Yee Haw Bob Sexual Harrassment

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Lesley Wake, Nov 11, 2017.

1. mummabear

mummabear DIS Veteran

I don’t think anyone has been run out of this thread at all.
    Unlike her post where people are calling for his head.

It seems here people are willing to believe her but see some issues with her story:
    -Really she has been tramatized for 6 years from a butt grab?
    -She is contradicting herself, is it 6 years or 4?
    -She has photo evidence but is not willing to share it
    -No one else has come forward, he has played thousands of shows, is it likely that if he was the pervert she claims that she would be the only person to come out accusing him?
    -Disney’s supposed $500 cheque seems sooo unlikely. They would a) not want to admit fault b) not be the kind of company to be stupid enough to do so without a nda being signed c) who rips up a cheque even one you are offended by?
    -She has continued to promote a business that she feels has swept her “sexual assault” under the carpet even though she was so offended that she ripped up a cheque?
    -Disney is not the sort of company to have risked keeping him on staff if they had any doubt about his innocence, their reputation is too important and while he is popular he is hardly someone worth carrying any risk for.

No one has suggested that she has made the whole thing up, but many feel that while she may have interpreted the situation in this way that he (and other reasonable people) would interprite it differently.

Lastly what people are questioning is some people’s desire for people to believe accusers immediately and without question. I wouldn’t want to live in any society where we assume guilt until the accused can prove innocence.

Ajax, fla4fun, PollyannaMom and 15 others like this.
  2. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>

This is my problem with the whole thing. It isn't uncommon for innocent people to be accused of horrible things. It's terrifying to think the closed minded lemmings that automatically believe the accuser in all situations may actually control my or anyone else I loves fate at some point. I know two people who were falsely accused of horrible crimes. One lost everything, including his health, before the truth was eventually revealed. As is the case many times, it was a personal vendetta. Trial by social media is totally irresponsible. An adult should never find that acceptable much less encourage it. I believe in the truth. We haven't heard nearly enough to form an opinion on what that is. Without proof, the mature, responsible person waits for evidence, before crucifying anyone whether that be the accuser or the accused.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. gwynne

gwynne Ad astra per aspera

I just used the new post button, new posts popped up like usual including recent posts from this thread. Maybe there was a brief glitch or something when you tried.

tikkipoo likes this.
  5. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

Except that isn't true. On the FB post the only viewpoint allowed is "he is guilty and no proof is needed. No discussion is allowed that doesn't agree with this viewpoint".

The opposite of that would be "he is innocent and no proof is needed. No discussion is allowed that doesn't agree with this viewpoint". That isn't what you have here. The basic consensus here is "no one knows what happened but I want proof before determining guilt". That should be the only actual viewpoint, skepticism in the absence of proof. It is the foundation of our entire legal system and the same burden of proof that exists in a count of law should exist in the court of public opinion.

tcufrog, Ajax, Mome Rath and 11 others like this.
  6. aristocatz

aristocatz DIS Veteran

I'm kind of neutral on whether or not I buy the story. I know just about as much about Yeehaw Bob as I do about the accuser. Could be true though-just because you work for Disney, it doesn't make you exempt from being gross.

7. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice A Disboards original...

I’ve seen Bob perform three times. He interacts with his audience and encourages their participation in the show. He kept it clean even with guests who had a few too many.

His show is lots of fun, and it really makes me sad to think it could be gone because one woman believes he pinched her rear end 4 or 6 years ago.

SpaceMtnGirl, Sue M, robinb and 6 others like this.
  8. mummabear

mummabear DIS Veteran

It certainly doesn’t.
    However I have a hard time believing that Disney would allow an employee to stay on after they have been investigated if there was any doubt.

9. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Wow!!
    What a one period in life only time frame mistake I made.
    Attended an after party at a new clothing designer' debut and gushed nothingness to him; even I knew I was talking stupid.
    Realized it was time to get past passionately discussing Sesame Street and talk to non kid centric adults. Went back to college in part as a result of that night's fiasco; so refreshing.

We are empty nester adults. "Family friendly" is only a necessary part of our vocabulary when interacting with 2 generations back, LOL. I'm perfectly fine that my DGD is past the character meeting fixation yet would gladly vie for meals at BOG et al if that would make her happy.
    You learn to adjust to the changes life brings you ....well at least we did.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. gwynne

gwynne Ad astra per aspera

We are adults with grown kids (and grand children) as well. The term family friendly to me just identifies entertainment fine for all ages. It wasn't meant to mean anything more than that.

11. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Good and glad you understand what I'm saying.
    We are not restricted to enjoying entertainment that isn't appropriate for children.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I just wanted to relay an email conversation I had with Bob, as his side isn’t being heard. He said this is a terrible time for him, but he will get thru it. He also said “I simply did not do what this woman has accused me off.”

I can’t imagine what he must be going thru. If it were me being falsely accused of something I didn’t do, and mounted an internet smear campaign against me, I would fall apart. The way Michelle has gone about doing this IMO is beyond irresponsible.
    I’m glad there are people in this community who aren’t acting like lemmings blindly following because one person said so.

13. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

Quite. From my own point of view (as the owner and admin of portorleans.org) I would normally cover a 'story' like this which relates very closely to Port Orleans on the site's news pages. When I first read the original Facebook post I was even considering whether I should do so straight away. However the reaction of the followers of that post to my own comment (presumably they are mostly the poster's friends) crystallised my decision pretty quickly. The hostile and vitriolic responses that I got were more than sufficient to determine that this was indeed quickly becoming a witch-hunt or smear campaign based (at this point anyway) solely on one Facebook post and her friends' belief that this was an accurate recounting of the event, and that further publicity was in fact what they were seeking.

I will of course report it should the story become evidence-based and mainstream, probably from the overall perspective of "Bob Jackson rebukes Facebook allegations of inappropriate behaviour" unless any evidence to the contrary emerges.

MODS: Given that this thread comes up in searches, might it be a good idea to slightly tone down the emotive subject headline? Perhaps something like "YeHaa Bob Jackson Inappropriate Behaviour Allegations" ? Thanks.

Andre

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Ajax, JerseyJanice, gwynne and 4 others like this.
  14. Mermaid02

Mermaid02 DIS Veteran

To me it is almost a mass hysteria in this country right now and reminds me of the Red Scare of the 40s and 50s .... people accused with absolutely NO proof of a crime... lives are indeed going to be ruined by this. Jobs will be lost, families will be divided and the stigma of being accused will stick with some forever. This is turning into a modern day Salem.

brookmey, sibesx2, mom2rtk and 8 others like this.
  15. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Yes, these are both very good comparisons. And it's scary that after all our advances we can still let mob mentality take over at times.
    I do recognize that it's hard to impossible to prove sexual assault in many cases but that can't let us just assume all accusations are valid. I don't claim to know the answer but I know embarking on a smear campaign is NEVER the answer.

16. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

I have thought of him often since this broke and while I don't know him at all I have imagined that he is having a horrible time with this. I have the impression that his career and name is his life. Yeeha Bob is more than his persona and if he can't be him any more I truly worry how he'd handle it. Maybe I'm way off base, I hope so

17. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Yes, I worry too.

JerseyJanice and DaisyDuck001 like this.
  18. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

Slightly :offtopic: but Disney related...

https://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

Lemmings have been severely misunderstood for decades, & as a nature lover this fallacy partially popularized by Disney bothers me tremendously.

lemming-3.jpg

Give these cuties a break from tragically incorrect humans.

19. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

That is where I part ways. I feel the credibility of corporations are gone.

Has Disney made a formal statement yet? Or is this isolated to a couple of boards.

20. BigAlsGal

BigAlsGal DIS Veteran

I mean. I know this is a public forum. People are allowed to discuss anything they want. I feel this thread may be causing him harm. This thread comes up in google search. Maybe we could all agree that discussing this could be hurting him even though most of us are on his side. Is there any way we can get this thread to go away? Maybe title it something else? I don’t know. I just feel terrible. :guilty:

Sue M, robinb, AngiTN and 1 other person like this.
  21. DaisyDuck001

DaisyDuck001 DIS Veteran

Bob has worked very hard his entire life to provide clean and family-friendly entertainment to his audiences, and he has done a fantastic job of this. At the many of his shows which I have attended at various times over the past ten years, I observed him consistently treat every guest with extreme respect. Based on my direct observations at his shows, I believe his behavior is exemplary, and this accusation goes against everything I know about who he is. Those of us who have any kind of career know the extensive effort that goes into establishing and maintaining a positive professional reputation. Your good name is more precious than gold. Each of us works throughout our professional life to maintain that good name. Yet in this new era of internet mob witch hunts, one's professional good name, diligently established over a decades-long career of treating every client with honor, can be destroyed literally overnight by one false accusation. Before you know it, the accusation is being generalized from one alleged incident to a widespread pattern, even if it never happened at all. How would any one of us feel if the title of this thread was our own name followed by the words "Sexual Harassment" even though we never did any such thing? How would you feel? I second the request to the moderator to change the thread title to something less inflammatory. It pains me to see the name of a man whom I fully believe to be innocent, being publicly dragged through the mud. A lifetime history of treating his audience members with respect ought to count for a lot.

Sue M, mi*vida*loca, AliceAnn and 4 others like this.