which one is better Hong Kong or Shanghai

Which is better ?

• Hong Kong Disneyland

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Shanghai Disneyland

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
That's exactly how my family felt after visiting both parks. While on paper Shanghai is the better park because it's brand new with all new technology, we had a vastly better time at HKDL because of the difference in crowds and cultural differences. Shanghai could be downright unpleasant at times.

Agree one thousand percent. I'd happily go back to Hong Kong (even if the smell of their downtown area made me want to cry it was so pungent) but can leave Shanghai for now. They have a few rides that are more advanced but with Tron opening at WDW soon its really only Pirates that I long for. One ride isn't enough to deal with the downsides whereas HK was calmer and had better food/merchandise. I also REALLY loved their versions of big thunder and the haunted mansion... I'd love to see them somewhere stateside too!

Agree one thousand percent. I'd happily go back to Hong Kong (even if the smell of their downtown area made me want to cry it was so pungent) but can leave Shanghai for now. They have a few rides that are more advanced but with Tron opening at WDW soon its really only Pirates that I long for. One ride isn't enough to deal with the downsides whereas HK was calmer and had better food/merchandise. I also REALLY loved their versions of big thunder and the haunted mansion... I'd love to see them somewhere stateside too!

Please elaborate on the pungent smell ...

Please elaborate on the pungent smell ...

Sewage basically... there are a few other smells but they were far more infrequent. I wasn't surprised when we passed a large facility on the way to Disney and I smelled it for awhile but it was all over downtown too. I also wasn't a fan of all the air conditioners dripping on my head but quickly learned to watch where I walked and stay under cover or away from the buildings so that was manageable. The smell though... I couldn't seem to escape it for long!

When/if we go again I'll probably try to just stay out at Disney and train in... it didn't take THAT long, and the air was fresh and lovely.

Sewage basically... there are a few other smells but they were far more infrequent. I wasn't surprised when we passed a large facility on the way to Disney and I smelled it for awhile but it was all over downtown too. I also wasn't a fan of all the air conditioners dripping on my head but quickly learned to watch where I walked and stay under cover or away from the buildings so that was manageable. The smell though... I couldn't seem to escape it for long!

When/if we go again I'll probably try to just stay out at Disney and train in... it didn't take THAT long, and the air was fresh and lovely.

Ahh I can tolerate that! There's a similar problem in Berlin because post-war there's a population of millions in a city that can handle double.

I was more concerned about fish market type odour haha

Ahh I can tolerate that! There's a similar problem in Berlin because post-war there's a population of millions in a city that can handle double.

I was more concerned about fish market type odour haha

Only if you're near one of the fish markets. That said, we didn't notice any sewage odor in particular, certainly not enough to bother us, but we're used to San Francisco which permanently smells like pee and pot, and NYC where they're oddly proud of piling their garbage on the street!

We like HKDL because it reminded us fo Disneyland in California but we were pleasantly surpised by SHDL. Even though SHDL was massive, we enjoyed the rides and food more there. We did encounter some culture differences in SHDL but we stood our ground and still had a good time. After visiting the Asia parks, it makes us more appreciative of the original Disneyland.

I've done HKDL twice and now am at DS, here on my 2nd day. I can definitively say that Disney Shanghai is significantly better. More rides, better rides, castle is nicer, park is much bigger with much more to do and see. Food is pretty lacking in both places though I'd have to give a slight edge to Shanghai for having more options.

The morning bonus hour for Disney hotel guests is paradise. I rode Pirates this morning and had my own boat 3 consecutive rides, nobody was there.

I'm honestly surprised to see so many choose Shanghai! I would easily choose HK, but I have been there for about 4 days worth, while I've only gone to Shanghai for one day. I'll be getting an Annual Pass there shortly, so I'll get the chance to explore more, and maybe change my mind!

I'm honestly surprised to see so many choose Shanghai! I would easily choose HK, but I have been there for about 4 days worth, while I've only gone to Shanghai for one day. I'll be getting an Annual Pass there shortly, so I'll get the chance to explore more, and maybe change my mind!

Can you share why you would "easily choose HK?" I at least laid out my reasons why I think Shanghai is the much better park.

Can you share why you would "easily choose HK?" I at least laid out my reasons why I think Shanghai is the much better park.

It depends on how you view things. Shanghai Disneyland is great, but it's way too over the top. Plus it's big... maybe too big. I acknowledge that it's built for larger crowds and a different demographic, but HKDL just feels more magical.

Both are worth experiencing, but for me I'd rather go back to HKDL than SDR if given a choice. I look forward to HK's new castle!

It depends on how you view things. Shanghai Disneyland is great, but it's way too over the top. Plus it's big... maybe too big. I acknowledge that it's built for larger crowds and a different demographic, but HKDL just feels more magical.

Both are worth experiencing, but for me I'd rather go back to HKDL than SDR if given a choice. I look forward to HK's new castle!

Is it that big? I mean it's smaller than WDW, DL, Disney Tokyo. So are those too big also?

Is it that big? I mean it's smaller than WDW, DL, Disney Tokyo. So are those too big also?

With all due respect, have you been to all the parks? Shanghai Disneyland is massive in size compared to ALL the others.

Look at this article comparing park sizes from 2012, before SDR was built.

Then look at this article that says the following about Shanghai Disneyland:
"So yeah, it’s unbelievably big. Like, really REALLY big. Walking from one end to the other takes a lot of time."

You are correct in SDR being smaller than WDW, but we're talking about individual parks. You don't realistically spend a single day at all 4 WDW parks.

With all due respect, have you been to all the parks? Shanghai Disneyland is massive in size compared to ALL the others.

Look at this article comparing park sizes from 2012, before SDR was built.

Then look at this article that says the following about Shanghai Disneyland:
"So yeah, it’s unbelievably big. Like, really REALLY big. Walking from one end to the other takes a lot of time."

You are correct in SDR being smaller than WDW, but we're talking about individual parks. You don't realistically spend a single day at all 4 WDW parks.

I have been to all 6 Disney Parks. Shanghai was the last one I needed.

I felt that it was big but I don't really get the complaint about that. I'd certainly prefer that to a midget park like HKDL.

Sources vary, but from the numbers I can find, parks ranked by size are:
1. Animal Kingdom: 580 acres
2. Epcot: 300 acres
3. Shanghai: 225 acres
4. DisneySea: 176 acres
5. Disneyland Paris: 140 acres
6. Hollywood Studios (Florida): 137 acres
7. Tokyo Disneyland: 115 acres
8. Magic Kingdom: 110 acres
9. Disneyland CA: 85-100 acres
10: California Adventure: 72 acres
11: Hong Kong Disneyland: 68 acres
12: Walt Disney Studios: 62 acres

Since you don't walk through a lot of that land in AK and Epcot, Shanghai is definitely huge.

I actually revise my answer from Hong Kong to Shanghai based on some changes in the past six months:
1. Shanghai now has an annual pass and has expanded its seasonal offerings. At the same time, Hong Kong has cut Magic Access benefits and downgraded a lot of its seasonal stuff.
2. The opening of the bridge means that Hong Kong's guest situation has gotten worse, especially around Chinese holidays.
3. Maintenance is becoming a problem in Hong Kong. Rides and shows malfunction and get taken down quite often these days.
4. Hong Kong has been cutting costs and trying to get Magic Access members to spend more in the park at the expense of guest experience. Shanghai is still investing and willing to upgrade things without chasing financial figures.

At least right now, I have more faith in Shanghai's management than Hong Kong's. I was in Hong Kong for Mickey's birthday last year but after seeing the celebrations at the other parks, I can say that Shanghai had the best one. However, I'm hoping Hong Kong is just suffering as they wait for the new castle and Frozen land. To give Hong Kong some credit, food and the silver Magic Access pass have slightly improved.

Well, a huge part is that, like I’ve mentioned, I’ve spent more time at HK, so I feel more comfortable evaluating it. What I didn't like about SH in comparison was the long lines and a perceived lack of attractions and things to do and a difference in staff attitude.

As for the attractions, I didn't love tron, but I am fat and rode in the handicap -accessible seated vehicle, so it might have been soured by that. I’m still not sure if I’m actually too fat for the bike vehicles or if the guy couldn’t be bothered to try to assist me properly. I live in China, so I know what service to expect, and this wasn’t even good by those standards.

After tron Is out of the equation, there’s only pirates that’s a top level ride. I love that, obviously, but the only other thing that stands out a year and half later is Tarzan, which was good, but I like HK’s lion king better as a show. Voyage to the crystal grotto stands out as being really bizzarre and disappointing, though worth doing at least the once. At HK, I love wonderous book, mystic manor, iron man, the army men parachute drop, hyperspace mountain, the mine cart coaster whose name I’m blanking on, and lion king, while most of the other attractions are at least doing once. Plus, the lines were short enough at HK, it’s easy to do a ride I love more than once. Really only pirates has a “short” line at SH.

I also didn’t try enough food, being only there for a day, but I did really love the Mac and cheese and bacon hot dog. AT HK though, I didn’t eat much either, nothing that stands out.

Walking around, I’ll admit I didn’t have enough time with SH to really appreciate it, but hk seems cleaner in my memory, despite being older. I liked the merchandise at HK better. It was more unique. SH merch seemed to be a lot of toys and tshirts, while HK had some more unique things. In particular, I love gifting their chopsticks. I was shocked that SH doesn’t have their own version of them.

I did just purchase an annual pass though, and booked a hotel for next weekend, so I’ll find plenty of things to love, I’m sure! But, it’s worth noting that the guy on the phone made a joke about me being lonely when I made a reservation for one. I still can’t decide if it was funny or if it was rude, but at least he had a personality, I guess!

Well, a huge part is that, like I’ve mentioned, I’ve spent more time at HK, so I feel more comfortable evaluating it. What I didn't like about SH in comparison was the long lines and a perceived lack of attractions and things to do and a difference in staff attitude.

As for the attractions, I didn't love tron, but I am fat and rode in the handicap -accessible seated vehicle, so it might have been soured by that. I’m still not sure if I’m actually too fat for the bike vehicles or if the guy couldn’t be bothered to try to assist me properly. I live in China, so I know what service to expect, and this wasn’t even good by those standards.

After tron Is out of the equation, there’s only pirates that’s a top level ride. I love that, obviously, but the only other thing that stands out a year and half later is Tarzan, which was good, but I like HK’s lion king better as a show. Voyage to the crystal grotto stands out as being really bizzarre and disappointing, though worth doing at least the once. At HK, I love wonderous book, mystic manor, iron man, the army men parachute drop, hyperspace mountain, the mine cart coaster whose name I’m blanking on, and lion king, while most of the other attractions are at least doing once. Plus, the lines were short enough at HK, it’s easy to do a ride I love more than once. Really only pirates has a “short” line at SH.

I also didn’t try enough food, being only there for a day, but I did really love the Mac and cheese and bacon hot dog. AT HK though, I didn’t eat much either, nothing that stands out.

Walking around, I’ll admit I didn’t have enough time with SH to really appreciate it, but hk seems cleaner in my memory, despite being older. I liked the merchandise at HK better. It was more unique. SH merch seemed to be a lot of toys and tshirts, while HK had some more unique things. In particular, I love gifting their chopsticks. I was shocked that SH doesn’t have their own version of them.

I did just purchase an annual pass though, and booked a hotel for next weekend, so I’ll find plenty of things to love, I’m sure! But, it’s worth noting that the guy on the phone made a joke about me being lonely when I made a reservation for one. I still can’t decide if it was funny or if it was rude, but at least he had a personality, I guess!

So here is where I'm struggling. For me, HKDL is the park with the lack of attractions. Once you get past Mystic Manor, Hyperspace Mountain, Grizzly Gulch, there is almost nothing.

Shanghai has Tron (I get you're not a fan), Pirates, Mine Train ride, Soarin' (I'm shocked you didn't mention this one), Buzz Lightyear Shooter, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Roaring Rapids. And several other things that are pretty cool like the Alice in Wonderland maze.

I get different strokes for different folks but I can't accept the premise that HKDL has better rides. For me, that's actually the one thing that CAN'T be argued in HKDL's favor.

So here is where I'm struggling. For me, HKDL is the park with the lack of attractions. Once you get past Mystic Manor, Hyperspace Mountain, Grizzly Gulch, there is almost nothing.

Shanghai has Tron (I get you're not a fan), Pirates, Mine Train ride, Soarin' (I'm shocked you didn't mention this one), Buzz Lightyear Shooter, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Roaring Rapids. And several other things that are pretty cool like the Alice in Wonderland maze.

I get different strokes for different folks but I can't accept the premise that HKDL has better rides. For me, that's actually the one thing that CAN'T be argued in HKDL's favor.

Which Winnie the Pooh are you talking about? Do you mean Hunny Pot Spin which is a Tea Party clone or the Chinese translation of Many Adventures which is a copy of Hong Kong and Florida?

As an aside, if someone had access to WDW, then Mine Train, Soarin, and Peter Pan are not really novel but Hyperspace Mountain is. I'm also not a big fan of Tron. I find it uncomfortable and it cannot be experienced with glasses on. But I fully agree that Shanghai has better rides.

Which Winnie the Pooh are you talking about? Do you mean Hunny Pot Spin which is a Tea Party clone or the Chinese translation of Many Adventures which is a copy of Hong Kong and Florida?

As an aside, if someone had access to WDW, then Mine Train, Soarin, and Peter Pan are not really novel but Hyperspace Mountain is. I'm also not a big fan of Tron. I find it uncomfortable and it cannot be experienced with glasses on. But I fully agree that Shanghai has better rides.
I guess that I have been to wdw biases me against soarin, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and mine train. Part of the reason I don’t take them into consideration isn’t that none have ever been my favorites there, so I don’t love them here. On top of that, when I’ve gone to HK, I could do 2-4 times in the “minor” rides for how long It would take to do one in SH with the lines, but that was pre-bridge and lucky (light rain, enough to keep people out, but not enough to ruin the trip). I also didn’t mention small world for HK although I actually like that’s theirs includes Disney characters.

I guess that I have been to wdw biases me against soarin, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and mine train. Part of the reason I don’t take them into consideration isn’t that none have ever been my favorites there, so I don’t love them here. On top of that, when I’ve gone to HK, I could do 2-4 times in the “minor” rides for how long It would take to do one in SH with the lines, but that was pre-bridge and lucky (light rain, enough to keep people out, but not enough to ruin the trip). I also didn’t mention small world for HK although I actually like that’s theirs includes Disney characters.

Okay so you don't like Soarin', Tron, Mine Train or Pan. I mean, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you're definitely in the minority. There is a reason those rides (especially the first 3) have the longest lines.

I didn't experience these long lines you keep mentioning which perhaps clouds my judgement. I was there on a Wed, Thurs, Fri.

Question, did you take advantage of the extra morning hour for hotel guests? You can get a lot done during that hour, which HK doesn't offer.

Also, the 10:30 opening time at HK is asinine.

Last edited:

Couldn't you just take your glasses off for Tron? It's not really a ride about seeing but more about feeling. That initial blast is pretty much the greatest thing Disney has ever done, at least for me.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking but I don't see Hyperspace Mountain as novel. It's just Space Mountain with some added gimmicks.

Someone else mentioned the Iron Man attraction at HK which I find to be extremely lame. There is a reason it's always a walk on ride, something you use to kill time for something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter