Wonder what happened to people who retired/moved on to a cruise ship?

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
I remember hearing stories a while back about people who sold everything and decided to live out their days on cruise ships because all their meals and everything was prepared for them. Cheaper than a nursing home too! Did anyone hear about what happened to some of those people?
I mean can you imagine “pack your stuff Mary! We are kicking you off the boat!” Who knows if it’s even the country they came from? Have to chase down their mail.

I was wondering about these people too the other day. Kind of surprising we havent at least seen one human interest story on this group. Guess it wouldnt be good enough clickbait.

I think there was a person living on the Celebrity Summit in a suite down the hall from our room in April 2018. I don't know what happened there.

Other than the cruise ship The World (where you actually buy a stateroom/apartment on board to live full time) I think there's not really many people living on board cruise ships, especially now since none have passengers. I do wonder if the lines will start a new policy where guests can only do so many cruises in a row or for any lengthy duration to reduce the exposure to those that might be vulnerable to such things as Covid-19.

Edit: The World is currently passenger free as well during the outbreak. Not sure when they'll be taking their owners back on board again.

Mario Salcedo, aka Super Mario, usually lives full-time on RCCL ships. You can look up an interview series he did on YouTube last year with Alanna Zingano. He also owns a couple of places in Florida so he’s spending lockdown there.

Mario Salcedo, aka Super Mario, usually lives full-time on RCCL ships. You can look up an interview series he did on YouTube last year with Alanna Zingano. He also owns a couple of places in Florida so he’s spending lockdown there.

how did you find out he’s in Florida? The last I knew he was overseas living with friends. either way this has got to be very hard on him.
His time probably ran out overseas you just can’t live there a long time.

Other than the cruise ship The World (where you actually buy a stateroom/apartment on board to live full time).....
Amazing! I had no idea. You guys have the best information.
Mario Salcedo, aka Super Mario, usually lives full-time on RCCL ....
I know there was a lady doing it for a while which is why I even thought of it. Thank you.
They’re living on land now.
Well yeah, but many of the ships moved from port to port, except for maybe the Dream. I was kind of wondering if they were left in the country that they needed to fly home. Alternatively, what if they gave up their home like some people do when they buy an RV. I find the thought of that kind of lifestyle interesting, but I need my family near me.

how did you find out he’s in Florida? The last I knew he was overseas living with friends. either way this has got to be very hard on him.
His time probably ran out overseas you just can’t live there a long time.
Wondering the same thing as OP, I did a search about him a few weeks ago and found a blog post saying he was spending time in one of his two Florida properties. Since Alanna Zingano interviewed him, she might have more accurate info. Or maybe he was able to fly back home ?

Wife and I are retired and I checked on spending the rest of our healthy lives on this ship. Two years ago we moved into a smaller house in a 55+ community. Downsizing was horrible!! How we could downside to just a few suitcases and a box or two on that ship makes it out of the question for us...too much memorable stuff we can't sell or throw out. Now, if they built the ship with townhouse staterooms, we might be interested. Also, there is no mouse on board the retirement ship, unless DCL builds one. Interesting concept!!

I wonder if the "permanent" cruisers have to do the lifeboat drill every time they ship departs... :-) Might make me reconsider!

I wonder if the "permanent" cruisers have to do the lifeboat drill every time they ship departs... :-) Might make me reconsider!
Yes they do. They technically get off the ship at the end of each sailing, in order for the cruise line to declare the ship as ‘all cleared’ and therefore get on the ship as a new guest each time. The rule concerning the muster drill does not create any exception for guests that do multiple B2B sailings, only for the crew members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!