Which Restaurants to Book to See Resort Decorations?

BK2014

DIS Veteran
My parents are coming to visit us in Orlando over Thanksgiving. We will be staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek. During one of the days over Thanksgiving weekend we would like to take my parents to at least a couple of the WDW resorts to see some of the decorations. We figured we would tie this into dinning at the resorts as well. Given my parents' age and need for a break in the afternoon, we are thinking doing breakfast/brunch at one resort and then dinner at another.

I have not been keeping track of which restaurants are currently open. I know Narcoossee's is reopening and we are thinking that might be a nice dinner idea, which would allow us to see the Grand Floridian, however we are open to all suggestions.

So, with the goal of seeing Christmas decorations in mind, which restaurants/resorts would you choose for breakfast/brunch and dinner?

Just keep in mind that the decorations will be much less than in normal years. No gingerbread displays.

No gingerbread this year. But when it's full on displays we go to BC, BW, GF and WL. AKL is nice too. So I'd suggest a meal at AKL (probably Sanaa and walk over to main lodge). And at GF. And WL.

AKL is nice too. So I'd suggest a meal at AKL (probably Sanaa and walk over to main lodge).

With only the 5th floor DVC villas open in Jambo (and NO Mara, Boma, or Jiko), I would be very surprised if they used the manpower for decorating Jambo as they do in typical years. I'd expect the decorations there to be minimal.

BC and BW may be more minimal as well with only the Villas side open (unless they share a lobby...I'm not familiar enough to know).

With only the 5th floor DVC villas open in Jambo (and NO Mara, Boma, or Jiko), I would be very surprised if they used the manpower for decorating Jambo as they do in typical years. I'd expect the decorations there to be minimal.

BC and BW may be more minimal as well with only the Villas side open (unless they share a lobby...I'm not familiar enough to know).
Yeah. Probably true. Guessing GF and WL would be the best. Kidani (the villas building of AKL) with Sanaa will probably be decorated some. Not as WOW factor as Jambo. But Sanaa is a great meal anyway and they could also do some animal viewing. We stayed at Kidani one Xmas and it was lovely there.

GF could eat at Narcoossees, Citricos or GF Cafe if they are open...not sure. Think they just opened one of the signatures. And I think GF Cafe was open. Edit to say: Narcoossees and Grand Flo Cafe are open

WL has Whispering Canyon Cafe. And also the Storybook dining at Artist Point which might not be open, not sure (edit to say it is not open). They also have that Geyser Point outdoor bar that serves some food. Not extensive but I hear it's good.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses, it hadn't even occurred to me that the Christmas decorations would be less impressive than in years past.

I would suggest late breakfast at Whispering Canyon to dine near that gorgeous lobby. Then after an afternoon siesta, i would have a before dinner drink (coffe or libation) in the new Enchanted Rose, followed by a nice but casual dinner in the Grand Cafe. We actually like it better than Narcooses.

Seeing those 2 lobby's with their grand trees will make you forget about any of the other decorations that are missing.

Last edited:
Disney usually posts what holiday decorations will be where. That may help you decide.

Thank you all for the responses, it hadn't even occurred to me that the Christmas decorations would be less impressive than in years past.

They kind of buried it in an article about this year's Christmas festivities: "Disney Resort hotels will also be decked out for the holidays, with their lobbies featuring iconic trees and other festive flourishes. One thing to keep in mind is that our gingerbread displays will not return to the Resort hotels this year. While we know they are a favorite of people taking in the holiday décor, we’re not able to include those displays due to physical distancing guidelines."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/09/walt-disney-world-resort-holidays-start-nov-6/

Any Restaurants open at the Grand Floridian, Widerness Lodge, Contemporary or Boardwalk, all have great Holiday decorations, although may be limited this year

Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, and Yacht and Beach Club are our favorite resorts to see at Christmas. They also all have amazing dining options (both quick-service and sit-down dining).

We typically go around New Year's to the Grand Floridian which usually means the Gingerbread House was being dismantled or down (here's a photo from January 2019 after the Gingerbread house was down). And the lobby is still very impressive and the resort is still beautiful. As to dining, The Grand Floridian Café typically has availability

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter