When to get an Annual Pass

burger315

Earning My Ears
Looking for some guidance here, but first a little background. Current trip for four people:
Dec 30th - Pop - decided late to just get a location for arrival night on property so we can avoid crowds coming in on Dec 31.
Dec 31 to Jan 6 - CR
6 day tickets

Is there an easy way to determine if buying one Annual Pass would save us money? Also can any AP discounts be applied to the current reservation?

Sorry if I didn't provide enough info - any thought?

Thanks in advanced

Rooms are booked so no AP discount for that. As far as other discounts then sure, you get 20% off most merchandise,and 10% off some dining locations. You also get a Photopass included in the price of the AP so that is a $169 savings. Beyond that the value of the AP comes from making more than one trip a year. If I recall correctly the break even is around 11 park day admissions. Less than that and the AP is more expensive. But then again if you add back the discounts, and the photopass then it helps. You really just need to apply the discounts to your touring style. Do you buy photopass?, Do you buy a lot of gifts/merchandise? Where do you like to eat? The AP page on MDE lists the dining options that offer the discount so you can see if it is places you have booked or like to go.

Looking for some guidance here, but first a little background. Current trip for four people:
Dec 30th - Pop - decided late to just get a location for arrival night on property so we can avoid crowds coming in on Dec 31.
Dec 31 to Jan 6 - CR
6 day tickets

Is there an easy way to determine if buying one Annual Pass would save us money? Also can any AP discounts be applied to the current reservation?

Thanks in advanced

I can't answer regarding the room rates on AP discount - but I can tell you that the AP's "break even" point is around 11 park days. Meaning, if you think you'll visit the park for 11 total days over the course of the year it's valid, then you get your money's worth out of it.

Also, you would need a Platinum pass. Gold has blockout dates until 1/4 for the holidays.

Dec 31 to Jan 6 - CR
6 day tickets

Thanks in advanced
You may want to ask this question on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategy Forum where the ticket guru @Robo most often posts.

Dec 31 to Jan 6 - CR
6 day tickets

Thanks in advanced
You have to do the math for yourself. A Platinum AP is about $952 per person, with tax (FL residents and DVC owners pay $798). A 6-day hopper for those dates runs $569 for an adult. Will you save $229-$383 on food and merchandise? Not SPEND, but SAVE. As others have already pointed out, you will not save on a room because there are none available for your dates so there will be no savings there.

Dec 31 to Jan 6 - CR
6 day tickets

Thanks in advanced
OK, so I just checked the pass holder offers. There's a room discount for 2018 up to Dec 25th. And there is a Passholder offer for Jan 1 - April 27. However, I just checked Passholder offers for Jan 1 - Jan 6 or Jan 2 - 6 and nothing is coming up for those dates with a Passholder discount right now. Not even the value resorts. That is probably the busiest time of the year. I think finding a hotel Passholder discount would be very difficult. I would say it's unlikely you would make up the additional $383 per person in your party to upgrade to AP.

So I just checked again (Disney's website is sooo glitchy!) and there aren't any Passholder rates available at any monorail resort or WL (well, except for suites at GF for $1300/night), but there is AP availability at the Epcot resorts from 1/2 through 1/6. The best offer is BWI for $333 + tax/night from 1/2 - 1/6. That's a pretty good rate!

I wouldn't think an AP would be worth it unless you plan on going back next year before it expires. If you will go back, you may be able to get discounted rates on your next room stay and the Photopass will still be linked to your account. This could result in substantial savings. We are doing a 3 night March trip and a 8 night December trip next year and are planning on buying an AP next month so that we can do FastPasses next January. We are still looking for AP hotel rates, but we are taking our dogs to PO-Riverside for Mardi Gras and are limited by our room selection. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!