Would Fantasmic be too scary/overwhelming for a four year old boy?

colbybug

DIS Veteran
I haven't seen it for over 15 yrs myself but I do remember it being really loud and kind of 'over the top' so to speak. Any opinions from those with small children?

Many thanks,
Kathy

My youngest saw it at age 2 1/2 last summer and it was the highlight of the trip for her. She was totally enthralled by Mickey.

My Great nephew was 3 the first time he saw it and he was somewhat scared. The next year when he was 4 he was terrified of it and hid his head and cried. At 5 he was really scared to see it ahead of time but he ended up loving it and wanting to see it again.

we took my god daughter this past may and she had just turned 4...she wasnt scared at all and she got scared on pirates of the caribbean lol

Fantasmic has only been running since 1992 (that'd be 13 1/2 almost 14 years) so you couldn't have seen it over 15 years ago. Anyway, there are some scary moments and I guess it all depends on what your child can handle.

I agree with the previous poster - it depends on your child, my 3 yr old slept through the whole thing (thank goodness - he is scared of EVERYTHING) my 4 yr old was only scared of a few parts but otherwise she thought it was wonderful!

My kids were almost 3 and 6 the first time they saw it. Both were frightened, but I think it had to do with how loud it was. We always bring earplugs when we go now. They are almost 5 and almost 8 and they love it. They've seen it 3 times live and nimerous times of home video. We can't wait to see it again on our next trip.

I really love Fantasmic, but all three of my kids (11, 8 and 3) will do anything to avoid it whenever we are at Disneyland. It is very loud and scary, but I think mostly they don't like the crowds and don't appreciate the special effects. As an aside - I think in this age of computer games and computerized effects in tv shows and movies, that it takes alot to impress kids.

It actually works out great for us, since we are able to take advantage of a less crowded Fantasyland and Tomorrowland during the evenings!

iceskatejen said:
Fantasmic has only been running since 1992 (that'd be 13 1/2 almost 14 years) so you couldn't have seen it over 15 years ago. Anyway, there are some scary moments and I guess it all depends on what your child can handle.

15 yrs was just a "guesstimate" ....looks like I was pretty close though, doesn't it? Thanks to everyone elses' opinion. I appreciate it. He loved Pirates of the Carib. so maybe he'd like Fantasmic. :thumbsup2

Kathy

At age 3 my DS was fine as long as we covered his ears. At 5 he loves it and no longer has any problems with the noise...

iceskatejen said:

Wow. I saw it before my first daughter was born which was 1993. I found out on that trip that I was pregnant so that was 1992. It was new?! I had no idea. No wonder I had to camp out so long.

My DS turned 4 on our trip in September, and he LOVED Fantasmic! We saw it our last night. He had looked forward to it the whole trip. Sorceror Mickey fighting the dragon was his favorite part.

The only thing he was scared of the whole trip was Dinosaur. We had told him all about it, and showed him pictures, thinking that he would not want to try it, but he was very insistent about riding it, and he hated it.

We saw fantasmic a couple of years ago when my youngest was one. A nice CM pointed out certain parts of it that might be particularly loud/scary for a young child and so we covered her ears at that point. You could ask a CM to give you a heads up when your there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter