Where to buy diapers?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
My DD (15yo) has finally outgrown size 6 Huggies. I'm hoping that someone here may have suggestions as to where the cheapest place to buy/order teen or small adult size diapers. My DD is very small for her age. She is only about 52lbs and wears a size 8 in little girls. I've checked with our health insurance and they do not cover diapers as they say that they are a patient convenience. We do not qualify for Medicaid based on parental income. I'm found a few on Ebay but the shipping is so expensive.

When I was at Sam's Club a few weeks ago, I saw adult diapers but they only had them in M and L and I think that they will both be too big.

Thanks!

Try doing a google search for adult diapers or large size children's diapers. I know there are companies out there that do home delivery, I just can't think of their names right now. You also might search for incontince products.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I've tried appealing the decision to the board of directors (our health insurance is through the union that DH belongs to). They are self-insured and as such, do not fall under the guidance of the state board of insurance. They say that it's not medically necessary and that it's a parents job to pay for diapers for their children. :mad: I understand that but for an almost 16yo that is completely dependent on adults for all of her care and has no concept of "potty training" or the physical ability to get there (she is non-ambulatory) ...I think that it is a necessity. They gave us the same run-around when we tried to get them to cover a chair so that she can take a bath. Again, they said that it's not medically necessary that she have a bath so we had to pay out of pocket for it. There's a list of other things that they won't cover (hearing aids, occularist-makes a prosthesis for her eye, nutritional supplements, any therapy...) so diapers are just one more thing that we need to pay out of pocket for.

We're in the suburbs of Chicago so it's difficult to find "mom and pop" type pharmacies but I will look. I doubt that CVS, Osco or Walgreens would be willing to give us a discount but I will call and ask. It really couldn't hurt.

DD will not be 18yo until the summer of 2012. I'm assuming that she will be able to get Medicaid then but I may be wrong. If she does, do you know if the diapers would be covered? I know that's 2 years away but I'm just trying to get an idea.

DD has a very rare genetic disease called Alpha Mannosidosis.

Thanks again!

I can see how an insurance company might call disposable diapers a convenience item (you could use washable products), but my guess is that they are calling them a convenience item in the hope that you will just give up and pay for them yourself. That would obviously save the insurance company some money. I would suggest checking into the alternative ways to get the cost of diapers that were mentioned and also file an appeal with the insurance company. One of my friends used to work for an insurance company and she said that the companies are counting that about 50% of people give up when they are told no. Those who appeal also have about 50% give up after getting a no to the appeal. By the time people have gotten to the point they are told yes, a large number have just stopped asking. They may also be looking at the item (diapers) and never looking at the age of the child.
So, get some documentation from the doctor and hopefully, you will be able to get them paid for.

Most of the adult products are going to be too big for your child. The smallest size of DEPENDS with tape to fit is a waist size of 19-34 inches and a hip size of 26-41 inches, with a weight up to 170 pounds. Those would actually be large on me. The other adult brand names and 'generic' brands are sized similarly.

One company that I know of, Tena, makes products for adults, but also has some in children's sizes.
If you do a google search for youth diapers , you will find many companies that sell small adult and large child size diapers (including the TENA brand). some of the companies will also send samples at a nominal cost. Some of those companies may also be able to help with getting the diapers covered by insurance.

If you want something that you can find in most stores, I would suggest looking at Goodnites. If you like the pullup style of Huggies, they are similar to that, but in larger sizes (they are actually a Huggies product).
They were designed for children with bedwetting situations, but I know a lot of people use them for older children or small adults who need protection.
The S/M is for 38-65 pounds and the L/XL is for 60-125 pounds. So, sized much more appropriately for children.

Pampers makes a similar product called UnderJams, but the sizes are different. SM is for 38-65 pounds (same as Goodnites), but the L/XL only goes up to 85 pounds.
Even if you find an online store that will deliver products to your home, it's nice to know you can go to a local store and pick something up that will work.

We had some from our medical supply company, but both the 'diapers' and the pull-ups were horrible. We opted to go with the the Goodnites (they're really a huggies product, so some stores let you use huggies coupons, like Target). I have a boy, and we LOVE them. Very few leak issues, and he's on a feeding pump that runs through the night. Never an issue at school, and he's pretty active there (he is mobile). Though DS has CP, his need for diapers primarily stems from a kidney issue where he doesn't sense that he's urinating - so we're probably in this for the long haul. At 64 lbs, we're still wearing the S/M diaper, but will be crossing over soon. The L/XL is too big, but last week they just put a redesigned diaper out - it has softer and more flexible, knit/fabric like sides. This will keep him wearing the S/M for longer, which is great for fit and the budget (more diapers in a pack).

Now if we can just find a solution for the pools. *sigh*

PS. We are not a fan of underjams. The rise is too low, and the leg holes are too wide. But if that was how our child was shaped, I'm sure they would work fine - the absorbency seemed similar to goodnites.

I don't know if either of these ideas would help, so please ignore them if they don't:)

Pamper's just started making size 7 diapers. I think the packages said 45+ pounds.

Also, if you're not opposed to cloth diapers, there are different companies that make a huge variety of sizes. When I was buying cloth for my son, I saw quite a few companies that made them for bigger kids, and up into adult sizes.

Hope some of that can help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter