• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Would you rather- 4 nights DCL + 3 nights studio OR longer cruise?

Would you rather?

• 4 night Disney Cruise + 3 nights studio at WDW (GF/ Poly/ BC/ or Riviera)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 6 night Disney Cruise

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I've been debating for awhile and am curious to see what others would do. Would you choose a 4 night Disney Cruise + 3 nights studio somewhere (considering GF, Poly, BC, Riviera, or maybe Vero Beach) or a 6 night Disney Cruise? I could sell the 58 points I need to use this year to get $1044ish towards a longer cruise or use the points at WDW. We do already plan to stay at WDW a few other times in the next year (a 5 night trip at BRV in Dec and 4 nights AKL in April- we live 1 hour away from WDW) and have the lowest level FL resident weekday annual pass to do day trips. We will be traveling with a 1 and almost 3 year old.

The 4 night cruise goes to Castaway and Lighthouse Point and the 6 night goes to Castaway twice and Lighthouse Point.

We’ve taken 3-night cruises and 7-night cruises, and IMHO a longer cruise is better than a shorter one. And we don’t like split stays either. So we’d much rather a longer cruise - especially since there will be other WDW visits within the year.

I've done a WDW stay before a cruise and I liked that - we had to fly in at least one day early to be able to make it to the port on time anyway because we're on the west coast, so we decided to just fly in a few days early and have a short WDW trip. We were able to do the transfer to the cruise port from the hotel and it worked out great. That said, we did this before 7-night cruise, so it was a pretty long trip over all.

We were planning on doing a 4-night cruise out of Port Canaveral in February and I just kept feeling like it was too fast of a turnaround with the flight from the west coast, so I was back and forth between doing B2B cruises or tacking a few nights at WDW on at the end. Ultimately we decided to go with B2B cruises (we're doing a 4-night followed by a 3-night).

All this to say, I would always take a longer cruise/more time on the ship over the hassle of having to transfer somewhere after the cruise. But I would do a WDW stay before a cruise again.

With the ages of your children, I (very personal opinion) would do the WDW/DCL split. This is because I don’t know how I would manage a cruise with two small children.

Usually I would pick a longer cruise, but after three nights on the ship, I may want to just get off.

I've done a WDW stay before a cruise and I liked that - we had to fly in at least one day early to be able to make it to the port on time anyway because we're on the west coast, so we decided to just fly in a few days early and have a short WDW trip. We were able to do the transfer to the cruise port from the hotel and it worked out great. That said, we did this before 7-night cruise, so it was a pretty long trip over all.

We were planning on doing a 4-night cruise out of Port Canaveral in February and I just kept feeling like it was too fast of a turnaround with the flight from the west coast, so I was back and forth between doing B2B cruises or tacking a few nights at WDW on at the end. Ultimately we decided to go with B2B cruises (we're doing a 4-night followed by a 3-night).

All this to say, I would always take a longer cruise/more time on the ship over the hassle of having to transfer somewhere after the cruise. But I would do a WDW stay before a cruise again.

Since we live in FL, we wouldn't necessarily do the 3 nights at a DVC resort right before or after the cruise... likely as a separate weekend getaway etc :) But that makes a lot of sense if needing to fly!

With the ages of your children, I (very personal opinion) would do the WDW/DCL split. This is because I don’t know how I would manage a cruise with two small children.

Usually I would pick a longer cruise, but after three nights on the ship, I may want to just get off.

Yes, the kids are the only hesitation I have about the longer cruise lol. but I figure it would be the same as being "stuck" at a hotel that I've already paid for assuming no one has a medical emergency and needs to see a doctor etc.

Yes, the kids are the only hesitation I have about the longer cruise lol. but I figure it would be the same as being "stuck" at a hotel that I've already paid for assuming no one has a medical emergency and needs to see a doctor etc.
I am not sure about being the same as being “stuck” in a hotel. For instance, you have a scheduled dinner time. In a hotel you wouldn’t wake a child up for dinner. Now there are other options for eating, but not quite the same as main dining.

Will you have a balcony? A hotel has outside options that you don’t have on a ship.

Our grandchildren were 5,6 and 7 on their first cruise, and we started out with a 3 night cruise to see how it went. It went very well!

Only time we have been on DCL, we did a WDW stay beforehand.
Since then, we have been on a couple 7 night cruises (just not DCL).
We prefer the longer cruise because it doesn't feel as rushed.

My 2 cents,,,,longer cruise,,,beach time with little ones,,,,Food included,,bonus,,,kids club for 3 year old,,,bonus,,,level of overall service,,cruise bonus. Not paying for park passes,,,bonus,,,,,no busses,,,bonus

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter