Why I am not getting a Magic Key

DLRExpert

and WDWExpert?
I have been an Annual Passholder for 30+ years, not counting the four years I worked as a Cast Member in the 90s.
Been to the Disneyland Resort Parks four times since they reopened from lockdown. With yesterday evening (8/20) being my last visit.
I decided to go yesterday due to the decrease in crowds, wait times, and my hesitancy on getting a Magic Key on the 25th.
So I compiled a list of reasons why I will not get a Magic Key during this initial launch. Some of this list are bigger reasons than others.

- Reservation System. Not knowing how the Reservation system will work once Magic Key guests are allowed to reserve dates. Will the % of MK guests allowed in per day be lower based on the day you want to reserve? For example, if I get the highest tier MK pass, which is most days, and I want to reserve for a Saturday, who is to say Disney wouldn't want more single day guests and limit the MK reservations to 10% of guest capacity, making those days particularly hard to still get for MK holders.

- Genie App. When the app was announced, it made my decision much easier to wait. I LOVED MaxPass, but this feels terrible to me that MK holders cannot even add it on for the year, but then it isn't even for the headline attractions, as I will need to pay an extra fee.

- Virtual Queues and Boarding Groups. Most of my visits would be for park opening, but there are days I would go after work in the evening. With the way the VQ system works, I would not be able to get a Boarding Group for Rise or Web Slingers because I wouldn't be in the park before 12pm.

- No Trams. The walk you have to take from the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure to and from the parks is a horrible experience (especially when you are heading home) and not something I want to do for every visit. Yes, there is Toy Story Parking, but M&F parking is easier for me on arrival, and getting to the park for opening from TS is not as smooth as M&F.

- Experiences. The attractions are in horrible shape, and nothing seems to be done to fix them (except the dark voice tunnel in Pirates finally worked yesterday). For example, the Indiana Jones snake and boulder scene, the Matterhorn yeti frozen more times than moving, the Pirates Chase turntable in the dark and not moving, the drunken Pirate, dark scenes in Splash Mountain, and more.

- Safety Guidelines. I understand Disney and the Cast Members are simply following the rules they are given to remain open. However, I am for free choice when it comes to personal safety. Having to take a mask on and off throughout the day, being allowed and not allowed on certain attractions is something I simply don't want to deal with and is probably not the cleanest or safest thing to do. Two of the four times I visited the parks was when they allowed free choice. Those two days were also my most enjoyable.

- Is it a Must? What going through lockdown has taught me is what is most important in my life. I am not sure that being able to go to Disneyland Resort parks on a whim (not taking into account reservation availability) is a necessity for me anymore. Going a couple of times a year may be all that I need.

Thanks for reading. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Last edited:
I haven't been an AP for a few years now because it was just too much for a family of 5. I was honestly in a place financially where I was ready to give it another try this year. But, I'm not sure I will be. We typically go on several day trips a year even without APs. If it could be the way it was in June where waits were short and crowds were low, I'd have no hesitation. But, between increased crowds, the unknowns of the genie app, and the way it just feels like Disney is nickel and dime-ing everyone these days, I'm holding off. I'll never say never because depending on how the genie app and the reservation availability for APs (keys?) goes, I may reconsider, but right now I just feel like Disney isn't the most bang for my buck. I have a DL trip next month and a WDW trip in December. I guess after that we'll decide what to do, after we experience the new normal. But, during the lockdown, I really got a greater appreciation for nature, being outdoors, and exploring new places and I'd like to spend some time/money on traveling to other states, so right now, I'm leaning toward just taking 1 3-4 day trip a year or maybe even less. There's so much more out there even if I will always love Disney.

I feel the same about the reservation system.
Never used Maxpass and rarely used fast pass so we don't care either way. We just enjoy people watching, shopping, dining, etc.
I have just given up on RotR and Webslingers. Haha.
As for the tram route, it sucks walking down the tram route, so we have done the bridge via Pixar Pal and thru the parking into DTD.
As for the safety guidelines, I and my family (including my 8 y.o.) have no problem wearing mask all day. I wish the CMs would enforce it more.
We are not getting the Magic Keys because we would rather have more "Magic", like parades, more live entertainment, etc.

I admit I'm still going to get a Magic Key, mostly because I live nearby and enjoy walking around the parks.

However I totally agree with your points. I'm very curious how the reservation system will work out.... Disneyland is a huge locals park vs WDW, and technically they can block out any day they want even if we purchase the highest tier since it's 100% reservation based.

I can only imagine the complaints if too many days are N/A (or no large allocation) of reservations to Keyholder's.

Thanks for reading. Is anyone else feeling the same way?
I agree with a lot of your points, but I am going to get the top Key. The walk to Mickey and Friends can feel brutal, but I'll be staying at the hotels several times in the next few months. So, I won't have that issue. I also have a very long list of merchandise that I want to buy and the 20% off is going to take the edge off of those.

The free version of Genie sounds really good to me. However, I am not a look at my phone when I am experiencing life person. I'd much rather walk around and absorb my surroundings. I think I will use the Genie to decide what to do next when I am unsure what I want to do or when I am sure that I don't want to wait in lines. I presume I'll use the Genie + once in a while, but I only used MaxPass once since I've already been on all the rides a gajillion times.

After my first year with the Key, I may opt to only go to after hours events. It is something that I thought about in the past and they were adding a lot more of them. Heck, if the world didn't close in 2020, I could have visited after hours as often as I go during the day with my AP. I did recently buy a small DVC contract, with the intent to go to WDW every couple years. Doing that may help me lose interest in a DL Key, too.

I agree with a lot of your points. We are still buying 4 dream keys. Disneyland is literally one of the only places we can go as a family and spend a day together having fun. That's priceless to us.

I hate that walk too, but it is much more enjoyable when you go through Downtown Disney via the bridge from the structure. I'm never walking that tram route again. It's a death march.

We also won't be buying Genie+ on a per day basis. We will see how it works and then MAYBE buy it if they offer it as an annual fee add on. The last several visits have shown us that we don't NEED fastpass access. We have a DAS and combining that with lower wait times and just skipping rides where the wait is too long and doing them next time works. In fact, having the ability to visit often again with the passes will make our visits less stressful and we can lose that feeling that we need to get our money's worth every time. We are in a position to literally go every week if we want to. I'm looking forward to that.

I typically go once a week while my kids are in school, by myself. This is my "me time." My kids have special needs and having been, essentially, caring for them 24/7 since the lockdowns last year without a break has been rough. I'm ready to have my me time in the parks weekly again, I don't care how much it costs.

I typically go once a week while my kids are in school, by myself. This is my "me time." My kids have special needs and having been, essentially, caring for them 24/7 since the lockdowns last year without a break has been rough. I'm ready to have my me time in the parks weekly again, I don't care how much it costs.

This! I just dropped off my second to college and looking forward to travelling to Disneyland by myself a couple of times a year to do the rides I want and eat at places I like. I plan to get MK, just not sure which tier yet. I own a small amount of points at VGC and in the past, they were never enough for my family of four when we could only go on school holidays. Now, the points are just right for me to stay a night or two here and there during non-peak times. And I could time it with Southwest fare sales!

This! I just dropped off my second to college and looking forward to travelling to Disneyland by myself a couple of times a year to do the rides I want and eat at places I like. I plan to get MK, just not sure which tier yet. I own a small amount of points at VGC and in the past, they were never enough for my family of four when we could only go on school holidays. Now, the points are just right for me to stay a night or two here and there during non-peak times. And I could time it with Southwest fare sales!
This is my plan, too! All 3 of my youngest are away at college this year. DH doesn't like DLR so I'm going to do exactly what you said (except I don't have VGC pts)!

While I understand your points I live out of state (across country) now. Trip one 8 park days will be had, trip two will be about the same and same for trip 3 if I can make that happen. Believe Keys save me money still. Quite a lot actually. 1/2 price parking too. I wish it was free parking, but the upcharge on just one to Dream doesn't make this a good choice since I don't live there.
Am I in the camp that Disneyland should have trams up and running at any cost now? YES. We pay a lot to park. My hope is reservations go away soon for everyone. At the very least Magic Key Holders should be able to cancel day of so it frees spaces up for other MK holders. CMs and ticket holders can... heck even WDW APs can. So why not us too???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter