Why are ECV's so expensive? + other stuff

commecicommeca

Earning My Ears
I have CP and I haven't been to Disney in 6+ years, but I am going again this May. We're staying off property through Priceline to save money and I can't bring my scooter (ECV) that I use for school because our hotel's shuttle can't accomodate it and it's a big hassle to get it to the airport here in NYC. I will probably be bringing my manual though. My mother, who is going with me, has back problems so it's hard for her to push a wheelchair.

Are there any places to rent ECV's where it might be cheaper? Why do they charge so much at WDW? I would think that for the amount you are paying to get in and the elimination of the front of the line policy it would be complimentary like it is in supermarkets. Also, if they are so concerned about people taking advantage of the system and rentals why don't they just require medical documentation and sell special tickets like they do at concerts?

There are several medical rental suppliers in the area but you still have the problem of getting it from your hotel to the theme parks.
You can try Care Medical equipment or Walker.
CAre's site is Care Medical Equipment
I don't know the one for Walker as I always have used Care with great results. MY Jazzy now goes everywhere with me.

Pooh

Hi,

I tried to post earlier, but it never showed up. We just got back on Tuesday from a trip to WDW. We rented an ECV from Randy's Mobility. It cost us $150.00 for the week. When we arrived at the hotel, we called the local number, and they delivered the ECV in about 40 minutes. They picked it up the late afternoon of the day before we left.

Without the ECV, my mom would never have been able to see much of WDW. With it, she was able to do just about everything that she wanted to do. And the ECV was comfortable, easy to maneuver and never ran out of power

figaro03.gif

It would be expensive to rent an ECV from the parks every day. The transporting from the hotel is the problem. I believe that you can get a receipt at the first park you rent from so if you go to a second park that day you don't have to pay to get another ECV. So if you planned your days carefully you could get a lot out of a single rental. I think you can even go back to your hotel, rest and then return. Of course there is always the problem that there won't be an ECVs available later in the day. I think I read about Mears having a w/c accessible shuttle. It also is available for hire to get to the parks. You may want to check that out so you could rent from an offsite vendor like Walker and have wheels for the entire trip.
Let us know how it works out.
As for it costing so much. Disney is a profit making enterprise. As for many things I want to do it costs me a little more in time, money and effort because I am disabled. I just figure it all in the cost of living my life to the fullest. I am glad that the do make WDW so accessible.
Pixie dust coming your way.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Nanajo,
While on paper this looks perfect, the reality of the situation is the second park will probably not have any ECVs available when you get there later. There is no guarantee that you can get one at the second park.

Pooh

If the shuttle won't accomidate a scooter, I'm afraid you are stuck renting one at the parks (which is more expensive than renting one by the week from one of the companies). Your biggest problem may be whether or not one will be available for you when you get there. I'm not clear on your plans; are you going to bring your manual wheelchair to the park each day? If so, how is the shuttle bus going to accomidate that? It is quite a way from the place where the off-site hotel busses leave you off and the gate of the park. You may be better off (even though it is more expensive) to be on site because you would be able to use WDW transportation and rent an ecv from one of the local companies instead of getting one from the park.
I also think I remember someone writing about how his hotel shuttle didn't transport wheelchairs and he got them to provide transportation thru Mears wheelchair bus. You might want to check that out. Even if you have to pay the cost of Mears, it may be cheaper to rent an ecv outside the parks and do that than pay for one in the parks each day.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I have been thinking about this problem all night
If the hotel offers shuttles to the parks, free or otherwise, then I believe by law they have to make accommodations for disabled people to get the same service. I don't know who would have the legal info. Maybe check with the Chamber of Commerce or the Tourist dept. I hope we can find a solution.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Let me clarify the situation. I have an ECV at home that I can get to the airport in NY one way or another but again it’s a bit of a hassle for everyone involved. I got a good deal on our hotel, money is a big issue, going to one of the All-Stars is about $35 more per night than what we’re paying now and we’re staying at IOO a nicer place, plus we booked through Priceline (unrefundable) so staying on-site or anywhere else for that matter is not an option. The hotel is served by Mears airport shuttle, which can accommodate both wheelchairs and ECVs, there’s a $13 charge each way for this service, we plan to use it unless we take the manual and can get a cheap rental car. They use a different shuttle service to take guests to Disney World, it’s free of charge, but I called there and they can accommodate manual wheelchairs but are not designed for ECVs. I wasn’t aware that Mears did wheelchair buses to Disney as well. If I brought my own ECV maybe that would be a cheaper way of getting around than renting one in the parks.

Does anyone know how much a Mears bus would cost going from the Sheraton World by Sea World to Disney? Is it the same charge as the airport service? Are there any public city of Orlando buses that go around the city? We’re there for 7 days and we’d like to see some stuff other than Disney as well. And finally what’s the best way to get to Cirque? Can I use the shuttle to get to the Disney gate and then take a Disney bus to downtown Disney?

Sorry for the confusion, I’m confused myself LOL, this board is a great resource btw, read lots of useful things here the past few days

I can answer the how to get to Cirque question. You can get a WDW bus from any of the parks to Downtown Disney. There are several bus stops at DD. The one for Cirque is the last one; tell the driver when you get on that Cirque du Soliel is where you want to get and you should end up in the right spot. ¨

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter