*Wow - Half Marathon Was SOOO Inspiring...

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
I was so worried about being able to finish without getting swept. I trained, and had some difficulties, and so was really worried about it happening.

However, I got so much encouragement from this list, and I went in, feeling as ready as I think I could have... AND I FINISHED! It felt great! I had tears in my eyes as I finished, and was on Cloud Nine. :cloud9:

I was ahead of my time up til 7.5 miles, when I pulled something. Then, I walked and ran the rest, with the help of BioFreeze.

I was so inspired watching the marathon runners the next day, and talking to people who had NEVER run before and finished the marathon. :worship:

NOW - I am committed to doing the marathon before I am 50!! I have six years - and think I will try in two years, just in case something happens during training.

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me encouragement. It was such a great experience!! :thumbsup2

Congrats on your first!!! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time and are aiming to go again!!! :cheer2:

Happy training!!!!

Congrats on finishing the half, even though you were injured. You can DEFINITELY do the full!!!! I just completed my first full marathon at age 54 and my walking buddy did hers at age 58. We came in towards the back of the pack, but we did it! Gotta love that Mickey medal. Stick with the people on this board and you will have all the encouragement and support you will ever need. YOU CAN DO IT!

Congrats. I hope all goes well in your training this year and you can complete your first Marathon. It's an awesome feeling! :thumbsup2

Congrats on finishing the half, even though you were injured. You can DEFINITELY do the full!!!! I just completed my first full marathon at age 54 and my walking buddy did hers at age 58. We came in towards the back of the pack, but we did it! Gotta love that Mickey medal. Stick with the people on this board and you will have all the encouragement and support you will ever need. YOU CAN DO IT!

It is so awesome that you did the full. It was the number of people I talked to that had completed their first one that convinced me that I could do it.

Did you do an official training program? I have heard about a couple of run/walk programs that seem do-able.

Congrats on completing the half. You should be proud. I did my first full this year at the age of 50, so I know you can do it! I went backwards though as I am going to be doing my first half marathon in another month.

enjoy,
Duane

It is so awesome that you did the full. It was the number of people I talked to that had completed their first one that convinced me that I could do it.

Did you do an official training program? I have heard about a couple of run/walk programs that seem do-able.

I basically did a long walk once a week (or on alternating weeks when the mileage got over 12), then 2 shorter faster walks during the week, and then lots of crosstraining on the other days. I read John Bingham's "Marathoning for Mortals" and followed that pretty much to the letter 20 weeks before the big event. His plan works very well for normal everyday people that are not super atheletes....myself included.

I totally agree. If it were not for these boards, I don’t think I would have ever even TRIED. Now I totally want to do the ½ again next year. Finding someone willing to do it with me is another matter. I’m sure some of my walking buddies will be around from the boards but I have never officially “met” them.

I am now on a walking miles/min team to keep me in shape, working on losing weight and trying to convince my dd to do it again with me next year. If all works out, I will be there. Keeping my fingers crossed and ordering a few WISH items – just in case!

denise

Congratulations on your first half! You did it!

Yep! You've definitely got the time to build for that full. If you keep up your training actually you could do it this year. That said, don't let yourself think you have plenty of time and stop trainig. It is important to have a good base. Train up steady and you will do it!

I did my first half at 55 in '05 then from there it was my first full/Goofy then 2 more Goofys after. If I can do this you can too!

:cheer2:

Congratulations on your first half! You did it!

Yep! You've definitely got the time to build for that full. If you keep up your training actually you could do it this year. That said, don't let yourself think you have plenty of time and stop trainig. It is important to have a good base. Train up steady and you will do it!

I did my first half at 55 in '05 then from there it was my first full/Goofy then 2 more Goofys after. If I can do this you can too!

:cheer2:

OK - so the Goofy totally eludes me! I can't imagine running two days in a row, let alone running 39 miles!! It is weird to me that a marathon can feel "insignificant"! My hat is off to you! :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter