Who's had their luggage trashed?

LeanneC

Earning My Ears
Okay, so I finally broke down and bought a whole new set of luggage for my April trip. All of my coworkers have now decided that it is not wise for me to even think about flying with new luggage. They all have these horror stories about their luggage getting completely trashed. Does this happen a lot? I have flown a few times and not had a problem. But I would hate for my precious new Mickey luggage to suffer the wrath of a disgruntled baggage handler. We are flying non-stop without any transfers ... so hoping that will limit the jostling a little. Anyone have any input? Thanks!

When packing for our trip to WDW (Jan. 30-Feb. 6, 2003), I decided that I didn't have enough luggage. We had to pack more since the weather is unpredictable, that time of year. I asked my Mom if I could borrow some of hers (I had just bought her a new set last Christmas.) She told me that it got ripped, on the airplane, when she went to WDW, last June. So she found a nice set on QVC and ordered it, she said that we both needed luggage so we could share this set. The luggage arrived 3 days before our trip and I packed and we left on Jan. 30. When I arrived in WDW, DH noticed that there was a huge hole in the med. sized suitcase. I thought my Mom was going to be mad, but when we got back, I showed it to her. She said not to worry because QVC stands behind their merchandise, so she will send it back. She just mailed it 2 days ago, when they receive it, they will send her a new set.

So to answer your question, it too bad, but luggage does get ruined when flying. It's a shame you spend so much money on a nice set and you're afraid to use it because the airlines will ruin it. I know you spent a lot on you're Mickey Mouse set, I wouldn't use it. Chances are, something will happen to it.

We flew non-stop, as well. I just think with all the security that more people have their hands on it and it has to go through X-ray machines and thery're just tossed onto the planes. Good luck with you new luggage!

Luggage is for traveling, and with that comes the risks. If you bought the Mickey luggage to use and not for it to sit in a closet, than use it..... that's what luggage is for, right? I'm SURE Disney would replace it if it were damaged, if not the airline should. Don't deprive yourself of your Mickey luggage!

Holly

I saw a documentary on Discovery Channel about what happens to baggage once it's turned over at the air lines to the handlers. It's put on a big conveyor belt that scans the ticket barcode, reads the destination, and a type of gate shoves(hits) it out of the line into, hopefully, the pile for your destination.

What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't have to be the baggage handlers, so to speak. I'm sure the belts do their share of damage.

The last time we flew to Orlando, my zipper was borken on my big bag.

Thanks guys for your replies. I guess I'm just going to take my chances and hope for the best. Holly, you're right, I didn't buy it to sit in my closet; and why have it if I'm not going to use it. Can't wait to start packing ... only 69 days to go ... LOL. Thanks again for all your responses - I appreciate it!

GOod Luck with the luggage, I'm sure it will be fine!\

Holly

I had that happen to me once when I traveled to San Diego. When I got off the plane and picked up my luggage, there was a nice big dent on the side of the suitcase ... It was still usable but the frame was pretty warped. Are you just taking carry-on? If so, you won't have to worry as much since you'll be handling the suitcase yourself most of the time.

The airline will make it good. We had soemthing happen to a brand new ( and expensive) stroller carrier bag. It had been ripped on a corner. We took it immediately to the luggage office and filed a report. Luckily I had my reciept still in my wallet and the luggage agent gave us a check right then for about 30% of the value. This was on airTran.
So, my advice would be to bring along your reciept for proof that it is new and the cost.

If your luggage is ripped or torn in most cases the airlines will repair it. (Airtran's method does not appear normal!) Report it IMMEDIATELY! However, if it gets a little scuffed or dirty you are out of luck.

Also, handels and wheels are not covered. That said I have checked my rolling Mickey suitcase with the non locking handle, three times with no problems. My rollerboard has been checked so many times I can't count and it has never been damaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter