• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wow, I am stunned by the events at the Olympic trials...

I just read this in the Community Board and was shocked. I mean, we know that people die doing marathons, usually due to Hyponatremia, unknown heart defects, stuff like that. I wouldn't have thought a 28 year old Marathon Champion would have something like this happen only 5.5 miles in. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Dana

I was also shocked and sadden to read the news of this. You don't expect something like that to happen to someone like him. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I am very shocked about this unfortunate event. I have literally been walking around in a daze since I heard the news. This guy was an elite champion runner who had some of the best training in the world. We know that all of the trials marathoners are in prime shape, which is what makes this even more startling. I guess we need to remember not to take life for granted. At least he died doing something that he enjoyed.

Thoughts and prayers with his family, friends, and teammates.

Paul

I was only 1/4 mile from where he collapsed. We were where they made the first turn through the middle of the park before starting the big loops. Of course I had no idea who it was at the time. It is just awful.
Scott

Shay's father made a statement this morning that his son was diagnosed with an enlarged heart earlier this year, but had the all clear to run again. Shay said that the doctors felt it was safe for now, but expected to have to put a pace maker in at some future date.

It's a real shame that this could have happened.

I got the impression that it wasn't. More of a congenital thing, from what I heard. Recently, I heard that his heart had been a concern since he was 14, but then again, you hear a lot of stuff.

I've been following this story. Here's a quote from the Detroit News (detnews.com):

"But Shay's father told the New York Times late Saturday that his son had been diagnosed with an enlarged heart at the age of 14. And recently, Joe Shay told the Times, a doctor had told Ryan Shay he might need a pacemaker when he was older."

and this from Track and Field:

""They know how he died ... of a cardiac arrest. What caused it is what's in question," his father, Joe Shay, told The Associated Press. "We certainly want to know that as soon as possible. When we know that we'll release that to the public as soon as we can. We're patient."

Joe Shay said Saturday that Ryan was diagnosed with an enlarged heart at age 14. But doctors had repeatedly cleared him for competition, because having a larger than normal heart is not unusual among elite athletes. Training hard in aerobic sports, such as cycling, running or swimming, tends to result in a bigger heart that pumps more blood throughout the body."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter