wwyd??

I know you're not looking for critiques or advice on taking photos but I can't help this one... it's a pet peeve with me especially when somebody takes a photo of me (which is rare...which is why it's a pet peeve.)

I've been known to do it too when I'm in a hurry and want to get that quick shot off.

Watch the feet. Don't amputate. Many a time a great photo has been reduced to a good photo (by me too, not just others) because the subject has been amputated at the ankles. I try to consciously think of that when I frame my shots.

As for taking on such a venture. Good luck to ya. :cheer2: I don't think I'm up for the stress. I agreed to take photos of my cousin's concert recital (actually, a photo of her and all of her students.) You'd think that was easy. NOOOOOOO.... I HATE GROUP SHOTS. I had my strobes and fill lights...but then she came out with a gazillion students. My lights were now useless because there were so many people and so little time to set anything up. I took multiple shots with the strobes (all with ghastly shadows) and then finally took a photo with the iso pushed to 1000 and I took it with existing light. I was so stressed out wondering if I could salvage any of the photos. I had to use two raw images to come up with a satisfactory photo for her. I found out during all this that she was pre-selling the photo to her students. Auggggggggh.... no pressure though... thunk. (I wasn't paid with money, I got m&ms.

THAT is why I'll never do a wedding if I'm their only photographer. I'll gladly be the backup any day. :thumbsup2

The initial weddings you did were for friends, this one is for a stranger, so the bar might be set a little higher.
What are you charging for the wedding? I know you are flattered to have been asked, but you shouldn't give your time and product away.
Be sure to include all of the hours you will spend post-processing the photos into your rate.
Also, be very clear up front whether your price includes a cd of all the digital files or if they will be buying custom prints from you .
You are providing a professional service, be sure to charge accordingly.

Also, I would suggest blurring the backgrounds a bit ( by using a larger aperture) so the wedding couple *pops*. You don't want to lose them in the background.
You might want to practice using a little fill flash, too, so their faces aren't in shadow.

Here are a few things to think about when you do wedding photography:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=745166&postcount=1

good luck!

I am stating I am an amatuer photographer! I have stated that outright before and will continue to state it. BUT friends of ours with very low budgets for their weddings (two different brides, two seperate weddings ) , asked me to do the photos for them. THEY LOVED my work, that is all that counts to me. I am very critical of myself but they loved it. SOOO they were showing off their photos to coworkers and one of them is getting married in Nov this year, her uncle is a well known photographer in Allentown, PA, but she wants him to be in the wedding and have fun and relax. SOOOO she showed him my pics and asked him if he approved of them... HE DID!!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: and now she wants me to do her pictures to. :scared1: :scared1: Would you accept the asking?? Like I said they have seen my work, both edited and raw and still liked them. I am just SOOOO scared to have a professional photographer view my photos. What if I screw something up?? I know ALWAYS shoot in RAW. BUT yikes.:scared1:

I have done many weddings as a non pro back up photographer, for friends and work colleagues. I do this as part of the wedding gift.

I let the pros do all the set piece shots with the wedding group and I just stroll around doing candids of the wedding group and guests using a long lens and fast film 400asa. I always flash fill.

Genarally I get the standard enprints done and then offer to take orders for enlargments. Most guests and wedding groups love the candids as they capture the humour and emotions of the day together with those off camera intimate moments. Most of my shots are head and shoulder stuff which can be very intimate. I also helps if you know who is who in the family and friends.

I would not want to be the paid main guy as I would have to do all the set piece stuff and get some kind of insurance cover for lost photographs. If something goes wrong it could cost a lot of mullah to re stage the shots.

I am just practicing with my digital SLR and am almost ready to do another.

If you do go ahead.

1 get some insurance.

2 get a mate to act as back up to do the candids and maybe back up one or two of the most expected set pieces.

3 hire or borrow a spare camera body, carry spare batteries and switch storage media frequenty, that way all cannot be lost at the same time ;)

I've never professionally shot a wedding, though I have videoed a bunch and been the backup photographer on one. I do take my camera to every wedding I go to and shoot pics for my own memories, and always send links to the family so they can see my pics and print any that they like. Sometimes they come out well, sometimes they don't.

I would not take a wedding job, paid or not, for a relative, friend, co-worker, or stranger, at my level of skill. I can't do it; I know that it's beyond my level of skill to do an entire wedding as the primary photographer and get everything right. I also don't have all of the necessary equipment - lenses, meters, flashes, etc. - to do a proper job.

fortheluvofpooh, your skill level in composition seems a bit higher than mine, and I think you could do a wedding, but the overall quality of your work wouldn't be as high as some expensive pros. After all, we still can't tell whether that's a white dress or a blue dress; with a pro, there would be no doubt. As someone else said, your pics look like those of a skilled ameteur. More skilled than me, in point of fact, but an ameteur nonetheless.

The bride may have seen your work and approved of it NOW, but she's not looking at HER wedding pics and will probably have a much more critical eye when she does. Every flaw, and everything that's not a flaw but doesn't conform to her prior expectations, will jump out at her like a strobe, and she will either complain about them to you, or complain to everyone else but you. You need to be prepared for that - because even if you do everything perfectly, there will always be something in those pics that the bride, the groom, or the mothers will see as a flaw, whether it is or not.

I also recommend that if you are considering becoming a professional photographer, you should start accepting any and all criticism, hints, suggestions, and critique that is offered, whether you asked for it or not. When you are shooting purely for your own amusement, nobody's opinion matters but your own. But when you are being paid to shoot pics for others, then you need to shoot in a manner that conforms to the cutstomer's expectations, and your own opinion becomes the least important. Other photographers here have offered advice on how to meet most brides' expectations, based on their years of experience shooting weddings, and you don't seem to want it. That's a mistake, a huge one.

In the end, only you can decide whether you are ready to shoot a wedding professionally, and whether you are ready to handle the many difficulties associated with a wedding shoot, including:

*the hyper-critical nature of a client who demands nothing short of perfection
*the chaos of the actual shoot, with hundreds of guests around
*the uncooperative nature of your subjects, including kids in tuxes and dresses who won't sit still for posed shoots
*Aunt Marge and her instamatic constantly blocking your shots
*insane lighting and exposure difficulty inherent in shooting pics with a WHITE dress next to a BLACK tux and still getting the skin tones neutral and smooth
*the many demands on the couple's time that may prevent you from getting your posed shots before they take off jackets, veils, etc anc get all sweaty from dancing or drunk from champagne

If you think you can handle all of that, and still handle the potentially harsh critique when you deliver the pics, then maybe you have what it takes to be a professional wedding photographer. If not - I certainly don't - then think about this job really, really hard before you accept.

One other piece of advice - relative, friend, or stranger, if they're paying you for the job, GET A SIGNED CONTRACT! Spell out what your responsibilities are in precise legal detail and get it signed. Most of the time you won't need it, but every once in a while, a bride or a mother start making demands for things that were never part of your initial agreement, and if you don't have a contract to prove that they weren't, they can easily get indignant and make all sorts of trouble for you. You may think you can do things on a hand shake now, but without that contract to back you up, things can get real ulgy, real fast.

I know you're not looking for critiques or advice on taking photos but I can't help this one... it's a pet peeve with me especially when somebody takes a photo of me (which is rare...which is why it's a pet peeve.)

I've been known to do it too when I'm in a hurry and want to get that quick shot off.

Watch the feet. Don't amputate. Many a time a great photo has been reduced to a good photo (by me too, not just others) because the subject has been amputated at the ankles. I try to consciously think of that when I frame my shots.
I had to comment on this because I think it's an excellent point that lots of us can learn from.

And lest fortheluvofpooh thinks I can dish it out but not take it, I'll post an example from a recent shoot of mine to show that lots of us amateurs make this mistake fairly frequently.

I've been doing photos for good friends of ours since their puppy was born. I made an album for them (for fun, and free) with the idea that they'd add to it as the pup grew. Last weekend we were going out walking and my friend asked if I'd do some more photos as the little guy is growing fast. I realized when I got home I'd done the amputation thing in a lot of them (here both the foot and the tail!) In my own defense, it was challenging trying to get him to sit still long enough to properly frame the shot, and the bright sun and reflection in the sand made it difficult to see the LCD screen (not to mention the chaos my own dog and children brought to the scene). My friend was still happy with the pictures; I wasn't, really. Fortunately, I can do lots more with no pressure. The big thing is I think I learned from it and will do my best to be careful about it in the future.

P9217029.jpg

I've never professionally shot a wedding, though I have videoed a bunch and been the backup photographer on one. I do take my camera to every wedding I go to and shoot pics for my own memories, and always send links to the family so they can see my pics and print any that they like. Sometimes they come out well, sometimes they don't.

I would not take a wedding job, paid or not, for a relative, friend, co-worker, or stranger, at my level of skill. I can't do it; I know that it's beyond my level of skill to do an entire wedding as the primary photographer and get everything right. I also don't have all of the necessary equipment - lenses, meters, flashes, etc. - to do a proper job.

fortheluvofpooh, your skill level in composition seems a bit higher than mine, and I think you could do a wedding, but the overall quality of your work wouldn't be as high as some expensive pros. After all, we still can't tell whether that's a white dress or a blue dress; with a pro, there would be no doubt. As someone else said, your pics look like those of a skilled ameteur. More skilled than me, in point of fact, but an ameteur nonetheless.

The bride may have seen your work and approved of it NOW, but she's not looking at HER wedding pics and will probably have a much more critical eye when she does. Every flaw, and everything that's not a flaw but doesn't conform to her prior expectations, will jump out at her like a strobe, and she will either complain about them to you, or complain to everyone else but you. You need to be prepared for that - because even if you do everything perfectly, there will always be something in those pics that the bride, the groom, or the mothers will see as a flaw, whether it is or not.

I also recommend that if you are considering becoming a professional photographer, you should start accepting any and all criticism, hints, suggestions, and critique that is offered, whether you asked for it or not. When you are shooting purely for your own amusement, nobody's opinion matters but your own. But when you are being paid to shoot pics for others, then you need to shoot in a manner that conforms to the cutstomer's expectations, and your own opinion becomes the least important. Other photographers here have offered advice on how to meet most brides' expectations, based on their years of experience shooting weddings, and you don't seem to want it. That's a mistake, a huge one.

In the end, only you can decide whether you are ready to shoot a wedding professionally, and whether you are ready to handle the many difficulties associated with a wedding shoot, including:

*the hyper-critical nature of a client who demands nothing short of perfection
*the chaos of the actual shoot, with hundreds of guests around
*the uncooperative nature of your subjects, including kids in tuxes and dresses who won't sit still for posed shoots
*Aunt Marge and her instamatic constantly blocking your shots
*insane lighting and exposure difficulty inherent in shooting pics with a WHITE dress next to a BLACK tux and still getting the skin tones neutral and smooth
*the many demands on the couple's time that may prevent you from getting your posed shots before they take off jackets, veils, etc anc get all sweaty from dancing or drunk from champagne

If you think you can handle all of that, and still handle the potentially harsh critique when you deliver the pics, then maybe you have what it takes to be a professional wedding photographer. If not - I certainly don't - then think about this job really, really hard before you accept.

One other piece of advice - relative, friend, or stranger, if they're paying you for the job, GET A SIGNED CONTRACT! Spell out what your responsibilities are in precise legal detail and get it signed. Most of the time you won't need it, but every once in a while, a bride or a mother start making demands for things that were never part of your initial agreement, and if you don't have a contract to prove that they weren't, they can easily get indignant and make all sorts of trouble for you. You may think you can do things on a hand shake now, but without that contract to back you up, things can get real ulgy, real fast.
this is excellent advice for anyone in business but remember, the contract is only as good as the parties signing it. also be as precise as possible, maybe get a list of who/what they want to photograph before the wedding so you can be prepared.
also get a deposit and naturally don't give them the photos till you have the money in hand.;)
pean me makes a good point...it's easy to forget something just out strolling around taking photos, much easier when you are in the middle of chaos

I misread the original post. I thought you were talking about shooting a friends wedding. Never shoot a non-friend's wedding. Bride's are psycho. Avoid working for them at all costs. In the rare event that a bride isn't totally mentally unhinged, their mothers usually are.

fortheloveofpooh at the end of the day no one here can tell you to do or not to do the wedding, it is not our place to do that. You need to ask yourself some basic questions.

Can you do what the bride and groom want?
Do you have the equipment to do the wedding?
How much to charge?
-Now keep in mind when someone pays you, the bar is raised. Also do not rely on the uncle to help you, he was not hired to photograph the wedding, you are.

You have been given some great tips on what to do, if you go ahead with the wedding. I would like to add if it has not been said yet, you should have a back up camera, lens and flash. You never know when one might break on you.

I misread the original post. I thought you were talking about shooting a friends wedding. Never shoot a non-friend's wedding. Bride's are psycho. Avoid working for them at all costs. In the rare event that a bride isn't totally mentally unhinged, their mothers usually are.

this thread contains a lot of good advice, but I think this is the best advice of all, this is why I turn down almost all wedding offers.

You are too funny! Crack me up! :rotfl2:

Weddings and brides are an entirely different ball game. Period. Their expectations are so wild and so crazy... you NEVER know what you are going to get. I'm lucky that I've only had a few of the crazy's and most of my couples are awesome. But one bride can really do some damage to your business and self-confidence. A lot of the time it isn't even about the photography per se - you could be the best of the best, but still get a heavy dose of criticism. Brides tend to look at themselves and are really critical.

I might add... wedding days are really crazy. There is a lot going on, a lot of different emotions playing out around everyone, and there are a lot of family dynamics. You never know what kind of light or time you are going to have, most of the time you have little information about the locations, people, timings... it's a lot of flying by the seat of your pants. Honestly... sometimes navigating the day is harder than the actual shooting part!

