those 6am runs in the rain on Sunday morning.:goodvibes

And please give me some hope that I can do this once and for all!;)

I started with the Minnie 5K in 2006 - it was my first attempt at running too. Two things kept me going after that.

1) Posting on the weekly WISH thread - reading everyone else's progress and accomplishments kept me motivated and/or made me feel guilty when I wasn't doing anything, so I was more likely to get out there just so I could say I did. 2) I found a couple of local 5K's and registered for those throughout the year, so I always had something on the calendar that I was sort of in training for.

Last spring I joined a local running group, so I have a huge group to meet up with every Saturday morning for my long runs. It's much easier to drag myself out of bed knowing that others are out there with me than it would be if I had to do it alone.

Good luck getting started again - you CAN do it!

Jackie

cdotla - I agree with Jackie. Posting on these threads has held me somewhat accountable. I've noticed that when I stay away from here, I go downhill in my exercising. :rolleyes1

Also, keeping my calendar filled with events has helped tremendously. These events are kind of like a dangling carrot in front this horse - they motivate (force :teeth:) me to keep moving.

I've recently taken up cycling as a XT exercise. I did get burned out running/walking after the WDW full marathon this past January. I've noticed that breaking up the routine with cycling has helped get me motivated as well. I just pretend that I'm in training to train for Le Tour de France. :laughing:

Biggest thing for me is to try and keep some local 5K on the calendar. This gives a point in the future that I know I must keep going for.
Also I think it helps to share this infor with family and friends. My coworkers know my schedule that TUes and THursday after work I go for my "training walks" they help keep me accountable.
Maybe share this with your kids and sometimes they can help out, like keeping track of your WO on a calendar, plus this would help them see Mommy living a healthier life style and what it takes to do it and that it isn't always easy.

Good luck and get back out there, if you every need a kick in the but, jsut come over to the weekly thread and ask for one. I'm sure lots of folks would be more than willing to do that for you.

I agree with everyone else here that WISH has helped tremendously in keeping me accountable. I really get inspired by reading everyone else's posts and seeing what they've accomplished. It makes me go out and work a lot harder to increase my mileage or exercise time.

I've also got two half marathons on my calendar - one in September and the WDW in January. Having those two races out there are reminders that I have to keep training.

Of course I guess that's easier said than done right? :upsidedow On the weekends, I have a tough time getting out the door to go running so I usually get changed into my running gear right away and then stretch while I'm doing something else like watching TV or brushing my teeth. After half an hour or so, I'm ready to go!

Good luck getting back out there! We know you can do it! Remember you don't have to go back do all 5K at once, just go out and walk for a mile or two everyday and slowly get back into things.

Keep us posted :cheer2:

We have to kep events on teh calendar or else it's really hard. We've been trainign since 3/05. This is teh first year we actually did well on our training w/o events scheduled. Howver, I'm glad we didn't gove very long (about a month) before we had something on our calendar again. When we get busy, if we don't have an event to train for, work outs are the first thing to sloide. Good luck!

I try to remember what Isacc Newton used to say: A body at rest tends to remain at rest and a body in motion tends to remain in motion! I also got tired of the doing the same thing over and over and over, so Like everyone else, I try to keep races on the calender.

Bend over Connie (edited, LOL), here it comes.

Boot to the booty! :rotfl2:

1. My family (Cam, Jenn & Andrew) :hug: :lovestruc :love: :cloud9:
2. All of my WISH friends! :grouphug: :flower3:
3. My heart, health, fitness, weight loss/maintenance and general well-being.
4. Those who would if they could (handicapped, elderly, etc.)
5. I don't want to be overweight or a couch potato. popcorn::
6. Social reasons, acknowledgement.
7. Its fun!
8. Its a challenge.. I like being challenged and then overcoming the obstacle.
9. To be different! There are so many people who want to do nothing. I am not one of them.
10. It builds character (and muscles). :rolleyes1
11. Competitiveness.

My motivations are as follows:

1) My DFD teammates
2) The Triple D's
3) Every single female that called me "fat", "ugly" and so many other names as I was growing up. (I know this is a little negative but it does help push me.)
4) To steal a quote from Smokey and the Bandit, "Doing what they say can't be done!"
5) My competiveness

My training to a lot of people would be considered extreme but I am a believer that if it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger.

Wow Guys!!! Thanks so much!!!:hug:

This thread is bringing a smile to my face and is psyching me up to go out there and do it!

Thanks WISH!!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter