WWYD? Split Stay between Poly and AKL

erinkristen04

Mouseketeer
WARNING: This will probably be a wordy post, so thanks in advance to anybody who makes it through and offers their perspective! I tried talking it through with my husband and I'm pretty sure he dozed off midway lol, so though I'd come use my favorite Disney people as my sounding board!

We own at Poly, and will be returning later this year with our kids (4 and 6) for their second trip to WDW. Poly is definitely our favorite resort, but AKL is a close second (and the kids have never stayed there before). We were originally planning to allocate our split stay as follows (although I'm now second guessing this allocation):

ARRIVAL DAY: take a later flight, and head to AKL to head straight to sleep
DAY 1: leisurely enjoy our savanna view and let the kids explore the resort. May or may not do a park in the afternoon
DAY 2: Animal Kingdom day! Take advantage of the short bus ride from/to AKL
DAY 3: Hollywood Studios and transfer day! Drop our bags with bell services, head to DHS, and then take the bus to Poly whenever we are done for the day.
DAY 4: Rest day at the Poly (with resort hopping along on the monorail)
DAY 5: Epcot day!
DAY 6: MK Day!
DAY 7: departure day :(

As you can see, initial plan has us with 3 nights at AKL and 4 nights at Poly. I'm wondering if instead we should do 2 nights at AKL and 5 nights at Poly (i.e., at the end of our Animal Kingdom day, taking the bus back to Poly instead of AKL and already being over at Poly for the remainder of our park days). The biggest considerations for this are:

(1) sounds like the room refurb at AKL studios won't be until 2024? The room lay out works just fine, but my kids generally do better when they each have their own bed and the 2 murphy beds at Poly allow for that (versus sharing the pullout couch at AKL). its also nice having that second bathroom at Poly so that DH and I can get ready a little more easily without waking the kids up. At the same time, we are really only talking about one night/morning here though, so is it enough to make a difference? (spoiler alert: i don't know lol)

(2) Hoping to score a pre-lunch Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique time for my daughter on our MK day. Since that's the end of our trip, our 60+ day window for it will be based upon the start of the Poly portion of our trip. We've never done BBB but I've heard its insanely difficult to book and that the more days you have between your booking window opening and the day you're trying to make the reservation, the better your odds are. If we do 5 nights at Poly instead of 4, its just one extra day I'm adding in there and wondering how much it might help our odds re: a BBB reservation?

(3) Since it the kids' first AKL stay, we are hoping to score a Jambo House studio. We don't own at AKL, so we have to wait until 7 months. Figure if only Kidani is open for our dates, then if we only have to waitlist 2 nights at Jambo our odds might be better than if we have to waitlist 3 nights?

However, I'm also hesitant to change our plan because:

(1) It obviously costs more points to switch to Poly lake view (which is what we usually stay)

(2) We'll miss out on taking advantage of the short bus ride back to AKL at the end of our AK day, and then will have a slightly longer bus ride to DHS the following morning if we leave from Poly instead of AKL (my understanding is that its a shorter bus ride from AKL than from Poly but please correct me if I'm wrong!).

(3) I don't want the kids to feel short changed on their AKL time, or like they didn't have enough time to enjoy it and explore.

For what its worth, we will be there when the holiday decorations are up. Anyone ever had similar considerations/concerns/indecisiveness and care to chime in? What would you do?? :)

I love how you worked in a resort day shortly after arrival for both resorts. Either plan seems good honestly. I’d probably leave it as is. 2 nights/2 mornings go so fast.

I think your plan looks great. I have a kids air mattress in my owner's locker my kid likes just fine. You could bring that to AK, if you think it's really an issue. There's plenty of room. Heck, my four year old would have slept on a pack n play mattress or a couch cushion at Disney. Technically they don't give you more sheets, but you'll be able to get a sheet off any cart in the hall.

BBB is very tough. I had to pay for a tracker app to get in, and I was able to get a couple choices. I never even saw a morning one though.

By then, DS BBB might be reopened, that might make the whole schedule more chill, and you do BBB on the rest day.

I don't think Kidani/Jambo matters that much. I'd prefer Kidani because of the pool. The transfer between them is easy. You can take the bus over to Jambo in their jammies and get pics in front of the tree.

Last edited:
I like the plan currently. We have a similar plan for our upcoming trip just in reverse. We start of at Poly standard for 3 nights while we do MK/Epcot and move to a 1 bed at AKL for 4 nights for AK/HS. We just like to end in the 1 bed at AKL for some extra space and doing laundry while having a nice resort only day while there.

Good luck in the planning!

Leave as is… we love splits but like to have at least 3 nights at each location… anything less feels stressful!

We are doing a very similar stay in a couple months! Three nights in an AKV Jambo studio then four nights in a RIV studio. I had a similar plan to do one full resort day at AKV to make the bus situation not as much of a big deal. I think akv is so immersive and feels like a getaway in itself with so much for kids between both pools, the playground, and the animals.

I’m second guessing the location and am contemplating waitlisting one of the new VGF rooms due to having small kids and wanting to be close to mk but I feel like doing this AKV stay will make the trip much more laid back, which will probably be better for our small kids in the end.

I think this plan looks really fun AND relaxing. Now I'm inspired to try a split stay and may "borrow" this exact plan for our Feb. trip...

Hi! Tend to agree with most follks here a split stay less than 3 days seems like a hassle.
Wanted to address the BBB reservation. We just came back from WDW and our 6 y/o daughter was able to do BBB. Highly recommend! I hopped on the app at 11:59pm at the 60 day mark and snagged an 8:50am res. They go in seconds but if you happen to not get what you want definitely join the BBB fb group there are people on there that will help you get what you want and are awesome! Hope you have a great trip! We are planning to split stay AKL and Poly in Dec 2024 cant wait!

Hi! Tend to agree with most follks here a split stay less than 3 days seems like a hassle.
Wanted to address the BBB reservation. We just came back from WDW and our 6 y/o daughter was able to do BBB. Highly recommend! I hopped on the app at 11:59pm at the 60 day mark and snagged an 8:50am res. They go in seconds but if you happen to not get what you want definitely join the BBB fb group there are people on there that will help you get what you want and are awesome! Hope you have a great trip! We are planning to split stay AKL and Poly in Dec 2024 cant wait!
Thank you!! What day of your trip were you able to snag an 8:50? This gives me hope haha!

Thank you!! What day of your trip were you able to snag an 8:50? This gives me hope haha!
It was a Wednesday (our trip was Fri to Fri) I think if you are able to put your MK day a little further in on your trip plans it helps with bbb availability first dibs

I think that is a good split time. If only doing a park a day woukd you consider doing animal kingdom on day 1 and then HS on Day 2? Then just take transfer day as a resort day? We've done the animal kingdom pool and savanna while simply waiting for the room at the next resort and it was a good break in the middle of a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter