WWYD? Waterproof cameras

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
So, we have been researching waterproof cameras. We have a Panasonic hybrid, Canon G10 and Nikon, so it's strictly for waterparks, cruise, beach and pool. We also have a Canon waterproof film camera that takes awesome photos, but without a screen, it's difficult to work, and the kids can't use it at all.

Have done all of the Internet research (DP Review, CNet, etc.), as well as gone to stores.

We purchased the Olympus TG-310 the other night, with Best Buy's protection plan. We were misinformed about the actual plan, as it's a one time replacement (they send a gift card to buy another camera), and so when you buy a new camera, you have to buy a new plan. This could get costly as water cameras are very finicky. What if we get a few lemons, and they leak, even though we are taking good care of them?

We returned the camera, and have been looking at others: Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus. Not interested in the Sony, as we don't like touch screens at all.

Have held all cameras and the Olympus 8010 (new one is 810) has the best locking system as it's a slide button and locking wheel. The other ones, including the expensive Panasonic, have cheap slide buttons, and based on all of our research, and in speaking with all of the camera companies by phone yesterday, this is the area of weakness with these cameras for leakage.

At this point, we aren't sure what to do, as we didn't want to spend close to $500.00 (Panasonic and Olympus are $400 plus tax here - no accessories included either) for a water camera that will only be used sparingly throughout the year.

We have a gold VISA which doubles our warranty, so we aren't sure if we should just buy the cheaper Fuji as it has a 2 year warrranty, so that would make 3 years? Fuji comes with a silicone skin, floating strap and neoprene bag for $179.00.

Or, buy the more expensive ones, and pay even more for the extra repair warranty (not use our VISA warranty), as they seem to be more sturdy and well built, although the sliding locks are very pathetic, and the battery doors seem very flimsy as welll.

What would you go? We are worried as water cameras are tricky, and so we are looking at the future, should we have to use the warranty.

Tiger

I have had my Olympus Stylus waterproof+shockproof for five years and the waterproofing still works beautifully and it still takes decent pictures (obviously it doesn't compare with my SLR or my mother's new p&s). You may still get a lemon, but I am extremely satisfied with Olympus's reliability and performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter