Wishes...from Poly or Contemporary?

K

Kate-n-sam

Just can't decide which one to view Wishes from. Any thoughts? We will be eating dinner at one of them if that helps.

From the Poly, we'd view from the beach....where to view from CR? There seems to be differing reports about the observation deck, and it's availability to non guests. Is there more than one observation deck?

Thanks!

From CR you can either get PS around the time it starts at California Grille (15th floor and have to be eating there to view it from there) or there is an observation deck on the 4th floor. There is no one there to see if youre a guest or not-the shops are right there. You just walk outside and see it. You dont get to see the low-on ground stuff, but the music is piped in so you can hear it (probably wouldnt be able to at Poly beach). The best part is no mass of people to deal with afterwards!

alison::MickeyMo

We had a great view the only problem is that the show was either too new or the soundtrack was not working. They dim the lights and everything stops during the show.

We watched it on the beach of Poly (right in front of pool) one night and could vene hear the audio. It was absolutely beautiful :sunny:

Where is the observation deck located on the 4th deck of the CR? We have never stayed there, but go to Chef Mickey's every visit to Orlando.

:wave: Carol36

There is an observation deck right outside the California Grille. Very windy out there, but we were able to take some good pictures. We also had PS ressis and I requested a window seat. This is my favorite way to watch the fireworks.

at the poly there is a grass knoll (hill) where you can view the firework from. does anyone remember if there are speakers there to hear the music??

The observation deck at CR on the 4th floor is at the opposite end of the building from Chef Mickeys (towards MK). Go past the shops and on either side there are door to go out there. They were open when I was there in Feb. I never knew about it either until I saw someone go out there and others standing out there watching.

alison::MickeyMo

I was thinking that we might like to watch Wishes from the Poly too. My DS4 is sensitive to the noise. He didn't like Illuminations at all last year because of the noise. But he's already asking if we can go to fireworks this year. I was thinking it might not be as intense. But is the show really as good watching it from there? If it were just me I would be as close as possible. I just love the noise!! Oh, and also do you think we will able to park at the Poly? (we are staying off-site) If we have to, I guess we could park at the TTC and take the monorail, but I would like to avoid that park closing rush.

We were there earlier this month, and had a PS for 7:20 (Wishes at 8) at the California Grill. I asked for a window seat, and had no trouble getting one. The meal was to die for, and our server was awesome! Just as we were ordering our deserts, the lights dimmed, and the music started. It was the most magical part of our trip. The only problem was that the music wasn't quite loud enough and the people in the kitchen were extremely loud. Next time I would definitely go out on the patio to see them (it was way too cold that night).

Thank you...I thought this was a lost thread, and was just checking and there it was!

Thanks Allison, that's the plan, crowd avoidance!

Also we will have 5 day hoppers for a 7 day trip, so we would like to view the show on a day we are resort hopping.

My son also is not a fan of loud noises, so we are looking for an alternate view. Actually when he was 18 mos. he freaked at the poly, all the way across the lake!

We once tried to view from the Cali Grill, but there was a conference or something going on at the CR, when the elevator doors opened we couldn't even push the stroller off. The bar was packed with business people in suits and they didn't look as if they were going anywhere soon. Not a very family friendly environment. Totally not knocking the grill, just wanted to share our experience, it looked like a lovely place to eat and see the show, we just hit it at a bad time apparently. Even with a PS we were told an hour plus wait, that doesn't seem to be the norm, but I am afraid to go that route again!

Thanks for all the replies!

We had dinner at CG this past Sunday. The whole night was wonderful! Our PS was for 7:30. We arrived at 7:25 (didn't want to be seated too early as we wanted to be there for Wishes). My son is a chef wannabe - so we requested a table near the kitchen when we arrived. "Sorry - I don't have anything available near the kitchen - would you be ok with a window?" So we said yes - we'd take the window. Well - surprise, surprise! Our table was at the window at the far end of the restaurant looking straight at the MK. We had an amazing view of the whole MK throughout dinner.
Food was great. Flatbread to start - yum. Both kids had the beef filet - even my picky daughter ate every bite! (11 year old son cleaned his plate too). My husband had the pork tenderloin and said it was delicious. I had the shortrib - because it sounded so good - shallots and really wonderful things with it - and it was completely up to my expectations.
Dessert was spectacular. We had the molten chocolate cake and the butterscotch creme brulee. Both were to die for. Wishes started just before we finished dessert. The best fireworks we've ever seen. And what a spot to watch from. The music and words were piped in and the lights dimmed for the show.
It was an expensive night out - but worth every penny for the great food, and great view.
Our server was Jenny and she was great too - lots of energy and very willing to explain menu items and help us decide what to order.
There were other families there - most had older kids - but some younger. We dressed up sightly from our "park wear". My husband wore Khaki pants and a polo shirt. Son wore cargo shorts, a tshirt, and a collared island-print shirt. Daughter and I wore capris and nice t's. Few people were dressed up more (girls and women in skirts) most dressed about like we were. Didn't really see anyone in what looked like park-going clothes.

I was at Narcoosies at the Grand Floridian and watched wishes from there. The music was piped in and there was also a railing outside all around. It was our first night there. I got the idea from a very helpful CM before I left home. I made a PS for around 8 pm and got a window seat. It was wonderful - the view was great!
Whatever you choose, have a magical time!:p

We saw Wishes 3 x in Jan and just wanted to add my 2 cents! First time was from top of train station - awesome view! 2nd time was from the rose garden, much closer to castle and fireworks, easier to see some of the special effects on the castle, but the fireworks were "off center" - from that vantage point they were all to the right of the castle. On our final night we were lucky enough to get a window seat at the Poly - we were glad we had gotten to see them closer before this, but we loved this vantage point! My daughter even commented, "It's like they were made to be seen from here!" Although beautiful from anywhere, this show is designed to be centered behind the castle for it's 'full' and 'best' (IMHO) effect. If we were there in warmer weather I would pick the beach at the Poly next trip (and from Main St looking at the castle if I could squeeze in 2 viewings!) Enjoy!! :smooth:

PS: if viewing from outdoors in the warm weather, please protect yourself and your loved ones from the mosquitoes (West Nile Virus)!!::yes::

YOU CAN SWITCH HOTELS IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR STAY. WE DID IT. WDW MAKES IT NO HASSLE!::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter