Where do you look for babysitters?

swimlib

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I am a grad student as well as a special needs babysitter. I know people are always looking for sitters but I can never seem to find those people.

Where do you as parents go to find babysitters? Especially those in CT?

Thanks!

Unfortunately most places that special need parents frequent are pretty "closed door" meaning they don't advertise. I would think that craigslist under babysitter might help. Or you could try the local agenices that deal with special needs, they might be hiring for certain respite or PASS like programs.

I can tell you finding a qualified special needs sitter is very hard and wish you the best of luck'

Contact your local school districts guidance office- seriously. They either know of programs that the school district already has in place (and you can look into volunteering) or they can pass on your phone number when they encounter a parent who is looking for someone. I know that right now, parents are looking for shadows for summer camp if you are willing/able to do that.

I found my (former) steady job through an adaptive swim program- I was teaching swim lessons to a little girl with cerebral palsy. It took time to show mom that I was capable (lifting, toileting...) before I started babysitting. The end of that story is that the "little girl" is a teenager and we still keep in touch even though we are many states apart!

Since “special needs” is such a broad category it might be a good idea to have a letter of introduction which state the specific special needs you have training and experience in and find your local support groups for those areas and make it available at their meeting.

As others have said a qualified babysitter if worth his or her weight in gold (even though parents cannot afford that much) to many parents of special needs children.

bookwormde

You can also sign up for something like sittercity.com. It's a site that matches sitters with families, and they have an area where you can specify which special needs you work with.

In our state to use Respite the people must be on the state certified program. It sucks because it takes about $100 and 3 months time.

I advertise at a college in January for help in the summer and explain they must go through the State. The pay is $16 an hour though, not too bad.

You could also contact a home health provider in your area. In MS you can go through a training and be placed in home with a special needs child.

The other option is churches. We have several in our area that offer programs for special needs children (support groups for parents, Parent's Night Out activities) and you are more likely to get a parent to trust you if they see you working with their child in a safe environment where there are other children and adults.

Once you get "in the door" with a family, word will get out that you are competent and you will have way more requests to help families than you will have time!

What you are doing is very helpful to these families. You have a wonderful opportunity to really influence the life of a special child and their family. It is so rewarding!!!

Too bad you're not in Alabama! :lmao: I will be in need of one when school starts back in the fall...it is SO difficult to find someone! Good luck in your quest. If there is a Children's Hospital in your area, you could check with them. Also, if there is a place that does children's physical therapy/ occupational therapy you could check there, too. Also, if your state has a Children's Rehabilitation Services, they might be another alternative. Again, good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter