WWYD RIV vs AKV

RoseMom

Mouseketeer
Two adults and two kids ages 12 and 4. Currently have 4 nights booked at RIV (home) in a one bedroom standard view villa. Due to flight prices it is much cheaper for us to fly down a day before. Unfortunately, I am out of points! I can either book a cash stay at BC or AKV in a studio the night before we are scheduled to go to RIV or there is availability for me to modify my points reservation for the entire 5 nights at AKV in a one bedroom villa. We have stayed at RIV in the studios before and love RIV. My daughter and I have stayed at AKL (hotel side) before becoming DVC members and also liked AKL. What would you do? This is a resort only stay as we are going in July and this mama isn’t a fan of parks in the summer!

By resort stay do you mean you’re going to camp out all day at your resort, or that you’re just avoiding parks?
If you aren’t planning on resort hopping, Disney springs, etc, then AKL could be great. Lots of things to see, the table service restaurants and lounges are great. In my opinion, the quick service/pool bars aren’t my favorite.
If you want lots options without the parks, Riviera could be great. Skyliner would still be a quick way to expand your restaurant, activity, and shopping options outside of the single resort you’re staying at.

I love and own at both, but for kids that age IMO AKV. More for mom and the kids to see/do. Since you’re not going to the parks that takes out a huge perk of RIV which is skyliner access to the parks.

I would rather stay at AKV-Jambo or AKV-Kidani over RIV because of the theming. I typically have a rental car, so the Skyliner perk doesn't matter.

Another vote for AKL - in a minute. Great, peaceful location, animals, 2 really nice pools, excellent dining options, our favorite buffet (Boma) and counter service (The Mara). Enjoy your stay, no matter the location!

By resort stay do you mean you’re going to camp out all day at your resort, or that you’re just avoiding parks?
If you aren’t planning on resort hopping, Disney springs, etc, then AKL could be great. Lots of things to see, the table service restaurants and lounges are great. In my opinion, the quick service/pool bars aren’t my favorite.
If you want lots options without the parks, Riviera could be great. Skyliner would still be a quick way to expand your restaurant, activity, and shopping options outside of the single resort you’re staying at.
No, we are not staying at resort the entire time, just no parks. We plan to go to Disney Springs, other resorts for some table service meals (we love the quick service at Riviera) and shopping, and maybe mini golf.

IMO, I would buy RIV over AKL without hesitation, because it's a much nicer resort. But in your case, I would also pick AKL just for more to do and see.

I own at both and think there is much more to do at AKV. The only thing that keeps me from picking AKV each time is the bus situation, but my kids are very small and we go to the parks every trip.

I love AKL for the pools, restaurants, and theme, but I'd suggest Riviera for this trip given that Riviera has the murphy beds. In my opinion, a 12 year old is old enough where the AKL pull out couch may be uncomfortable. I believe AKL should be getting the murphy beds in 2024 though, so maybe hold off on staying there until after that refurbishment?

Riviera is beautiful and is very centrally located. Quick skyliner ride over to Boardwalk/Beach Club/Swan&Dolphin for dinner, and it's a short bus ride over to Disney Springs. I say keep the Riviera, and wait to do AKL another year.

I would rather stay at AKV-Jambo or AKV-Kidani over RIV because of the theming. I typically have a rental car, so the Skyliner perk doesn't matter.
This would probably be the deciding factor if I was in OP's shoes. I don't typically do a rental car, so the distance/transportation for me is normally why I stay away from AKL. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think of Disney transportation as less of an issue for parks because at least there are direct routes. For resort only, I'd want to just check in and never leave AKL for the transfers and time that would be required to resort hop is just a lot.

Since you bought RIV I would stay there. There is a reason why you didn´t buy at AKV. I am in the minority, but I don´t like AKV all that much. On our last stay at Kidani with our 4 and 5 yo grandkids we hardly saw any animals. It was our third trip, I keep giving it a try, but I think I am done.

I guess you don´t have points to borrow either.

RIV has non driving access to tons of food options - AK has 3 TS I believe?

But if you have a car - no big deal - i personally would do SSR Congress park and be near the springs with multiple pools and bike paths and be able to park outside your unit

Animal Kingdom! Best restaurants on property and just a complete vacation for a resort only stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter