Who SHOULDN’T buy DVC?

My wife & I financed we put down a 1/3 of what we paid... I have no regrets in doing so... My wife works her butt off as a nurse and Disney is a way for her to destress... Therefore it was worth it to us. We finance cars too but we pay them off in half the time. We paid off 14,000 worth of student loans in 18 months. So to say, people, shouldn't finance is extremely subjective

that's exactly how I feel...which goes back to the mindset of each person really needs to weigh their financial situation and think longterm to other financial situations that might come up when buying in. We just bought in the last 2 years and financed (we put down a little less than half and got the lowest rate disney offers for financing) and plan to pay it off within 4 years. Might we lose some money on the deal? yes. At the end of the day, the perks of staying in a quality hotel, near the parks and the enjoyment we always get from Disney trips...outweighs the little bit of money we might lose in the long run of the deal. We plan to use Disney every other year and try and mix in Hilton Head and Vero Beach when we aren't at Disney (assuming we are able to get in 7th months out).

Batting around ideas for a show, and thought about this. I have my opinions (surprise), but I wanted to see what the experts had to say. Who shouldn’t buy DVC? Or, when is DVC not a good option?

To be perfectly honest, me. I should not have bought DVC when I did. My husband and I bought in when we were 21 - we were barely financially stable (the little savings we did have were earmarked for our wedding), we didn't understand the complications of debt, and were easily swayed by excitement and impulsivity. I'm 24 now. We are still paying back the loan that through Disney because we bought direct with financing.

I wish I could go back and do it differently, but I have to say it was a huge learning experience, and we've both grown up quickly in the last three years. The brightest side is that we will have it paid off by July 2020 instead of by the end of 2025 when we are scheduled to be done, and when we come out on the other side, we will have DVC until 2064 (which we've already used twice and love!).

We bought 100 points for studio only stays. And we financed (paid off in 3 years).

Regret nothing. We are happy with our purchase and have never been shut out of a studio (at the prime DVC seasons of early September and early December) but we plan for 11 months out at home resort or 7 at others.

Thought you guys might enjoy this one!

Thanks for sharing @WebmasterJackie - I didn't even realize that this was Pete that started the thread. Nice summary.

I would disagree with the first point of that if you want studios you shouldn't buy DVC. You should however be prepared for having to plan further in advance and sometimes utilize your home resort. However, I have stayed at VGC, BCV, BWV, SSR, Poly and VWL on my AKV contract - so there's lots of chances to get in other resorts.

One group of Disney enthusiast that should not buy DVC I thought would make the show are the people that come to Disney all the time, however, are happy staying in value or moderate resorts.
If you are happy staying in a value, you will not save money drinking the DVC Kool-Aid. If you are happy staying in a moderate, when you put a pencil to whether DVC makes sense, most likely you either break even or like a value, you come out behind.

As a note, Pete thank you and the team for all the entertaining media you do.

Thanks for sharing @WebmasterJackie - I didn't even realize that this was Pete that started the thread. Nice summary.

I would disagree with the first point of that if you want studios you shouldn't buy DVC. You should however be prepared for having to plan further in advance and sometimes utilize your home resort. However, I have stayed at VGC, BCV, BWV, SSR, Poly and VWL on my AKV contract - so there's lots of chances to get in other resorts.
Wanna hear something really funny?

Mine and my hubby's 26th wedding anniversary is next month. He wanted to head down to Disney for a few days so I said I'd check for a room for just two nights. Would you believe that I found a studio at SSR for the exact days I wanted? I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw it and now it's set! Color me shocked!!

Mine and my hubby's 26th wedding anniversary is next month. He wanted to head down to Disney for a few days so I said I'd check for a room for just two nights. Would you believe that I found a studio at SSR for the exact days I wanted? I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw it and now it's set! Color me shocked!!

That's awesome!!!

Batting around ideas for a show, and thought about this. I have my opinions (surprise), but I wanted to see what the experts had to say. Who shouldn’t buy DVC? Or, when is DVC not a good option?

Pete, since you mentioned based on your schedule, most likely you will not make reservations until less than the 7 month mark. I know you love Copper Creek, however, without taking advantage of your home resort advantage, did you think about buying something cheaper direct for your first contract (OKW/SSR)? The remaining years would be less, however, just wondered if you considered it?

Even though this was not your first purchase, you know so much more than most all new buyers. Most new buyers that purchase direct (whether they know about the resale marker or not) would only consider the properties DVD has for sale rather than buying where they want to stay or other properties based on their travel habits.

Other new potential buyers could learn from your thought process.

Last edited:

Awesome!!! Congratulations and have a great time!!

Just watched the video. Guilty on two counts, studios and impulse. We knew about DVC but bought on what we learned during the tour. No regrets. Bought in August 2017, about a year before retiring. Paid cash. Have stayed three times since, two studios and a CC grand villa (awesome), and have two studio trips booked for this year. Just booked studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge for mid October last week. Never had problem getting studios but they have only been three night trips.

Certain resorts like BCV, VGF and CCV will have issues with studios for a lot of the year, because they don’t have a lot. Other that have a lot during busy times will be harder too. Let’s face it everyone wants DVC and to go there as much as they can. I’m guilty. Started with 150 points, currently with 350.

Someone who is certain that they can buy at Aulani (what DVC is offering currently with biggest discount) and at 7 months out, get to reserve the desired exact room, dates and and view at the Beach Club, BLT (or other sought after hotels) in November or the first 2 weeks of December “just like that sweet DVC guide assured us we could do”! Someone who hasn’t done the research to know that it is getting harder to get exactly what you want without the 11 month home resort privileges!

Why makes you say this? We are considering purchasing DVC and were thinking of just getting enough points to book studios.
Studio options are great. We have use exclusively studios for all kinds of trips over the past 3 years. Never had an issue with getting a room so long as we planned the trips ahead of time.

It's a bad idea for military (active and retired) families because the current discounts on rooms and tickets are much better than the savings of buying DVC. The discounts have been in effect for almost 20 years now, and probably unlikely to ever go away completely.

Also, active duty military life is not conducive to being able to plan trips 7-11 months out. More like 2-3 months out is more the norm. Schedules in the military are very unpredictable.

I disagree with your statement about retired military...which I am. There are only so many military discounted rooms at the resorts. There were many times I couldn't get it. I've stayed at SoG, but it doesn't really feel like I'm on property. With DVC we've hosted family in 2-bdm villas, something we'd never be able to do otherwise. We feel DVC was a great purchase for us, and have no problem using our points...we're usually always borrowing from the next use year!

While the Armed Forces Salute Passes are a great value, there is no guarantee Disney will keep offering them from year to year. The regular military discount tickets really aren't that great of a discount....there are almost always better discounts available.

I disagree with your statement about retired military...which I am. There are only so many military discounted rooms at the resorts. There were many times I couldn't get it. I've stayed at SoG, but it doesn't really feel like I'm on property. With DVC we've hosted family in 2-bdm villas, something we'd never be able to do otherwise. We feel DVC was a great purchase for us, and have no problem using our points...we're usually always borrowing from the next use year!

While the Armed Forces Salute Passes are a great value, there is no guarantee Disney will keep offering them from year to year. The regular military discount tickets really aren't that great of a discount....there are almost always better discounts available.

Of course there aren't always rooms at the resort you might want, but I have been using these military discounts annually since this program started, and only once was I unable to get a room (and really, what I mean is, all that was left was not where I wanted to stay, but there were still rooms) and it was for a last minute trip during the F&W festival Run Disney weekend, so it's not surprising. I didn't want All star Sports or AKL, but they were available. I stayed at the Dolphin instead that time. Another time, I got a better deal using a public room discount at Pop fir a few days with my kids. Point is, there has ALWAYS been a way to get the rooms at a discount.

I agree about SoG, personally. However, you can't deny that it is a fantastic option for the military who are eligible to stay there and the price absolutely cannot be beat for the size of the rooms and the fact that they are on property.

We dont ever travel with extended family, and likely never will. Just not how we vacation, but I do see the value of DVC for that circumstance, and as retired military, I suspect your planning ahead ability is far more flexible than it was while active duty. We are at the edge of retirement (still on the active duty side) and even after 20 years, were blindsided recently with overseas unaccompanied year long orders for my husband for this summer. It's a good thing we didn't have a summer vacation planned already...

I know we will continue vacationing with Disney for many, many years, and we will retire relatively young, and I keep DVC on my radar for the future, but we would never buy direct.

Great show.
Curious as to how bad Pete's AddOnItis is!

I do mildly disagree with 2, Studio only and the honorable mention, people who finance.

The studios point is valid, but I think should be qualified. Studios can be hard to get. I am studios only, and have not had an issue, BUT my travel times are flexible. If you are studios only and rigid with time frames, then be careful, cause you can get burned.

Financing - tend to agree, but I do not think it is the pure taboo people make it out to be. Just something to be used cautiously and sparingly, and for good reason.

Would love to see a show on things the guides don't tell you, such as how UY can be important as a form of insurance, and, if you buy direct, multiple small contracts can be better than one larger one.

Welcome Home Pete.

Would love to see a show on things the guides don't tell you, such as how UY can be important as a form of insurance, and, if you buy direct, multiple small contracts can be better than one larger one.

Welcome Home Pete.

Those are a couple of great points! I second this idea. Especially talking about multiple contracts with same or different UY and the pros and cons.

I always love the DIS shows, and a DVC show (much like the Disney Cruise show) is a great addition to the lineup. Thank you!

We have been owners since 2012 and I'm just going to say it is easily the best money we ever spent on something we absolutely don't have to have. We love it. Now, no timeshare is a necessity, but it's been a purchase that has brought us great joy. Our children are now adults, so we're typically two travelers, and we most frequently stay in studios. It's true you can't get in every studio on short notice (monorail resorts are very tough), but we've always been able to find a studio, if needed. We've resort-hopped, as well, and that works on longer stays where you move once. After that, it's cumbersome.

Regarding financing, if we had waited to have the upfront cash, it would have been a long time before we could have bought in. We financed, because that was the option that allowed us to purchase when we did. I would certainly expect that's the perspective of the vast majority of folks who do. It would be silly to argue that paying cash isn't the better, less expensive - often, more responsible - option, but it's not always feasible for everyone. I think this is a bit about your priorities and what's important to you. Money is important to us, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that we were disciplined enough to save the money for deluxe accommodations. DVC was doable and afforded us the opportunity to enjoy those types of vacations when we were ready to do so. Not as practical as the cash buyers, for sure, but for us it was a lot more realistic.

If you can afford to finance (a big "if," for sure) now - at today's prices - versus saving for years to get in at future prices, well, I'm not so sure it's always as simple for everyone as whether or not they have the cash in hand.

I know the show right now is focused on purchasing DVC (is it right for me?), but I'd love to see episodes on the various DVC properties, their history, changes through the years, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!