Being 'one' with your camera and being comfortable taking charge around the chaos is vital. You can't be worried about your settings or composition. And you can't rely on an uncle walking through the formals with you three days prior - because something may not work on the actual day and you need to make a last minute change. These things have to come naturally and be second nature so that you can deal with the craziness of stuff like divorced parents fighting, drunk groomsmen, missing flower girl, etc. The list goes on! Trust me, no one will listen to you the day of, no one will be on time, and everyone will have their own agenda.

I touched on this in my original post... but subsequent posters have also said... get a contract. Period. Don't shoot for free... because then that will be the expectation for everything... free. Make sure you have the right equipment.

I can't tell you to either do it or not, it sounds like you are going to take the job. Just realize what you are getting yourself involved in because it sounds like you have the desire to do well, and that is great!! I just hope that you heed the warnings of those who have done this and prepare yourself adequately. You've gotten a lot of really great advice here.

Everyone has gave you great advice. Let me just add that once you accept money for your photography services, you are a professional photographer. Whether you have the skills required to be called such or not.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable enough to be the primary photographer at anyone's wedding. Shooting for friends is certainly quite different then shooting for pay. There are just way too many variables that could cause problems. Would you be prepared to re-stage the pictures in the event of a major equipment problem? It could happen, and your Disney money could quickly turn into a loss. If you really want to get into wedding photography, I would recommend working with a pro for a few years.
In any event, the decision is yours. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Honestly I wouldn't do it. I personally will not do any kind of business with friends and family. Hard feelings are easy to come by and almost impossible to shake. I know it's flattering to have a pro's approval but you say you've done two weddings. IMO that's not enough to get paid. You're putting yourself in a very precarious position and you're risking a very PO'd bride, not to mention the stress to the friend who recommended you. Things will go wrong and if you're not equipped to handle them it will turn into a disaster fast. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me. This is going to be somebody's memories so I would bear that in mind as well and really weigh it against what would be good for you and what would be good for the Bride and family.

A couple's once-in-a-lifetime wedding is not the place for you to learn how to be a primary shooter at a wedding. The only exception would be a friend who would not have had a photographer at all otherwise. If you're interested in wedding photography, I suggest that you volunteer as an assistant, work your way up to second shooter, then you might be ready to be a primary shooter. Brides will spend more time analyzing and critiquing their own wedding photos than they will of any samples they may have seen prior to the wedding.
If you're accepting money for a wedding shoot, you have an obligation to be professional. That means that you should have a good contract, insurance (some venues require the photographer and other vendors to carry insurance), and back-up equipment (2 cameras, extra flash units, lenses, several memory cards not just one or two big ones etc). I know photographers who shot weddings for free and got sued for emotional distressed because the one and only camera failed during the wedding. Another photographer reimbursed a bride because he tried to fit all the images on one large memory card that failed, losing a huge chunk of the wedding coverage. Yes, it sucked that he lost that money, but even worse was the bad word-of-mouth that he got as a result. The biggest tragedy of all was that the couple would never have images of their wedding day. It should go without saying that you should know your equipment inside and out; you should be able to make adjustments on the fly without thinking about it. You've got to be a people person, but you've got to be politely pushy, taking control when it's necessary.
You also need a thick skin. You didn't solicit critique of your work, but you have to be able to take it if you want to photograph weddings. Judging from the samples you posted, you are definitely not ready to be a paid primary shooter. In fact, I wouldn't hire you as my second shooter based on those images. And before you claim that I haven't seen the other images you took, I shouldn't have to. Professionals know that they should only show their best work... no excuses. Your composition, color correction, posing, and lighting don't come near the baseline of professional work. The samples you posted look like snapshots. The subjects are dead-center, and the negative space surrounding them doesn't do anything to help the composition. As others have mentioned, feet are getting cut off, or touching the frame. The posing and lighting, expressions are not flattering at all. Someone mentioned the poor color correction on the brides's dress (it looks blue), and you got defensive, which tells me that you're not ready. The brides spent countless hours and dollars on all the details of their special day, from the dress, to the flowers, etc.. It's up to the officlal photographer to preserve those details that would otherwise be forgotten. Second only to the bride, in terms of importance, is the dress. You have to capture it accurately (no off color casts) and preserve its details (don't blow the exposure). This may sound harsh, but you need to hear the truth. The most important day in a couple's life is not the time for you to learn photography.

thanks everyone for your input. I am not looking to photograph a big fancy church style wedding with a hall and such. The brides I have done photos for pretty much would not have had photos, unless they were done by the guests at the wedding. And the one in Nov is eloping but wants pictures so they can send out announcements and invitations to their reception. I appreciate all comments and critiques. I know my situation and the reason I am doing it. Thank you again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter