Wonder Mini Review 2/13 Sailing

justcrusin

Earning My Ears
About us…both my wife and I have hospitality / culinary management backgrounds and have worked for several different major hotel chains. This was our first Disney Cruise, but we have been on 6 Carnival, 4 Royal Caribbean and 1 Princess. This is only our second cruise with the kids, both girls 3 and 6. Food and good customer service are most important to us. We favor Carnival lately because we find the food has been better and more consistent then Royal Caribbean. Princess was a flop in all areas.

We flew in from Baltimore on Saturday afternoon to avoid any weather issues. We used Execucar for transportation from the airport and from the port back to the airport. They were excellent and we will use them again. We stayed at the Westin in Long Beach Saturday night and the accommodations were perfect for what we needed.

Customer Service
We found everyone on the ship to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Servers were excellent with the kids, even making a make shift bed for them at Animators when the both fell asleep on show night. One exception was a host at Beach Blanket Buffet who didn’t seem to know that there was a kids line and an adult line.

Entertainment
This is Disney and they get entertainment. The shows were excellent and kept the kids attention for almost every second we were in attendance (possibly the adults too for that matter). Do not miss the “Tea With Friends”, the girls couldn’t get enough of it and were even seated at a table for 2.

Characters
Great interaction with the characters! If you are looking for the kids to have the opportunity to meet the characters do not go to the park, go on a cruise. There were several meet and greets with the characters everyday. Princess time was limited to a few sessions. We had several unexpected character interactions. Mickey popped up on the pool deck as we were pulling into PV. Minnie came out on deck 4 and high fived my wife while she was running. Goofy showed up at quiet cove pool one day and put a hilarious improv show that had everyone laughing.

The Ship
We had an outside cabin with a large porthole on deck 2. I found the cabin to be ample space for the 4 of us with plenty of storage. The cabin is layed out well and the split bathroom is a huge help. The cabin is starting to show its age a bit. Chipped tiles in the bathroom, stained tub and a faucet handle and drain in the shower that barely worked (this didn't affect our trip at all). The public areas of the ship are very well maintained and with the exception of Goofy’s pool they are in great condition. Goofy’s pool could use a good sanding and repainting. Incidentally I know Goofy’s pool was designed to have a stage over it, but it is a difficult pool if you need to watch your kids in the water. Goofy’s pool and Mickey’s pool were closed several times during the week for “accidents” 3 hours at a time. Parents need to do a better job of policing when their kids need to go to the bathroom.

The Wonder has the best layout of any ship we have ever been on..period. It is super easy to navigate and Disney does a great job with directional signs. Honestly the more we cruise the more we like this ship size (70,000 to 85,000 GRT)

Kids Club
This is Disney and they get kids, or the kids get them. The kids couldn’t say enough good things about the time the spent in the club. On average they choose to be there 4 or 5 hours in a day, usually broken into 2 segments.

Food
Wow! We were impressed. There wasn’t much that we didn’t like. Loved the bread baskets and specialty spreads every night. Among the highlights was Tritons dinner. Best escargot ever. All of the pastas and chicken dishes we had were excellent. Fishes and beef were also very good. Least favorite menu was the Island menu in Parrot Cay. Honestly, we never really care for any “island night” menu that they have on any ship. Pluto’s and Goofy’s had excellent fast fare. Palo for brunch and dinner was excellent. Room service was fast and good. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent, as were the added touch of Krispy Kremes on the BBB breakfast buffet Pizza was just O.K., but far behind RC and Carnival. Only area we saw for improvement was the salads both in the dining room and in Beach Blanket. Not that the one’s we had were not good, but the selection was super limited.

Retail
Good selection for men and kids. My wife wishes they had more t-shirts that were designed specifically for woman. We found the prices consistent with what you would pay at one of the parks.

Embarkation/Debarkation
Among the most organized of any cruise we have been on. Love that Disney does not rush you out of the staterooms like Carnival and RC do.

Overall Impression
We are hooked. We booked our next cruise on board. Now if we could just find a way to cut the price in half that would be excellent. This cruise was a bargain since kids sailed free for us. Can’t wait to sail the Dream in 2012.

Justin

:thumbsup2 Great review. Thank you for including what you liked and didn't like. We've only sailed on the Wonder, but my family also really liked the size and layout of the ship. :)

Thanks for the great mini-review! :)

Just curious if you or any of your family members had any motion sickness on the trip? If yes, what did you do to resolve it?

Thank you! :)

thanks for TR ,justcruis...what rooms were you in on deck 2? we are in 2074,2076 on mar 6 cruise... is it noisy ? Its most convenient I guess for a lot of activities..

Thanks for the great mini-review! :)

Just curious if you or any of your family members had any motion sickness on the trip? If yes, what did you do to resolve it?

Thank you! :)

My wife had a little motion sickness (this is the first time ever), but we were at the very front of this ship (cabin 2008). The sea was like glass the first 4 days, but we had medium seas the last three. Dramamine seems to do it for both of us, she popped a few and was good to go in an hour.

thanks for TR ,justcruis...what rooms were you in on deck 2? we are in 2074,2076 on mar 6 cruise... is it noisy ? Its most convenient I guess for a lot of activities..

We were in 2008. Not a peep, except for the waves hitting the front of the ship. The azipods are in the front of the ship so when we were docking or leaving the cabin shook a little and it was loud. Sounds like you are aft / midship so you shouldn't have that issue.

About us…both my wife and I have hospitality / culinary management backgrounds and have worked for several different major hotel chains. This was our first Disney Cruise, but we have been on 6 Carnival, 4 Royal Caribbean and 1 Princess. This is only our second cruise with the kids, both girls 3 and 6. Food and good customer service are most important to us. We favor Carnival lately because we find the food has been better and more consistent then Royal Caribbean. Princess was a flop in all areas.

We flew in from Baltimore on Saturday afternoon to avoid any weather issues. We used Execucar for transportation from the airport and from the port back to the airport. They were excellent and we will use them again. We stayed at the Westin in Long Beach Saturday night and the accommodations were perfect for what we needed.

Customer Service
We found everyone on the ship to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Servers were excellent with the kids, even making a make shift bed for them at Animators when the both fell asleep on show night. One exception was a host at Beach Blanket Buffet who didn’t seem to know that there was a kids line and an adult line.

Entertainment
This is Disney and they get entertainment. The shows were excellent and kept the kids attention for almost every second we were in attendance (possibly the adults too for that matter). Do not miss the “Tea With Friends”, the girls couldn’t get enough of it and were even seated at a table for 2.

Characters
Great interaction with the characters! If you are looking for the kids to have the opportunity to meet the characters do not go to the park, go on a cruise. There were several meet and greets with the characters everyday. Princess time was limited to a few sessions. We had several unexpected character interactions. Mickey popped up on the pool deck as we were pulling into PV. Minnie came out on deck 4 and high fived my wife while she was running. Goofy showed up at quiet cove pool one day and put a hilarious improv show that had everyone laughing.

The Ship
We had an outside cabin with a large porthole on deck 2. I found the cabin to be ample space for the 4 of us with plenty of storage. The cabin is layed out well and the split bathroom is a huge help. The cabin is starting to show its age a bit. Chipped tiles in the bathroom, stained tub and a faucet handle and drain in the shower that barely worked (this didn't affect our trip at all). The public areas of the ship are very well maintained and with the exception of Goofy’s pool they are in great condition. Goofy’s pool could use a good sanding and repainting. Incidentally I know Goofy’s pool was designed to have a stage over it, but it is a difficult pool if you need to watch your kids in the water. Goofy’s pool and Mickey’s pool were closed several times during the week for “accidents” 3 hours at a time. Parents need to do a better job of policing when their kids need to go to the bathroom.

The Wonder has the best layout of any ship we have ever been on..period. It is super easy to navigate and Disney does a great job with directional signs. Honestly the more we cruise the more we like this ship size (70,000 to 85,000 GRT)

Kids Club
This is Disney and they get kids, or the kids get them. The kids couldn’t say enough good things about the time the spent in the club. On average they choose to be there 4 or 5 hours in a day, usually broken into 2 segments.

Food
Wow! We were impressed. There wasn’t much that we didn’t like. Loved the bread baskets and specialty spreads every night. Among the highlights was Tritons dinner. Best escargot ever. All of the pastas and chicken dishes we had were excellent. Fishes and beef were also very good. Least favorite menu was the Island menu in Parrot Cay. Honestly, we never really care for any “island night” menu that they have on any ship. Pluto’s and Goofy’s had excellent fast fare. Palo for brunch and dinner was excellent. Room service was fast and good. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent, as were the added touch of Krispy Kremes on the BBB breakfast buffet Pizza was just O.K., but far behind RC and Carnival. Only area we saw for improvement was the salads both in the dining room and in Beach Blanket. Not that the one’s we had were not good, but the selection was super limited.

Retail
Good selection for men and kids. My wife wishes they had more t-shirts that were designed specifically for woman. We found the prices consistent with what you would pay at one of the parks.

Embarkation/Debarkation
Among the most organized of any cruise we have been on. Love that Disney does not rush you out of the staterooms like Carnival and RC do.

Overall Impression
We are hooked. We booked our next cruise on board. Now if we could just find a way to cut the price in half that would be excellent. This cruise was a bargain since kids sailed free for us. Can’t wait to sail the Dream in 2012.

Justin

We were on the same cruise and I totally agree with you on everything me and my family had the best time. I did see our Head Host Deniz bring out some extra table cloth and make a makshift bed at one of the dinning rooms it was very nice of him to do that. I ended up very sick at the Captians dinner and our servers contacted the medical department for me and countinued to check on me the next day as we ran into them at the buffet. All I know is the staff work very hard and do a great job! :worship: I would like to thank, Andres & Purta for being our servers and Gede was the best room host. Other than getting home a bit later than plan due to our late arrival at San Pedro I enjoyed very minuite of the cruise (execpt being sick).:banana::banana:

Just one more shout our for exceptional service:cheer2::cheer2:

After everything I read I was a little nervous I may notice a difference...Not at all. Everyone was excellent and Disney friendly. We had a fabulous dining team and discovered our assistant server had only been on board or 6 weeks. He and the head server were an excellent team and we loved our time with them.

Our stateroom hostess was great...no one let us down :)

We were on the same cruise and I agree with most everything you said. We had a great time :)

We were also on this cruise and it was our first cruise - Disney or otherwise - I am also hooked. Things were fantastic!

The only complaint I have is the short days in Cabo San Lucas - but that is out of Disney's control for the most part I believe. The tendering process worked quickly and smoothly both days in Cabo.

Kudo's to all of the Wonder staff, they were great!!!
:banana::love::love::banana::love::love::banana::love::love::banana:

Thanks for posting your TR. We are on the 10 day MR in April.

Just curious who you had for dining room servers and what you enjoyed about them? We would like to request a serving team, but we have not been on the Wonder before.

Thanks for your thoughts!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter