You’re Driving Straight Through? No Thanks…I’ll Stay Home

jenseib

Mommy to Claire
Hello and Welcome to my latest Trip Report! I am sure most of you already know me.

I am Jen, Mom to Claire (and 2 others who are adults) and wife to Skip.

This one is about our Thanksgiving Trip to the Big Apple!

So let me give you a bit of background……and a quick lowdown...

Last Spring, my family had talked about doing another family trip. We had all cruised on the Fantasy in Oct. of 2016. The year before, we had all gone to NYC for Thanksgiving. We always have a great time when we do these family trips and the kids just love it.

There was talk about going to Hawaii for my parents 50th Anniversary in the Spring of 2018, but my mom could not get any time at her time share for Hawaii and that was thrown out the window. My one sisters had said no to many options and I assumed nothing was going to happen…….but my other sister kept pushing for it.

I found out in May that the family was now planning a NYC trip for Thanksgiving this year. I swear they sometimes make plans as a secret and spring it on me….and it drives me nuts!!!! They said they were going a day early this year…and they were going to drive once again. This time straight through!!!! I immediately said no. I get anxiety and last time we drove we made a stop overnight going and one overnight coming back. The van was too crowded and I still had anxiety issues even with doing the drive broken up in to 2 days each way. There was no way I could handle going straight through.

They asked if Claire could come with them, and I said she could.

Now months go by and I am asked every so often if I will be going and I keep saying no. It’s a big deal breaker for me to drive that long in a crowded van. We had 11 people that went last time. We had a 12 passenger van. There was 1 empty seat and I had wanted to have it next to me, but I was vetoed that choice. I had a real rough time coming home and thank goodness we had one of those vans that are taller than normal because I actually stood a good portion of the ride home.

My Aunt offered to pay for my flight if I wanted to go. Now I felt bad and said no, but she kept after it and finally I said yes.

Good thing too! They ended up not being able to get the same van type of van this time around like before. It was one where they had to take seats out of the back to make room for luggage and they had the shorter roof.

I never saw the van till they loaded up to head home, but just looking at it made my heart putter. My one sister literally had to get in and they locked her in with luggage. I had an anxiety attach just looking at that!

This trip consists of Claire and I, My sister Gail, her husband Rob, and their kids, Alexis and Abby, My sister Amanda, My mom, & My Aunt Mary and Uncle Geoff.

If you read my report about NYC from 2015, you will know my Dad made the decision to go at the last minute and of course it put a kink in some things. My mom told him that if he said no, there was absolutely no way he could be added (and if you read my report from our cruise in 2016, you know he did not come and he had a real rough time with Mom being gone).

So Dad made his decision of not coming and Mom, Claire and I were going to room together.

I watched flights and actually got a round trip flight for a decent price, especially with it being Thanksgiving week.

I had a work trip the week before this one and I had the option to stay longer, but once this NYC trip was decided, I decided to not extend my work trip. I was bummed about that as there were more activities I could have done and many of my friends were staying a few more nights…..but I knew I had to come home for a few days and give my husband some time.

And that leads us up to this trip! I came home from my work trip on Friday, Nov. 17. I unpacked, started that laundry and then started packing once again….of course, this time for cold temps.

Our NYC Trip was Tuesday, Nov. 21 to Saturday, Nov. 25.

Join me in my latest adventure in New York City!!!!!

Following along. As someone who has lived in or near NYC my whole life (I still work in Manhattan 5 days a week), I always enjoy hearing visitors' experiences.

I am in.

They said they were going a day early this year…and they were going to drive once again. This time straight through!!!!

Oh, that sounds like my personal nightmare. After my work trip next week, we have to drive back up, which is about 3.5 hours and I am dreading it. Fortunately I have to be down there a day earlier than my coworkers and will get to fly down.

My Aunt offered to pay for my flight if I wanted to go. Now I felt bad and said no, but she kept after it and finally I said yes.

That was nice of her and I am glad that you agreed in the end.

If you read my report about NYC from 2015, you will know my Dad made the decision to go at the last minute and of course it put a kink in some things. My mom told him that if he said no, there was absolutely no way he could be added (and if you read my report from our cruise in 2016, you know he did not come and he had a real rough time with Mom being gone).

One would have thought he had learned his lesson by now.

And that leads us up to this trip! I came home from my work trip on Friday, Nov. 17. I unpacked, started that laundry and then started packing once again….of course, this time for cold temps.

This kind of sounds like my schedule at the moment.

Corinna

Following along... Always love your trip reports and happy you are doing another one!!

I'm first!!!!!

Woohooo!!!

Love the NYC trips!

It was fun!

yay!

Oh, that sounds like my personal nightmare. After my work trip next week, we have to drive back up, which is about 3.5 hours and I am dreading it. Fortunately I have to be down there a day earlier than my coworkers and will get to fly down.

3.5 is a lot better than 10 - 15 though. LOL.

That was nice of her and I am glad that you agreed in the end.

Me too. It was so much easier

One would have thought he had learned his lesson by now.

You would think, but I really think he thinks Mom will end up staying home....which has never happened EVER.

This kind of sounds like my schedule at the moment.

It was a busy 2 weeks. But lately I seem to just have a crazy life in general.

Following along... Always love your trip reports and happy you are doing another one!!

Woohooo!!! Thanks for joining.

Following along. As someone who has lived in or near NYC my whole life (I still work in Manhattan 5 days a week), I always enjoy hearing visitors' experiences.

Thanks for joining in!
NYC is a whole different world compared to where we live. It's a lot of fun...to visit. I don't think I would like to live there though. I grew up and still live on a farm. Totally different!

Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2017

This day came fast for me. I had only a few short days at home and it was time to leave again. Honestly I don’t mind this….but Skip does. Hahahaha.

My mom was picking up Claire to head to my sister’s house where they would load the van and be on their way. I was leaving a little later and my Dad was picking me up to take me to the airport.

The family was ready to head out!

nyc54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Abby is patiently waiting for them to load the van.

nyc55 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And their ready to go!!!

nyc57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

nyc56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

In the meantime, Dad picked me up. I was just going to take a carryon and send the rest of my stuff with Claire, but since they had so little room, I checked my bag. My sister thought I should have taken Claire’s bag too, but there was no way I could have handled my carryon and checked bag, plus one more.

Dad told me he was already regretting his decision not to go. He even admitted that from now on he will say yes and then if he can’t go, then he won’t…but we all know…he will go.

He dropped me off at the Delta terminal and I said good bye!

dtw1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I was early, so I didn’t rush in. I have TSA precheck as well, so I typically get through the lines fairly fast.

Once I made my way in I looked around a bit and the terminal was already decorated for the holidays.

dtw2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dtw3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got some McDonald’s to eat and then sat down and set up my laptop and got ahead on some work till it was closer to my boarding time. I don’t fly Delta a whole lot and I never understand how the loading zones works….except that I am never in the first one.

Finally I boarded and got settled in. It’s been a few years since I flew Delta, and it was nice to see the screens on the back of the seats and that they had plugs for charging devices. I wish all planes had this!

Soon we were taking off and in the air!

dtw4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I took pictures randomly out the window to see if I could see any landmarks…and I didn’t.

dtw5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dtw6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And we’re coming in for a landing!!!!!

dtw7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dtw8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now my Uncle Geoff used to travel to New York all the time for business. He gave me the low down basically. He told me to fly into LaGuardia. He said really the best way to get to our hotel was a taxi. I had read also on other reviews not to use Uber from the airport. I looked at some shared shuttles just to price compare, but the extra time made them not worth it for me.

We were staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. A taxi with tip is roughly $50-$55 each way.

I gathered my bag and this is the first airport I have ever been to where they check your bag number against your claim ticket. Maybe this is true for all busy airports, but I have never run into that before. Good thing I had it easily available.

The weather wasn’t too horrible. It could have been worse. I think they were having an unseasonably warm day if I remember right.

I got in the taxi line and waited for my turn and then headed off to the Marriott.

As we got into Manhattan I started clicking my camera…but most shots were pretty bad!

nyc276 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Soon we were pulling up to the Marriott.

nyc105 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got my things and paid my driver and headed inside. The lobby is not on the main floor and you have to go up to get to it, so I punched in my floor request and it gave me the elevator I was to use to get there.

I got in line then to check in. Of course my room was not ready. There seemed to be some confusion. Geoff has stayed here many many times. He knows people that work here. He put in the request for my room to be ready, but they said it wasn’t. Yet they told me everyone else is already checked in. Um no….they are in Pennsylvania somewhere right now. Geoff said he did not do online check in either. So sadly, I had to store my bags for now. They put in a “rush” to get my room ready….and that didn’t do anything either. Geoff told me later, I should have asked to just get one of the other rooms to put my things in. Of course we didn’t think of it at that time.

So I have time to kill….let’s enjoy the weather!

nyc106 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Hello Times Square!

nyc107 by Jenseib, on Flickr

time8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

In the meantime…I am getting texts from the family.

nyc131 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yep, they are still driving and I am here already!

nyc277 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I walked around a bit and my feet were killing me. I had on these short cowboy boots that are normally comfy, but after walking a bit I was already forming a blister on the ball of my foot. I decided to go in and check if my room was ready.

marquis1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marquis2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

No such luck. I went to the luggage storage area and asked if I could change my shoes….they let me in the room and I found my bag and made the exchange. Go Walks! Much better!

I headed up to the perks club room then. I was hoping for a snack to tie me over. Unfortunately they weren’t putting out the hot stuff yet for another hour or so. I grabbed 2 small cottage cheeses and a drink.

Well time was going fast and I was meeting up with 2 friends tonight to see a show! Both are former co-workers and live in the area….somewhat. Nikki and Brook! Now if you read my last report about my trip to Ft. Lauderdale…you will have noticed Brook was there as well.

Nikki belongs to some website where they offer discounted show tickets closer to the date. She had messaged Brook and I last week while we were in Ft. L and gave us some choices. Avenue Q was the winner. It’s a show that also uses puppets….that look like muppets….but it is adult content. After seeing it, I don’t think I would bring Claire to see it yet either and she can handle quite a bit….but just a bit too much adult content for her yet.

So I walked around some more as I waited for Nikki to text me to let me know she was in the city and then to park at a garage.

And the family is still making their way here.

nyc58 by Jenseib, on Flickr

nyc59 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was starting to get dark now and I just hung out around my hotel waiting for Nikki.

nyc108 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I decided to wait at the entrance area as she was working her way to Time’s Square.

nyc109 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I sent a picture of this limo to the family and said “I see you arrived! LOL”

marquis3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Nikki couldn't find the Marriott, so I walked out and found her right away. If you don’t know where to go, it can be a little hard to find.

We were both starving now so we decided to find a place to eat. There is basically an Irish Pub on every corner of Times Square. We settled on one that didn’t look busy and went in. O’Lunney’s Times Square Pub.

nyc278 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I got fish and chips and they were good.

nyc279 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We chatted and had a nice time. We finished and paid our bills and headed out. Brook was now on her way into town and we were going to go meet up with her. Brook broke her foot months ago and it has been a very slow process healing so she was going to try and get off the subway very close to the show so she wouldn’t have to walk so much.

Another text from the family…..they are getting close.

nyc61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Nikki and I found Brook and we still had time so we thought we would go to another pub and have a drink….And look what we found right where we met Brook.

nyc280 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Emmett O’Lunney’s

They had similar food on the menu, but not all the same. I assume they are related.

Brook got some food and Nikki and I just a drink…but then we nibbled at Brook’s food.

We then headed to the theatre and Nikki picked up the tickets and we headed downstairs. This place was neat and had several theatres with different shows.

We took a selfie then.

aveq by Jenseib, on Flickr

We got some drinks and found our seats.

nyc110 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Sadly the seats are teeny tiny for this bootie of mine and I felt squashed and had major restless legs going. I think it was also still lack of sleep from the trip last week….but I felt squirmy!

However the show was great and we really enjoyed it. We were shocked at some young kids in the row in front of us and this show was much too mature for them. I am pretty easy going and I know Claire is mature enough to see many things that other parents probably don’t let their kids see, but even this was a bit too much for her. Just for instance….there was a sex scene with the puppets…and though it was hilarious….it was pretty mature too.

The show ended and we made our way out.

The family had now arrived and were getting something to eat.

nyc132 by Jenseib, on Flickr

nyc133 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We walked Brook back to her subway and then said our good byes and parted ways. Nikki and I went a little further and then she moved on and made sure I knew the way back….and I did.

It was so nice to see both of them again. Yes, I had just seen Brook, but I enjoy my time with her so any time I can see her is great.

I haven’t seen Nikki in a few years, so it was wonderful to see her again. I had a great time with both.

I'm here!

I wouldn't want to be stuck in a van for that long either! Ave Q is a fun show! Very adult but very funny.

Jill in CO

Hi Jen :wave: joining in. I remember reading both of your family trip reports. I'm sure this one will be great as well.

I’m in! Looking for some tips for our upcoming trip! I’d never read your last tr for NYC so I just finished that one! We’re driving straight thru, unless we find super cheap fares, but theres less nonstop options out of cle...

Sounds like a fun first day...I love New York...such a fun city!

It is really a great place

I'm here!

I wouldn't want to be stuck in a van for that long either! Ave Q is a fun show! Very adult but very funny.

Jill in CO

Yay!!! That is a long drive and it was hard last time and I get worse with anxiety each year.
Yes, it was a funny show. I did a lot of laughing. Nikki posted our pic to facebook and one of the cast members liked it.

Hi Jen :wave: joining in. I remember reading both of your family trip reports. I'm sure this one will be great as well.

Thanks for joining in.

I’m in! Looking for some tips for our upcoming trip! I’d never read your last tr for NYC so I just finished that one! We’re driving straight thru, unless we find super cheap fares, but theres less nonstop options out of cle...

Where are you guys staying at? How many will be going? For 2, flying wouldn't be bad but when you start adding more and more then the price goes up.

A little late, but I am here to read ....... ;)

Nah..I am just getting started....and slowwwwww

I headed back to the Marriott found my family finishing up eating.

nyc134 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I guess they had the slowest waitress ever and they had been there for a long time. They paid their bills and I went to get my luggage and we all headed to our rooms.

Great views from our rooms.

nyc62 by Jenseib, on Flickr

nyc111 by Jenseib, on Flickr

nyc112 by Jenseib, on Flickr

time1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We had better views this time than the last time we were here.

time3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

time2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I didn’t take pictures of the room this time (at least I don’t think I did). So I will post ones from last trip since the room is pretty much the same. You will see my dad….but he did not come on this trip.

marriott12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This couch/chair pulls out into a bed.

marriott14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I don’t remember exactly what we did, but I think we went and got some cheesecake at Juniors (soooo good) and hung in Aunt Mary, Geoff, and Amanda’s room. I know we did some giggling and just had some fun. Mom was tired and always went to bed early.

We had decided that Claire and Mom were going to sleep together as Claire and I don’t do well together in a smaller bed together. We kick and move too much and drive each other crazy.

We got back to the room and Mom was out…and totally stretched out across the WHOLE bed. Claire was like…Um where am I going to sleep? LOL. I told her to just hop in with me. You are probably wondering why no one is using the pullout chair….well Claire slept on it last trip and said it was horrible. We had promised she would not have to sleep on it this trip.

So we laid down and I tossed and turned all night. Claire was actually fine and didn’t bother me one bit…but the bed was hard as a rock. I woke up super early and just couldn’t take it anymore. I got dressed and went for a walk and also went outside to get some fresh air. When I came back in Mom had gotten up to use the bathroom and I told her I was going to pull out the chair bed and give it a try. I slept soundly for about another 2 hours. It was soooo much better than the bed. Perfect! We each had our own sleeping spot now!

We are staying at a small homey b& b on Staten Island. Its called Harbor House and looks like it has a great view of the city and harbor. Our 5 nights are going to cost about what 1 night in Manhatten would cost. Although ‘18 is going better than last year, we’re still keeping a tight rein on the budget.

Dad told me he was already regretting his decision not to go. He even admitted that from now on he will say yes and then if he can’t go, then he won’t…but we all know…he will go.

Wow, I wonder if he will follow through on this promise.

I don’t fly Delta a whole lot and I never understand how the loading zones works….except that I am never in the first one.

I used to fly with them a lot and never worked this out either. We tended to end up in group 3 or 4.

I gathered my bag and this is the first airport I have ever been to where they check your bag number against your claim ticket. Maybe this is true for all busy airports, but I have never run into that before. Good thing I had it easily available.

That is a new one for me, too and I have flown into a number of huge airports.

Well time was going fast and I was meeting up with 2 friends tonight to see a show! Both are former co-workers and live in the area….somewhat. Nikki and Brook!

That is nice that this worked out.

Sadly the seats are teeny tiny for this bootie of mine and I felt squashed and had major restless legs going. I think it was also still lack of sleep from the trip last week….but I felt squirmy!

I love going to the theater and especially to musicals, but I always struggle with this. My main issue is the legroom and the effect this has on my knees.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!