Your Favorite Suite, Condo or Villa for 5

firefly_ris

DIS Veteran
I just returned from an on site stay at a mod with my family of 5. We had a great stay and utilized DME, buses etc. We were all in one room with the 5th sleeper. My kids are currently 5, 7 and 8, and so this all worked out fine. I got a discounted rate and saved by not renting a vehicle. My kids are all still in car seats and boosters so would have had to rent a bigger vehicle.

Anyway... we discussed that our next trip will probably be 2022. By then my kids will be 12, 11 and 9. I am going to want at least a suite with a separate bedroom. Kitchenette is better too, but just a mini fridge/micro combo is ok too. Balcony or patio would also be great. My other preference is proximity to Dis... like either right in Springs or Epcot area.

I am hoping by then I'll have less car seats/boosters and we can fit in a smaller vehicle - OR we might be traveling with friends of ours (family of 3) and maybe split the cost of an 8 passenger van or something.

What fits the bill that you Enjoy? Right now I have Wyndham Bonnet Creek on my list.

Thoughts on Doubletree? Embassy? What else? Obviously 3 years is hard to predict pricing on anything at all - or what perks included, but I'm trying to assemble a list of places to keep an eye on and come up with a savings goal.

We really liked the Holliday inn waterpark ( formally nick hotel) they have a really good deal on there two and three bedrooms. They had bunk beds and two beds in our room. I found the deal on mousesavers we paid 119 a night then got free parking and a discount on the resort fees.
Kids really enjoyed the movie theater and game room.
Before I reserve a room look up the hotel on YouTube you usually can find a family doing a tour of the room

We've stayed at the Sheraton Vistana resort a few times (staying again in May) and we love it there. It's directly across I4 from Disney Springs, that's how close it is to everything.

They have different size units with one or two bedrooms and bathrooms, full kitchen, balcony, washer/dryer, several pools on property along with other events. Lots of room to spread out and also have privacy and way more comfortable than cramming into one room.

We've stayed at the Sheraton Vistana resort a few times (staying again in May) and we love it there. It's directly across I4 from Disney Springs, that's how close it is to everything.

They have different size units with one or two bedrooms and bathrooms, full kitchen, balcony, washer/dryer, several pools on property along with other events. Lots of room to spread out and also have privacy and way more comfortable than cramming into one room.

Sounds good -- sounds similar to where we stayed a few years ago (Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa) but seems to have the closer proximity I'm looking for. I've read about Vistana but I am a little confused on Vistana Resort vs. Vistana Villages -- do you happen to know what the difference is? Are they on the same property but different types, like Bonnet Creek Resort vs. Bonnet Creek timeshare?

We really liked the Holliday inn waterpark ( formally nick hotel) they have a really good deal on there two and three bedrooms. They had bunk beds and two beds in our room. I found the deal on mousesavers we paid 119 a night then got free parking and a discount on the resort fees.
Kids really enjoyed the movie theater and game room.
Before I reserve a room look up the hotel on YouTube you usually can find a family doing a tour of the room

Thanks -- I had completely forgotten that they had re-done the Nickelodeon hotel.

Rent a villa with a private pool. Enjoy the together time but cherish the privacy and room to spread out! We will never stay onsite again..

Definitely a thought -- our other repeated vacation is Outer Banks so we always rent a house for that and tend to do more resort/hotel-y type stuff in Orlando, but I'm not against changing it up.

Sounds good -- sounds similar to where we stayed a few years ago (Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa) but seems to have the closer proximity I'm looking for. I've read about Vistana but I am a little confused on Vistana Resort vs. Vistana Villages -- do you happen to know what the difference is? Are they on the same property but different types, like Bonnet Creek Resort vs. Bonnet Creek timeshare?

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas is on Rt 535 and nearly directly behind the Marriott World hotel and timeshares. The Marriott is on Rt 536, which turns into Epcot Center Drive once you cross I4. The Vistana Villages are not on the same property. They are on International Drive closer to Sea World. Vistana Resort is the one you want, although I've seen good reports about the Villages also. We like the proximity to the parks so we stay at Vistana Resort.

There is a thread devoted to Sheraton Vistana Resort (SVR):
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas is on Rt 535 and nearly directly behind the Marriott World hotel and timeshares. The Marriott is on Rt 536, which turns into Epcot Center Drive once you cross I4. The Vistana Villages are not on the same property. They are on International Drive closer to Sea World. Vistana Resort is the one you want, although I've seen good reports about the Villages also. We like the proximity to the parks so we stay at Vistana Resort.

There is a thread devoted to Sheraton Vistana Resort (SVR):
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/

Perfect, thank you!!

We are in the same boat, 5 in our family. For years, we got by with a playard in the room, a cot, or even a pallet on the floor (the kids loved it), but we are now 6,8,10.

When we stay on property, we get the 2br villa at AK or similar, but that's only good for one time per year. This is the bomb-diggity, because you get 3 beds, a fold out, 3 bathrooms, and a full kitchen.
For other visits, I look for the rooms with a pull down bed so we can fit five. Examples include Caribbean Beach, Coronado, Saratoga, Key West, etc. I only book these if I can find a great rate or if we have some points to burn.

Off property, we like the Holiday Inn resorts, they have a completely separate room with bunks and a fold out sofa. Tons of room, and a great water feature. You can often find a good price, but their weekend rates do skyrocket. The old Nickelodeon place is cheaper than the other resort, and is a bit more run-down, but your kids won't notice or care. Decent food court options include Subway.
We just recently stayed at Spring Hill Suites Marriott Village, and it was fine. Could use some updating here and there, but you get 2 beds, a foldout, sitting area, basic kitchen. Very convenient distance wise, but the traffic in that area is HORRIBLE. It will take you 10 minutes just to get on the road. The other HI resort is right by there.

I love the convenience of staying on-site, but to be honest, my kids beg to go back to Holiday Inn. They don't really know the difference, and there are often perks for staying there. For instance, if you stay at the one near SeaWorld, you get a free shuttle, free express passes, free breakfast, etc etc.

There are some options I haven't had the courage to try, because frankly...the better the deal, the more likely you will find the type of hotel where people are living as opposed to visiting.

Perfect, thank you!!

You're welcome! I posted some pics on that thread back in May after our stay in a two bedroom. That would be the type of unit you need, with three kids. You can check out my pics and see just how beautiful it is there.
Also, there are times of the year when Skyauction has deals for the Sheraton and they're worth checking out. DH and I got a one bedroom premium in September for $400 for the week through Skyauction. You just have to be very aware of the terms before you book, but it can save you a ton of money.
For the Sheraton, there is no resort fee or parking fee like other resorts have.

We also like to stay at the Marriott Sabal Palms which are all two bedroom units. The resort is gorgeous, right on 536 and less than 5 minutes from Epcot. However, this resort is more expensive. They have two other timeshare resorts on property; Royal Palms and Imperial Palms. They have two or more bedrooms.

My favorites are Bonnet Creek Resort, Orange Lake Resort, Westgate Vacation Villas. We prefer timeshare resort condos for their entertainment and activities. Our annual Orlando vacation is now 2 weeks long so staying onsite at Disney would not be affordable for us. Besides, I prefer to have the kids in a seperate bedroom and have more than 1 bathroom. Westgate Vacation Villas 2 bedroom w/loft actually sleeps up to 10 people. My kids love the loft area that is open to below with 2 twin beds and TV. The loft is in addition to the 2 bedrooms but it still provides more privacy than using a pull out sleeper.

Most resorts will be nice. The difference is how far away are you willing to stay. Our last trip was about as far away as I would stay. It was at Reunion Resort. It was not bad at all, but still a bit out there. They are all going to be better than Disney accommodations. The price for 1 night at a comparable Disney room is the price for a week at one of these type resorts. You will love the space, amenities, and ability to cook your own meals. Park food gets very old quickly. All of it high in sugars and salt.

Most resorts will be nice. The difference is how far away are you willing to stay. Our last trip was about as far away as I would stay. It was at Reunion Resort. It was not bad at all, but still a bit out there. They are all going to be better than Disney accommodations. The price for 1 night at a comparable Disney room is the price for a week at one of these type resorts. You will love the space, amenities, and ability to cook your own meals. Park food gets very old quickly. All of it high in sugars and salt.

Thank you. I've stayed off site several times as well, just trying to get some feelers for some places I haven't stayed at/don't know about. I'll add Reunion to the list!

One word of minor caution with Reunion Resort is that they do not have scheduled activities like other places. If having daily activities at a resort is important, I would not go with Reunion being one to accommodate.

One word of minor caution with Reunion Resort is that they do not have scheduled activities like other places. If having daily activities at a resort is important, I would not go with Reunion being one to accommodate.

Thank you. It's a nice perk if we end up doing a longer trip and including a "resort day", but probably not a "must have" or deal breaker... although I guess it's hard to tell what the kids will want to do 3 years from now, lol.

We are a family of 7 and staying on property is a pipe dream, but we love Disney! We also love our own space and I like to pack light and have access to a washer/dryer. We have done the Sheraton Vistana Resort on the 535, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Marriott Royal Palms, and have rented a condo at Windsor Hills. All of these have offered something different in terms of experience and amenities. We had a good experience at pretty much all of them. Some good things and not so good things about each place, like anywhere else. We are heading back in August and I have booked the Sheraton Vistana again. I think when considering everything- parking, pools, price, location, cleanliness, etc. - this place has topped our list. I would also do a pool home or townhouse at Windsor Hills, but would probably not rent a condo there again. Pros of all these places was the extra space, full kitchen, laundry in unit and more than 1 bathroom.

SVR- Pros- Clean unit, lots of space, nice location, good parking, close to everything. Cons- the resort is so spread out you can't really walk anywhere. Even to get to the Dunkin Donuts across the street from the entrance, you would need to drive. Not really a problem for us because we had a car, but would be for people relying on uber/lyft. We also received lots of timeshare calls (we ignored), and units had very thin walls (we used a sleep app/noise machine).

WBC- Great pools! Loved the lazy river. Love the high rise set up. The walk between the 6 pools was short because it's a more compact environment. We were on a high floor, had a great view, and could see Hollywood Studios fireworks from our balcony on the nights we were not at the parks. The kids loved that. Cons- parking was terrible late at night after returning from the parks. Lot outside building was always completely full with multiple cars circling. Hubby would drop us at door and find parking in the central garage. Not a huge deal, but definitely not what anyone wants to do at 1am after being at a theme park. Most of the other place we stayed offered parking almost directly outside the door. Another con was the pool towels. You had to bring your room key and go pick them up from a desk in building 6 each day. Not a huge deal, but definitely kind of inconvenient, especially if you were not staying in that building (we weren't), and if you ended up needing extras you had to go back inside the lobby all wet and collect them again with the key.

Marriott Royal Palms- I will start by saying we only stayed here because a friend had a timeshare week to unload. We got the whole week for $800. Otherwise, the nightly rate of $275 at the time would not have even been on our radar. Pros- again, nice large condo with everything we needed. Our unit was a bit dated, but if you went onto the balcony you could see fireworks through the trees. I think they were Epcot fireworks and it was nice. Onsite pool was simple, but clean. Biggest perk is you have access to the amazing pools and amenities at the World Center Marriott by staying here. They have a free shuttle that runs between the locations (just a few min drive and you could even walk if the heat was not so bad). It was great and my kids loved spending the day over at the Marriott big pools.

Cons- Outdoor space at building left a lot to be desired. Trash barrels were overflowing a few times and there was a stray cat always hanging around them. The elevator smelled like trash and we saw a huge bug in the elevator, but can't confirm it was a roach for sure since I have never actually seen one. My husband thought it may have been. I have been told by a friend who lived down South for a while that it's unavoidable to run into these critters at times because of the heat and it was July. Inside our unit was very clean the whole time- no critters or even ants anywhere. This place also has a parking lot set up like the WBC so we were not parked directly outside our unit. But, it was much closer and easier to access than the WBC (no parking garage involved).

Windsor Hills Condo- Pros- Price was great. We paid $850 all in for a 3 bedroom condo. The condo was very clean and had everything- even Netflix! The pool was nice, and since we were there, a new water park has opened. It was fully constructed while we were there- just no water yet. It looked really nice. Definitely a pro! Cons- the landscaping was not what we were used to after staying at resorts. There were many thick bushes and brush around. The pond on property looks like a bit like a giant swamp. It made us nervous walking through the pathways at night, just knowing it was summer time and snakes are living in their natural habitat. We never saw one, it only unsettled me because I have an irrational fear. I know they want nothing to do with us and usually stay away, but the thick brush under the bushes is what made me most nervous, since I had never seen anything but clean mulch at the highly manicured resorts. My kids went night swimming and were covered in huge mosquitoes all stuck to their bathing suits and in their hair when they returned. I don't think this ever happened at the resorts and assume it has something to do with it being a condo community and not a resort. I imagine they don't have access to the same landscaping and mosquito control budget that a hotel timeshare has? I would stay here again, but would want to try a pool home to change it up.

So, this was our experience. I will say that despite some cons listed we really enjoyed each property and none of the stuff listed above was a deal breaker. I would stay at any of these places again. The overflowing trash barrel was probably my biggest complaint about any property. :-)

@Penmac thank you for your detailed response! I was talking with my SIL yesterday and she stayed at SVL in 2016 and raved about it. Interesting tidbit about parking at WBC at night, I hadn't really given a lot of thought to that, good points and lots to add to the list. Thanks!

Parking at night at WBC was never an issue for us. Obviously, all of the spots right at the building were probably taken. However, the parking garages are never that far away. As for pool towels, we always got them right outside of the pools. We never had to go to Bldg 6 to get them. Maybe they have changed what they are doing? Either way, we would bring our own beach towels from home with us. Insures we do not lose a chair.

Parking at night at WBC was never an issue for us. Obviously, all of the spots right at the building were probably taken. However, the parking garages are never that far away. As for pool towels, we always got them right outside of the pools. We never had to go to Bldg 6 to get them. Maybe they have changed what they are doing? Either way, we would bring our own beach towels from home with us. Insures we do not lose a chair.
We were there in 2017 so it is possible they have updated the pool towel situation since then (I hope so), but it was the case when we were there. I checked around the pool areas and asked the staff and they all directed me to a counter in building 6. Bringing towels from home is actually a great idea. We probably could not have fit anything else in our car since we drove 7 of us from the Northeast, but with the washer/dryer it's handy to have your own stuff. As for the parking, I agree it's probably not a huge deal for most and it wasn't a deal breaker for us. But, the resort was busy the week we were there and it would take my husband 10-15 min to return to the room on some nights after dropping me, kids and strollers at the entrance. The garage was also very full. Considering that we parked outside the door of some of the other resorts we stayed in and were in bed within the 15 minutes it took him to park the car at WBC, I thought this was important enough to mention in my review.

Thanks for this thread!

I am currently exploring options for October 2019. We love WBC and it's usually our go to, but prices seem to increase several hundred dollars each time we go. Honestly, it's still quite reasonable all things considered, but options never hurt.

I stumbled across Windsor Hills and it looks like we can stay for 6 nights for between $800-1000 easy. WBC is looking closer to $1250.

My biggest concern at this point is how much longer the drive time will be. Even coming from WBC, the time spent driving, sitting in traffic, and parking is enough :) I'd hate to add to that by a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter