• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yet another question from a newbie....

MomofCKJ

<font color=teal>I just lost steam at about 5 minu
Okay, my question, and I have read things on this but I just want to super duper clarify it so I understand.

When does the clock start for sweeping? When *you* cross the starting line or when the very last racer crosses the starting line? Do I have 16 minutes from when I cross the line to make that first mile or do I really have a little longer if it is from when the last racer crosses the line? And I've been doing a 12-ish minute mile but I still worry about the dreaded sweepers!

And does the crowd ever thin out at all? I can't imagine 17000 people! Are you crowded for the first couple of miles? When does it start to spread out a bit?

Thanks so much from a getting nervous first timer!

Allyson

Allyson, I don't know the answers to your questions, as I am a newbie myself. I just wanted you to know that I also do a 12-ish min/mi, so if you're in danger of being swept, which I don't think you are, then I'll be right there with you! :upsidedow

Sweep clock starts when the last person crosses the start line. If you're not last, you have a built in cushion.

WDW is a crowded race. You'll never feel lonely while you're out there. It does thin out some, but you may find you're dodging people most of the race. I think the worst parts are the start and leaving MK when it's down to one lane on the road.

You guys have a great pace...you'll both do fine! I usually hang around 12 min or slower and have never seen the sweepers. Just relax and enjoy the race. In my first half, I didn't really feel like I was going to beat the sweepers until around mile 9. You go up the overpass on the way back to EPCOT and look back toward MK...when I saw the thousands of people behind me, I knew they'd have to do a lot of sweeping to catch me!

You go up the overpass on the way back to EPCOT and look back toward MK...when I saw the thousands of people behind me, I knew they'd have to do a lot of sweeping to catch me!

This is one of the coolest parts of the race. To see that group behind you, in front of you and if you look to your right after you reach the top of that 1st overpass (Mile Marker 10 is right before you go up that curving ramp), you will see the runners surrounding you. I get chills, it really hits home that I am doing this thing. That i am actually doing a Half Marathon. ME! LOL

I'm not crazy about the overpasses (who realy is? lol) but seeing the line of people all heading to one finish and being a part of it is a ....:goodvibes feeling.

Mel, I think mine was more like "they don't have enough buses to get THEM and ME " LOL

Happy Holidays!!!!!! :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter