Who still brings a “camera” into the parks?

I always bring my DSLR on every vacation...except last year when I went to California for a few day just me and my teenagers, i decided just to use my phone. BIGGEST REGRET EVER. Any photos that i even zoomed in on just a touch were completely pixelated. the quality was awful and this was a new phone at the time that raves about how amazing the pictures are. I am still so bummed about it. I will never NOT take my DSLR again.

I still take my DSLR, but only take one lens into the parks. My Cannon 40D will take better pictures than both my Iphone XR and my husband's Samsung. A positive though is that we always get Memory Maker so I always have those photos too. I love the instant gratification of the Iphone, but the pictures are SO pixelated in comparison to my DSLR.

We just got back from Hawaii and I took my DSLR out on day 5 and really regret waiting that long to use it...

It think it depends on what type of photos you're happy with and how you will use them. Is it easier for you to have instant access to them right there on your phone? Or do you have no problem taking the time to download the photos from your camera to your computer?

For me I've done both, sometimes the phone if I want to go without any weight and other times I'll bring the dslr for when I want something special. Although, I have to say with some of the new phones today the difference in quality is quickly decreasing.

It think it depends on what type of photos you're happy with and how you will use them. Is it easier for you to have instant access to them right there on your phone? Or do you have no problem taking the time to download the photos from your camera to your computer?

For me I've done both, sometimes the phone if I want to go without any weight and other times I'll bring the dslr for when I want something special. Although, I have to say with some of the new phones today the difference in quality is quickly decreasing.
The difference in quality has reached the point where the physics matters - until you get a bigger sensor, you won't get a better result, and nobody wants a big camera module at the moment. :)

Also, I can take a photo on my DSLR and have it on my phone in seconds, you just have to have one of the newer ones to do this, so I get the best of both worlds. :D

Newer digitals like the 5D IV or the Fuji mirrorless models allow you to very easily transfer photos to your phone within the park.

I once took dual DLSRs into Disneyland. That wasn't fun. I've used single DLSR's, point and shoot, compact full feature (like the Fuji X100 series), and phone cameras at Disneyland. I think the big difference is what model of phone you are using. The newest iPhone/Android phones take excellent pictures. The combined abilities of easy access, no need to wait for turning on or taking it out of a case, and backing up to the cloud, and not dealing with memory cards make it worth it for me. i also like how easy it is to share photos from a phone. Not on social media while on a trip, mostly texting friends and family. I've found that using a high quality phone also makes it easier to take more photos. Taking more photos increases the chances of getting that one shot that you love.

In the end it's about personal preference, what you are willing to put up with while on vacation, and your skill with what you are using. Camera tech helps in some cases, but you would be amazed at what some people can get out of their cameras regardless of what they are using.

It depends on how great of photos you get with your phone.
You can find a really good point and shoot camera. Just check the reviews. Or search for best rated cameras under $200.00 or whatever your price is. I use the Canon sx720 for point and shoot. But I take my dslr camera too. Its heavy, yes, but I'd be sad if I came home with blurry photos. With the movement of characters and kids I want sharp photos. Depending on how much you want to spend you could buy a mirror less camera for about $500.00. And its lighter weight.
Would it be cheaper to buy the memory maker pass?

I always take a camera with me when I got but which camera depends on what I plan on doing during my trip. I will either bring my Nikon D3200 or Nikon L840.

We bring the waterproof camera that Costco sells. Not just for snorkeling/swimming, it's good if you're going to get splashed by a ride or fountain or get caught in the rain :)

The last time we were at WDW, they did not allow selfie sticks in the parks, but did allow portable tripods. Is that still the case? I'm also considering whether to carry a light source, since fill flash doesn't usually make good pictures.

We (myself, wife, daughters 8 & 10) are heading down to WDW this Aug 1-10. I am debating if I buy a pocket sized camera or just use my iPhone XR. Thoughts? Recommendations? Due to bulky size, DSLR style cameras would not be an option...
How was your trip? What did you end up using for pictures?

I always bring my camera, the phone is a back up. I actually bring two phones. My UK phone is terrific quality for photos, but, I prefer a proper point and shoot camera, I also have a super cheap ($30) phone from Walmart with the Family mobile service of 14GB for using in the parks, but, not for photos as its not great for that.

How was your trip? What did you end up using for pictures?
We had a great trip. We had the usual afternoon storms, but overall the weather was nice for the time we were there. As for my camera, I ended up using the Sony RX100 VI for most of my photos and my iPhone XR for the rest. I am very happy with the quality of the pictures from the RX100 VI, but it has one annoying flaw that is fixed in the RX100 VII. The diopter on the RX100 VI moves slightly every time it pops up so you have to readjust often - annoying. That said, the pictures are crisp, clear and the size of the camera meant I could carry it on a belt case or in my pocket which was a big help. I will likely continue to use a "real" camera for future trips to WDW and elsewhere, but I will be selling my RX100 VI due to the diopter annoyance.

We generally use our phones for pictures. But, I always bring our digital video recorder to record, well, video :)

It can be a pain sometimes to shoot video, but looking back and watching them is priceless.

On our last trip we had a mishap half way through our trip that resulted in our camera lens being broken. So the rest of the trip we took pictures with our phones. Looking through our scrapbook of the trip it is very noticeable which pictures were taken from the phones. If we only print 4x6 then it's ok-ish. Which is ok to get by with. But I would much rather be happy with these pictures that we plan to keep for a lifetime then just ok-ish.

I do even more so now with the introduction the photo pass crap boxes those things are awful

I take a DSLR camera with me. I don't take it for all days but if I'm planning on taking pics during a parade or at night my DSLR takes far superior pictures. I have a crossbody strap for my camera so it's easy to carry it and have it at the ready when I want to take a pic.

The difference in quality has reached the point where the physics matters - until you get a bigger sensor, you won't get a better result, and nobody wants a big camera module at the moment. :)

Also, I can take a photo on my DSLR and have it on my phone in seconds, you just have to have one of the newer ones to do this, so I get the best of both worlds. :D

I just learned how to do this on my Canon 80D. Man, I love that feature. I don't send all the pics I take to my phone, but the ones I really want to look at quickly, then yes.

I was thinking after reading a couple threads like this that it's time to get a better phone and carry the full frame camera less. Then this weekend my daughter sent me a photo from her iphone xs for a couple edits in Lightroom. Oh my. It looked great on the phone, but it wasn't even close on the screen.

I just learned how to do this on my Canon 80D. Man, I love that feature. I don't send all the pics I take to my phone, but the ones I really want to look at quickly, then yes.
Not sure if my 6D can do this but I'd like to find out. What program/app are you using?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter