Wrist strap for DLSR???

wkrider

DVC home: Wilderness Lodge Villas
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a wrist strap for my Pentax K100d. I have looked at several kind and like the kind that attaches to the tripod mount then comes up along the side and attaches to the neck strap hook. Looks like this...
leather_camera_strap.jpg

I think I might also use one of these as a back up just in case it slipped off my hand...
coolanyard-digital-camera-wrist-strap1.jpg

I like carrying my camera in my hand most of the time and I find myself wrapping my next strap around my wrist and it gets a little cumbersome. Does anyone use a wrist strap and if so then what? Thanks.

I do. I use a hakuba strap that looks just like the one pictured. I can hold the camera with one hand and even relax my hand almost comletely and still feel confident that I wil not drop it. Not the same with a wrist strap.

I can change the memory on my XT without moving the strap. But to change the battery I have to loosen the bottom screw and swivel the small plastic base.

I can not stand having anything hanging around my neck. Let alone a 5 pound camera!

Mikeeee

Mine says LH but I use it fine and am right handed. Maybe LH stands for something else..

http://www.shop.com/Hakuba_Camera_Grip_LH,_Grip_Hand_Strap-19647675-p!.shtml?buy=9

19647675.jpg

I do. I use a hakuba strap that looks just like the one pictured. I can hold the camera with one hand and even relax my hand almost comletely and still feel confident that I wil not drop it. Not the same with a wrist strap.

I can change the memory on my XT without moving the strap. But to change the battery I have to loosen the bottom screw and swivel the small plastic base.

I can not stand having anything hanging around my neck. Let alone a 5 pound camera!

Mikeeee

Mine says LH but I use it fine and am right handed. Maybe LH stands for something else..

http://www.shop.com/Hakuba_Camera_Grip_LH,_Grip_Hand_Strap-19647675-p!.shtml?buy=9

19647675.jpg

That is the one I saw at Ritz Camera. Thanks for the info. I was not sure if it would feel secure if I relaxed my hand. Good news. I think I will get it and try it

I do have my index finger outside the loop to be able to get to all the buttons.

Mikeeee

I have the same one also on my K100D. I have not had to keep my index finger out of the loop. It took a little getting used to how it felt, but I really like it now. I do not like things around my neck either, but you do need to be more careful with banging your camera into something with the hand strap.

Kevin

I've been debating for years on getting one,

a few questions for those that use them.

1. what do you do if you stop for a quick drink or let's say a hotdog, at a ballgame or something, I can let mine hang around my neck briefly...?

2. doesn't your hand get tired after a whole day of carrying it ?

3. do any of you have your flash mounted on it while carrying that way, I don't know that I'd like the extra stress on the flash mount. ?

4. anyone use a lens such as an 80-200 2.8 I know it's debatable, but I sometimes carry mine mounted for hours, I feel safe with the lens cradle that I'm avoiding mount damage.., as opposed to supporting this setup by the camera, rather than by the lens as recommended..?

5. if carrying all day, wouldn't that increase the risk of banging it against something, I guess my concern is that if I'm out somewhere shoting al day, my flash is on my camera...? :confused3 :confused3

6. does anybody have this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Hakuba-KGP-01-Camera-Grip/dp/B00004ZCPG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/105-3635674-0385238?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194197592&sr=8-3

7. do any of you have a vertical grip, it seems it would be a minor hastle sqitching to vertical if using a vertical grip..

I have just been wrapping my shoulder strap around my wrist. I will most likely be getting one of these straps though, as I have been looking for one, and this one look pretty good.

my plan would be to keep the loop straps on the camera from the optech, and then just have the strap in the bag, incase I wanted it....

As for carrying in your hand all day, I love doing that, if I left it around my neck all day, my back would be killing me before the day was over. I have carried it with the flash on and no problems.

I seldom walk around with my big lens on though, I use it for sports or specific things, but not often for general usage.

1. I have just been wrapping my shoulder strap around my wrist. I will most likely be getting one of these straps though, as I have been looking for one, and this one look pretty good.

2. my plan would be to keep the loop straps on the camera from the optech, and then just have the strap in the bag, incase I wanted it....

3. As for carrying in your hand all day, I love doing that, if I left it around my neck all day, my back would be killing me before the day was over. I have carried it with the flash on and no problems.

4. I seldom walk around with my big lens on though, I use it for sports or specific things, but not often for general usage.

3. I guess I've gotten in the habit of supporting it with my left arm to give my neck and back a break.

4. sometimes at events like the PA renn Faire I walk around for hours with my 80-200 on camera, wanting to get shots without the actors being aware that I'm shooting them..

I use a similar strap on my camera. My camera has a built in "battery grip". The strap attaches to the top and bottom sides of the camera.

I love it. I use it far more often than I do the neck strap.

1. what do you do if you stop for a quick drink or let's say a hotdog, at a ballgame or something, I can let mine hang around my neck briefly...?
When I'm going to be out for a long day (like a typical WDW day), I use both. The neck strap attaches to the top of the hand strap and to the other side of the camera, so you can use both at the same time.

2. doesn't your hand get tired after a whole day of carrying it ?
When adjusted so that it fits snuggly, your hand doesn't have to grip it with much force at all. To me, that's one of the key benefits of the hand strap. It keeps my camera in hand with almost no extra effort.

Even though my hand is usually OK, my arm gets tired if I spend enough time with it. In those cases, I sometimes revert to the neck strap or I carry it in my other hand (just grabbing the strap with my fingers).

3. do any of you have your flash mounted on it while carrying that way, I don't know that I'd like the extra stress on the flash mount. ?
I do that all the time and have not seen any ill effects on either my flash or hot shoe. Of course, I'm known to be a little reckless.

4. anyone use a lens such as an 80-200 2.8 I know it's debatable, but I sometimes carry mine mounted for hours, I feel safe with the lens cradle that I'm avoiding mount damage.., as opposed to supporting this setup by the camera, rather than by the lens as recommended..?
Again, I do this all the time. I've been doing it with the same lens and camera for about three years and have seen no adverse impact. Of course, that doesn't prove anything and certainly doesn't imply that it is safe for all cameras and all f/2.8 telephoto zooms. I'm just presenting my experience.

5. if carrying all day, wouldn't that increase the risk of banging it against something, I guess my concern is that if I'm out somewhere shoting al day, my flash is on my camera...?
I find it safer than having it dangle on my neck strap. Still, it is a constant concern, especially when walking near kids. In crowds, I often lift it up and carry it on my shoulder. I'm always terrified that I'm going smack a 3 year old in the face with 6 pounds of metal and glass.

7. do any of you have a vertical grip, it seems it would be a minor hastle sqitching to vertical if using a vertical grip.
As stated above, my camera essentially has a built in vertical grip. With my prior camera (Canon 10D), I almost always carried it with the vertical grip on it. In fact, the hand strap that I use would only attach to it with the vertical grip in place. I guess my suggestion would be to either buy two hand straps (one designed for use with the vertical grip and one designed for use without) or buy one for the configuration you most prefer. I don't know of any hand straps that work both ways.

I have to say that the one drawback I've found with the hand strap is that it makes portrait shooting a little more awkward. I am tempted to keep my hand in the strap, but I don't find that nearly as comfortable for shooting portrait shots as having my hand on the portrait grip.

If you aren't particularly interested in a hand strap but are looking for something better than the strap that came with your camera, there are other options as well. I would strongly recommend a good neck strap (the OpTech's seem to be quite popular). You might also talk to WillCAD. I seem to recall him posting something about a new harness he was developing.

I use a similar strap on my camera. My camera has a built in "battery grip". The strap attaches to the top and bottom sides of the camera.

I have to say that the one drawback I've found with the hand strap is that it makes portrait shooting a little more awkward. I am tempted to keep my hand in the strap, but I don't find that nearly as comfortable for shooting portrait shots as having my hand on the portrait grip.

that answers my question about use with the vertical grip, mine is always on the camera since it hold 2 batteries, giving me longer shooting time, plus it has all the usual controls on it, making vertical shooting much easier, so I think it would be a slight delay in switching to vertical mode..

I carry my pentax in a shoulder bag but was thinking about getting this since it has a quick release option so i can secure the camera should i take it out of the bag and carry it for a while anyone ever look into this or heard anything good or bad ?
http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=66&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=

I looked at that one as well, but my DW said that she would not be seen with me if I got it. :rotfl2: You can even switch to holding the cam in your left hand to give your right a break.

Kevin

Hey all,

I am looking at getting a wrist strap for my Pentax K100d. I have looked at several kind and like the kind that attaches to the tripod mount then comes up along the side and attaches to the neck strap hook. Looks like this...
leather_camera_strap.jpg

I think I might also use one of these as a back up just in case it slipped off my hand...
coolanyard-digital-camera-wrist-strap1.jpg

I like carrying my camera in my hand most of the time and I find myself wrapping my next strap around my wrist and it gets a little cumbersome. Does anyone use a wrist strap and if so then what? Thanks.

I just bought one that looks like the top picture..I like the way it feels. I to like to carry my camera in my hand, keeps my neck from getting sore. If I need to store it I just put it in my LowPro real quick.

Thanks for all the replies.

What I do sometimes with my Op/Tech Pro strap is disconnect the quick-release buckles and snap the short ends together and wrap those around the back of my hand - it's hard to explain, but it's sort of a complete loop around my hand before connecting to the camera. I should really take a photo, that would explain it better. Meanwhile, the unused neck portion I snap together around a belt loop.

The advantage is that it's just one strap, easy to switch back and forth, doesn't block anything, doesn't affect putting it on a tripod, and works pretty well. The downside is that it probably doesn't feel quite as secure as one of those thick dedicated wrist straps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter