• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wow, I'm stuck!

Hi Shan..

I think strength training is AWESOME!! Anything that builds muscle is a fabulous way to boost your metabolism and it does continue to burn fat long after the workout is over! :thumbsup2 Weights (lighter weights, more repetitions); pilates, yoga, stability ball work, etc all count as strength training.

However, I just want to caution you on the guy who sells his "Cardio Free Diet". I've looked into this before to advise somebody who asked me about it. What Jim Karas doesn't usually say in his interviews is that for women, his "Cardio Free Diet" consists of maintaining a 1200 calorie diet. 1200 calories!!!! That's not healthy IMO. So he has you do strength intervals 3 times per week and eat basically nothing :(. It's not a healthy way to lose weight. Cardio is so good for your heart and lung capacity. It builds endurance. It needs to be balanced with strength and flexibility.

The other thing I think about running, is that the body gets used to certain muscle activity. Therefore, I highly recommend to my clients and friends that you add other forms of cardio into your week, such as elliptical, biking, swimming etc. I think it helps keep the body on it's toes and thus leads to better metabolism and use of different muscle groups.

You can't go wrong using the strength training as XT :). I highly recommend whatever form works best for you. But please don't fall into that guys trap of no cardio :sad2: ...I truly believe he's just trying to make money off people who don't like to do cardio and want a quick fix.

Best of luck Shan. And for what it's worth...I think you already look fantastic girl! :thumbsup2

Just to further let you guys know how crazy that diet is...for my level of activity, height, age, etc I need 2500 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I want to lose weight...I would drop that by just a few hundred calories.

Of course...if I lower my activity level per his plan, I would not need 2500 calories. But I sure bet I'd need 2000!!! He has me only eating 1200!! You better believe within a few weeks I'd drop a bunch of weight. But no way can I maintain 1200 calories and not feel like garbage. Once the high of losing that weight fast wears off....it would be one tough diet to maintain. Even only having to do 3 workouts per week.

So anyway...I'm sorry to hijack your thread. I just want to make sure that I expose him! It's my mission! :rotfl:

Scott, I want to do the Silver Comet, but it is on a Saturday and DH works Saturdays. I'd have to find a babysitter and go there by myself sooo... it isn't looking good. :lmao: Are you going?

ING training is going well. I ran 8 miles today (a first for me) at a sub 11:00 pace. I hope I can keep this up cause I wanted to complete the ING in under 2:30. We'll see!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm not giving up the running! (I'm a tad hooked right now, despite my extra stubborn pounds. :headache: )

Amy, still looking for a pilates class. The place you suggested the class times just don't work for me with the kids... I'm not giving up, though. I need to do SOMETHING. I was looking into this Bodypump class, but I'm a tad concerned about the stress on the knees... BTW, my Mom signed up for pilates! I'm very excited for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter