Xmas and swimming

Dtw002

Mouseketeer
Is there a sweet spot week(s) of being decorated for Xmas while still being able to swim? Are any dvc pools heated?

Thanks

Is there a sweet spot week(s) of being decorated for Xmas while still being able to swim? Are any dvc pools heated?

Thanks
I guess I don't see the correlation between Christmas decorations and swimming, so can't help with that, but ALL Disney pools are heated to around 82 degrees year round.

Thanks....looking to see when you can go down and enjoy the Xmas decorations while still being able to swim...I presume all of the pools are closed now? Wasn't sure how long they are kept open for.

No, they're open 365 days a year, save in really untoward weather conditions. Those are more often "hurricane" than "too cold."

They do close the water parks in cooler weather, but not resort pools.

It's 81 at Bay Lake so I assume people are swimming today. Supposed to be 83 tomorrow.

No, they're open 365 days a year, save in really untoward weather conditions. Those are more often "hurricane" than "too cold."

They do close the water parks in cooler weather, but not resort pools.
I was staying at Beach Club Villas this past January. The same day (Saturday) that there was a blizzard up north, New York City area, the weather was cold, overcast and windy at WDW. Stormalong Bay was closed.

That's an exception case. Were the quiet pools also closed?
I sat by the quiet pool for a while; the one facing the lake. There were two other people there. No one was crazy enough to go in the pool. It was not very pleasant, and I eventually moved to the sun room to continue my reading.
And by the way, I moved to the quiet pool from the beach, because the quiet pool was a little more sheltered. It was unpleasant on the beach, even with a winter jacket.

I'm at the Polynesian right now. Both pools are open, and there were plenty of people swimming in them today. There were also people swimming this evening.

They will close the pools if there are lightning storms coming or if a child has an "accident", but I've never seen them close the pool just for cold weather. As others have said, they keep the pools heated.

The temperature at WDW in December can vary a lot from year to year. The high temperatures this week will be in the high 70s/low 80s all week, great for swimming. But I remember a year when people reported the temperature was in the 30s nearly every day of their stay in early December.

On one of our early December trips, it was quite cold a couple of days and I think the pool was closed because it was too cold for the lifeguards to be out there, even with their heavy jackets. Our room faced the pool bar and I do remember that the bar was closed those days.

I was staying at Beach Club Villas this past January. The same day (Saturday) that there was a blizzard up north, New York City area, the weather was cold, overcast and windy at WDW. Stormalong Bay was closed.

Plain old cold overcast and windy doesn't close a wdw pool. ~35 degrees closes a wdw pool

They will close the pools if there are lightning storms coming or if a child has an "accident", but I've never seen them close the pool just for cold weather. As others have said, they keep the pools heated.

Also if it goes way below 40, in my experience. January marathon weekend '14 and/or '15 that happened.

Op I'm sitting at the VGF pool right now, 12/26, drying off after swimming.

Plain old cold overcast and windy doesn't close a wdw pool. ~35 degrees closes a wdw pool
As I posted above, on January 23 I was at BCV and Stormalong Bay was closed. According to Weather Underground, the temperature that day was 42-51 degrees, with wind gusts up to 34 mph, and zero precipitation.

I guess we've never experienced it being that cold in Florida. Though we have been in the Disney pools when it is cold and we are the only ones in the pool.

As I posted above, on January 23 I was at BCV and Stormalong Bay was closed. According to Weather Underground, the temperature that day was 42-51 degrees, with wind gusts up to 34 mph, and zero precipitation.

Yes I was responding to you. :)

In Orlando, 42 with wind isn't simple plain old cold and overcast. :) That's nasty weather for Orlando, especially for the lifeguards. As I said, they now seem to close the pools when it's in the lower 40s.

For our first trip in the i famous December 2010 the pools were open. But by 2015 or '15 the ones we walked by we're definitely not.

It's not a bad forecast for my home area, but no one with outdoor pools is going to be using them in that weather. :)

Thanks

To be super-clear, it's Florida, and it's usually swimming weather there even in winter. :) Sometimes it'll get nasty but that's an exception.

And frankly the pool at 82 feels amazing when it's 60 or so. You'll want warm clothes and lots of towels when you get out, but the pool itself feels so warm. :)

Thanks

No sweet spot. When we went a few years ago, by the time we left on around the 18th, a cold front had blown through and it was very cold. You have times like this right now and its comfortable swimming. It's like betting on black or red.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter