Which park for my parents?

suzieqinga

Mouseketeer
I need some input from all of you Disney experts. My family (DH, myself, DS-9, DS -9) will be going to Disney in June. We have the hopper plus passes and will be doing all parks and water parks. My parents (Mom - 64, Dad - 71) will be going to Orlando during the time that we are there and would like to go to just one park with us. Which park should I suggest?

I was thinking they would enjoy either Epcot or MGM. They are in decent shape but do get tired after a lot of walking (esp. in the heat). They are certainly no fan of thrill rides. They did go to Universal with us last year and enjoyed some of the milder rides and the shows. I don't think that they would be interested in seeing Fanstasmic or Illuminations because they are quite the early birds.

So...what do you think? TIA for your help!!!

Suzie

My grandparents (who are around the same age as your parents) really enjoyed Epcot the most. They enjoyed the shops, attractions and the munching around the world!

My mother loves Epcot the most. Although it is a lot of walking we pace it slowly. She did rent the motorized scooter once which worked out well.

She loves the countries the most, but enjoys Future World almost as much. Last trip she even rode Test Track!

My vote would be for Epcot.:) Mom,(84) asked if she could not go and just sit at the Norwegian Pavillion while the rest of us did other things. I was surprised because I had thought she would just want to stay at the resort,(OKW) while the rest of us did the park thing. So come August I have a feeling Mom may be more active than even me(44);) :wave:

Boy, just to pick one park--that's tough! There are pros and cons to both parks. When we went to the parks with my parents two years ago, I would say that they probably experienced more at Epcot than MGM, although they enjoyed their visits to both parks. Since you're only going to have one day with them, you should probably weigh the differences in the parks and visit the one that you think you will be able to do the most attractions as a family, so everyone is enjoying themselves and you're minimizing time family spends waiting outside or splitting up to do something different. Also, while I think Fantasmic is incredible, I also feel that Illuminations has a wider appeal to most age groups. Just something to think about. I'm sure that no matter what you decide, you will have a great time!

Hope you have a magical trip! ::MinnieMo

My vote would definitely be for Epcot. For one thing, it's such a large space that you rarely feel crowded. Also, there's a lot to do that's not thrill rides, but you and the kids will still have access to thrill rides if you want. Lastly, Epcot has a number of great restaurants - I suggesting making a PS for lunch and/or dinner, it'll be a great time for your parents to rest and regain some energy!

I vote for EPCOT too.

They can enjoy everything other than a few rides.

There is plenty for everyone at EPCOT. And plenty of places to cool off.

I know I sat and watched the manatee for a long time once when it was hot outside and I needed a rest.

The Land is cool and a good place to rest, EPCOT just seems more relaxing a day than MGM, despite the size of the park.

Have fun!!

Karen

Two thumbs up for Epcot! There is so much to do there; shopping, attractions, visiting the different countries, dining, and of course, Illuminations. Plus, there are plenty of places to sit and relax in the shade. Magic Kingdom is my favorite park, but Epcot is a very close second. Have a great vacation!:Pinkbounc

What about AK? It's so much more relaxing. My parents liked it for that reason. Not too much walking, and they could sit and people watch while I took the kids to rides. It seemed to have more shady places to sit also. And since they are early birds, get there a little before they open and head staight to the saffari when you get in. You really get to see the animals better.

If not AK then I guess Epcot. But I would suggest wheelchairs or at least 1 to take turns with. It's a much longer day and a lot of walking.

Envelope please.............. And the winner is..................... OMG! ITS EPCOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Epcot is a great relaxing place for seniors::MickeyMo

We are also going down in June and my parents will be coming down the last 4 days of our trip. I was going to ask the same question. They are doing 2 days in the parks. It looks like Epcot and probably Magic Kingdon since we are staying at the Polynesian. Thanks for all of the good advice...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter