When PIXAR Invades The Disneyland Resort! April 7-15, 2018! *COMPLETED 8/6/18*

Hi everyone! I’m just letting you know that updates from this trip will continue tomorrow or Monday. However, I just need to say what I got to do today...

I got to cross off a Disney bucket list item. Several DISers and I got to go to Marceline, Missouri and walk around the small town that Walt Disney called his “hometown!” We got to tour the Walt Disney Hometown Museum, and we got to meet the person that is currently living in Walt Disney’s boyhood home! We also got to walk down the street that inspired a lot of Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland! The main highlight of the day was we got to go inside a replica of the barn that Walt Disney spent a lot of time located on the farm land that his family owned. We got to sign our names in the barn as well!

I had a great time with many people from this website!

Stay tuned for more about this day trip coming in May!

Thank you for joining in! Do you have a trip coming up?
Sadly, I don't. My husband and I were at WDW in December/January where I did my first ever runDisney events!! I'm not sure when we will get back, sadly, though we will be in Orlando in June for a surprise trip to Wizarding World of HP for my son's birthday :)

Going to Marceline sounds incredible!!!

Sadly, I don't. My husband and I were at WDW in December/January where I did my first ever runDisney events!! I'm not sure when we will get back, sadly, though we will be in Orlando in June for a surprise trip to Wizarding World of HP for my son's birthday :)

Going to Marceline sounds incredible!!!
That's awesome! We were at WDW at the same time, but I didn't participate in any of the RunDisney events.

I have never been to Universal, but that sounds like fun!

It was incredible. Definitely a small town, but for a Disney fan, there was a lot to take in

Day 1: California Highlights - Los Angeles Angels Baseball Game!

After my Dad and I arrived at our hotel for the next couple of nights in Los Angeles, we would make our way to Anaheim.

On a good day, it’s about a 40-45 minute drive to Anaheim. When there is traffic, you never know how long that will take.

Well, my Dad and I would hit traffic! :D

We would finally arrive in Anaheim, and we came across the Disneyland Drive sign. However, we weren’t going to Disneyland. We were going to a baseball game!

I had been looking forward to seeing my favorite baseball team play inside Angel Stadium once again.

My Dad and I would make our way to front of the stadium where I would take pictures of the entrance. I really enjoy the large baseball helmets.

My Dad and I were ready for a baseball game!

2002 was a great year! :) I still remember many aspects of that World Series to this day.

The view from our seats. We were seated in the middle section in right field.

It was great to see the rock work once again!

It was time for some LA Angels baseball!!! The Angels were playing the Oakland Athletics this evening.

The Angels weren’t doing to well, so I would eventually decide to go on a walk around the stadium.

The Big A!!! Would the Angels “light up that halo” tonight? They always light up the halo when they win.

When the Angels hosted the All-Star Game many years ago, all of the ballparks got a Mickey statue. I was able to find the statue at Angels Stadium.

The backside of the rock work.

It really did feel great to be back!

I would make it back to my seat just in time for an LA Angels home run!!!

The Angels shoot off fireworks from the rocks whenever they hit a home run.

The Angels were still losing, and we were starting to get into the later innings. Any Angels fan knows that if the Angels are losing in the later innings that we will be visited by one special guest. That special guest is…THE RALLY MONKEY!!! Angels fans go crazy over this monkey and have been for many years now. We love this monkey so much!

Well, the Angels would eventually lose the game. I wasn’t to upset, because the season had just started. Plus, you can’t win every game.

It was also fireworks night at the Big A, but my Dad and I elected to leave before the fireworks started. We still had a drive to get back to LA, and we were tired from traveling that morning.

As we left, I caught a glimpse of the post-game announcers for the Angels, and one of them is one of my favorite Angels of all time. That person is Tim Salmon (on the right in the grey suit).

The fireworks would eventually start at the Big A!

As my Dad and I continued to walk towards the car, we would catch a glimpse of the Remember…Dreams Come True Firework Show at Disneyland!

So, my Dad and I would make our way to Los Angeles and catch some rest. We would have another fun day planned the next day!

More in my next post.

Day 2: California Highlights - Huntington Beach Pier!

Day 2 of our trip would arrive, and we decided to get out and enjoy the nice Southern California weather! We were off to the beach!

We didn’t want to go to just any beach. We were planning on going to Huntington Beach which is the beach I would go to the most when we lived in Southern California.

My Dad and I would get not eh freeway, and I caught a glimpse of the Goodyear blimp! This blimp can be seen at most professional sporting events in Southern California.

About 45 minutes would pass, and we finally arrived at Huntington Beach!

It was a beautiful day in Southern California!

The main reason my Dad and I planned to come here was to go to the Huntington Beach Pier to eat at someplace special.

My Dad and I would begin walking on the pier.

My Dad and I on the Huntington Beach Pier!

The choice for lunch on this day was Ruby’s Diner on the Pier! This is a unique location, because you have a great view of the ocean from the restaurant.

Ruby’s is a chain around Southern California, and they have a lot of great items. My favorite thing to get at any Ruby’s Diner is a shake. So, I would have to get a chocolate shake.

View from our table.

We would enjoy a great lunch at the restaurant, and it was time to make our way back.

As we were walking back down the pier, we came across a pelican. I immediately thought of the Finding Nemo movie for some reason.

My Dad and I would make our way back to the rental car at this point. It was time for us to leave the beach, and make our way to our next sporting event of the trip!

Stay tuned for more updates.

The choice for lunch on this day was Ruby’s Diner on the Pier! This is a unique location, because you have a great view of the ocean from the restaurant.

Ruby’s is a chain around Southern California, and they have a lot of great items. My favorite thing to get at any Ruby’s Diner is a shake. So, I would have to get a chocolate shake.
We always used to go to the Ruby's on the Seal Beach pier. It's too bad they shut it down (I think there was a rent dispute), so there currently is no tenant, and you can't even go down to the end of the pier anymore!

Looks great so far! I know a lot of people do it but I would love to see as many baseball stadiums in my life time as possible. So far I have been to two...

We always used to go to the Ruby's on the Seal Beach pier. It's too bad they shut it down (I think there was a rent dispute), so there currently is no tenant, and you can't even go down to the end of the pier anymore!
I remember going there also as a kid, but my family would normally eat at BJ's close to the beach at Seal Beach.

Looks great so far! I know a lot of people do it but I would love to see as many baseball stadiums in my life time as possible. So far I have been to two...
Thanks! I would like to get every baseball park, but I'm not in a hurry to do it. I think it would be fun to follow the Angels one year when they have a pretty extensive road trip in one part of the country, but that might be several years down the road. I think I have seen a game in 7 stadiums (Angels, Royals, Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks, Twins, and the old Seattle Mariners Indoor Stadium), and I have toured 2 others (Cardinals and Rangers). I really want to get to Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

I saw the Red Sox Mickey statue at Fenway when I was there back in September when I was there to see Lady Gaga on her tour (if that's any indication of my feelings towards baseball) and I always wondered why that just happened to be there.

What a gorgeous day at Huntington Beach! All those pics are really getting me in the mood for summer. Thank goodness the snow finally stopped and the sun came out for us on the East coast. I can't wait to get out to Cali for more constant dry non-humid heat.

That's awesome! We were at WDW at the same time, but I didn't participate in any of the RunDisney events.
Now I'll have to look for you in the background of my pics while I'm working on my TR :)

2002 was a great year! :) I still remember many aspects of that World Series to this day.

Just like me, here in Chicago, still living in the World Series glow of 2005 when my White Sox won the World Series!! It's just something that stays with you, isn't it?!

I loved reading about the game and all of the Angels traditions, etc. I really love watching baseball at the ballpark. I have a friend who just finished up his tour of hitting every MLB ballpark!! He had a blast! So far, in my life, I have only been to Comiskey (both old and new), Wrigley Field (against my will!!), and Miller Park (again both old and new!)

40836709274_b41e6b75b7_z.jpg
I love your Dad's shirt!!

I remember going there also as a kid, but my family would normally eat at BJ's close to the beach at Seal Beach.
OMG-you have finally validated my memories! I always thought I saw a BJs along Main Street but my family says I must have been thinking about another beach town! Now I know I WAS RIGHT!

Now, we tend to go to Taco Surf, just a whole in the wall place but very yummy fish tacos. Or we leave before dinner altogether. But we will never go back to Walt's Wharf-they accidentally spilled a tray of drinks on my elderly grandma, and barely apologized for it! Left a bad taste in our mouth!

I saw the Red Sox Mickey statue at Fenway when I was there back in September when I was there to see Lady Gaga on her tour (if that's any indication of my feelings towards baseball) and I always wondered why that just happened to be there.

What a gorgeous day at Huntington Beach! All those pics are really getting me in the mood for summer. Thank goodness the snow finally stopped and the sun came out for us on the East coast. I can't wait to get out to Cali for more constant dry non-humid heat.
At least you have been inside Fenway, and I haven't.

Same here for the midwest. We have had 2 straight days in 70+ degrees, and it feels so good!!!

Now I'll have to look for you in the background of my pics while I'm working on my TR :)

Just like me, here in Chicago, still living in the World Series glow of 2005 when my White Sox won the World Series!! It's just something that stays with you, isn't it?!

I loved reading about the game and all of the Angels traditions, etc. I really love watching baseball at the ballpark. I have a friend who just finished up his tour of hitting every MLB ballpark!! He had a blast! So far, in my life, I have only been to Comiskey (both old and new), Wrigley Field (against my will!!), and Miller Park (again both old and new!)

I love your Dad's shirt!!
Lol...I have a trip report from that trip that I recently finished called "Taking A First Timer To Walt Disney World." Check it out if you would like to. I still can't believe how cold that trip was.

Your team winning any championship is always amazing. Those are just things you won't forget. For example...My Dad and I have a favorite NFL team, and that is the Eagles. So, you can imagine we will be remembering this year for a long time.

There is nothing like watching baseball at a ballpark. I usually have a hard time watching it on T.V.

My dad was a police officer for many years, so we are a family that has always supported first responders.

OMG-you have finally validated my memories! I always thought I saw a BJs along Main Street but my family says I must have been thinking about another beach town! Now I know I WAS RIGHT!

Now, we tend to go to Taco Surf, just a whole in the wall place but very yummy fish tacos. Or we leave before dinner altogether. But we will never go back to Walt's Wharf-they accidentally spilled a tray of drinks on my elderly grandma, and barely apologized for it! Left a bad taste in our mouth!

I have many memories from that BJ's. :D

Day 2: California Highlights - MLS Soccer Game!

Hello everyone and welcome to another day 2 update from our trip! I am here to bring you some more of our highlights around Southern California!

It was time for my Dad and I to enter enemy territory. That is because we were going to a soccer game. It wasn’t just any soccer game. It was Sporting Kansas City against the LA Galaxy in LA! Both teams are apart of Major League Soccer.

My Dad and I are both Sporting Kansas City fans, and Sporting Kansas City is the only team in Major League Soccer that still gives FREE away game tickets to their fans. So, it just worked out that our trip coincided with this BIG match.

So, my Dad and I would arrive at the Stubhub Center wearing enemy gear. Lets just say I was a little nervous since this was my first away soccer game.

We would go quickly to our seats where I would snap some pictures of a mostly “empty” stadium. It wouldn’t be empty later on though. The away section did not have bad seats at all.

My Dad and I in the away supporters section!

Eventually, our team would come on the field for warm-ups!

After warm-ups, we had about 20 minutes before the game started.

Eventually, the players would come out and it was time for the National Anthem!

The first half would begin. It was a pretty even first half, but the score would end 0-0 going into halftime. The 10 rows of Sporting Kansas City fans were a little nervous since LA Galaxy recently got a new player by the name of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He’s a very popular player and most of the people probably at the game came to see him.

Anyways, the 2nd half would begin. To our amazement, Sporting Kansas City would score first and we all started going crazy. Then 4 minutes later, we would have another goal to put Sporting Kansas City up 2-0! Lets just say I was really happy that we were surrounded by security to protect us. It would be a long 20 minutes though since the LA Galaxy would bring on Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Here is a video that Major League Soccer posted from the game. If you would like to watch the goals:

1st goal: 1:10-1:33 of the video.
2nd goal: 1:34-2:19 of the video (You can see the heads of my Dad and I when they show the away fans. My Dad and I were on T.V! :D )

20 minutes would go by, and the final whistle would blow! Sporting Kansas City shut-out the LA Galaxy by a score of 2-0! It was a great night for all of the traveling supporters for our favorite MLS Soccer Club!

It was then time to head to the car, but I was really afraid at this point. There were a lot of angry soccer fans around me, but I didn’t say anything. I’m just happy I survived my first away soccer game, and it was so much fun! I’m sure part of the reason why it was fun was because my team won!

My Dad and I would then head back to our hotel for the evening since it was now getting pretty late, and we had a busy day ahead of us.

More in my next post.

Last edited:
Days 3 and 4: California Highlights - Downtown LA and Downtown Disney!

Welcome to day 3 and 4 of our trip to Southern California!

I’m combining both of these days, because I really don’t have a lot of highlights between these two days.

DAY 3:

My Dad and I had a very important reason why we came to California. It is very personal so I won’t get into it here, but for a couple days, we had to drive to Downtown LA.

So, of course we had to deal with early morning traffic. Yippee!!

We would eventually arrive in Downtown LA, and I forget how tall many of these buildings actually are. For as long as I lived in California, my family would never go to Downtown LA. I think I could count on two hands how many times I have actually been inside Downtown LA.

After going to Downtown LA, my Dad and I would make our way back to our hotel by LAX.

I had been in contact with another DISer (@dina444444) for a while saying that I was coming out to California. We eventually found out that I would be staying very close to her at the start of our trip, so I would have a DIS Meet this evening.

We would end up going to one of my favorite places to eat in Southern California. That is the California Fish Grill. It is more of a quick service fish restaurant. However, the prices are really good for it being fish. She would then take me on a tour of the south bay area of Southern California. I found this to be neat since I had never travelled into this part of town. The only time I would ever come out that way was to go to the airport. We would eventually head back to my hotel, but I had one request…a stop at Jamba Juice. :D

It was nice to see a friend that I have met on these boards once again, but that wouldn’t be the last time I would see her on this trip.

DAY 4:

So, my Dad and I had a couple things happening on this day. We would have to go back to LA, but we were also checking out of our hotel near LAX. So, we had an early morning wake up call to pack, and we were on the road into the LA traffic!

After another day in Downtown LA, we would get on the 5 freeway and make our way to Anaheim!

I really hate LA traffic (if you haven’t guessed that by now).

We would eventually arrive at our next hotel on our trip! That hotel is the Embassy Suites Anaheim South. It is within close proximity to Disneyland, so that would be perfect for the first couple days of my Disneyland stay.

After checking in, we would make our way to Downtown Disney. That is because we were meeting a good friend of mine and his family for dinner.

They had requested to eat at Rainforest Cafe since it was my friend’s birthday. It would be nice to eat here one more time before it closed.

We would eventually find our friends since they were already seated. My Dad and I were actually running late (thanks LA traffic). It wasn’t much of a problem though.

As we were seated, I overheard our waiter talking to our friends about the restaurant closing. He said that the Rainforest Cafe is going to come back after the hotel is built (but I have speculation that this isn’t true).

One of the first things I noticed is how the tables looked. I really didn’t care for the designs. It honestly looked strange.

I would end up getting a chicken sandwich and fries. This was so overpriced, it was outrageous. This was literally a basic chicken sandwich but cost more than $20. I think everything on the menu was overpriced.

For my friends Birthday, his family would order him the Volcano!

Here are some decorations in the restaurant.

I would avoid eating at the Rainforest Cafe if at all possible. There are much better options to eat at in Downtown Disney than the Rainforest Cafe.

We would finish our meal, and we would then start making our way towards the Esplanade. We left the restaurant about 10 minutes before the Remember…Dreams Come True fireworks show was about to start at Disneyland.

This is when you know you are a Disney fan…

We were walking by World of Disney when the fireworks started (so probably a minute from the Esplanade). I look to my left along with everyone, and I start enjoying the fireworks. Very quickly, I start to realize that the starting firework sequence is NOT the firework sequence for Remember…Dreams Come True. Yeah…I might have seen that show way to many times to know that it wasn’t being played. I quickly message a couple DISers asking if they had any word if Together Forever (the new PIXAR firework show was previewing on this evening). I got a couple responses of “Yes,” and I then booked it to the Esplanade.

I walked up to the exit gates, and I was able to see some of the projections on Main Street which then confirmed it to me that the show was previewing this evening.

I believe this was also the first preview of the show.

Enjoy some pictures of Together Forever from the Esplanade:

After the show, my Dad and I would say farewell to our friends, and we would make our way to the new hotel that we checked into. My Disneyland days would begin the next day!

Stay tuned for the beginning of my Disneyland updates!

I've never attended a MLS game before, but it sounds like you had fun :) Glad your team won and you made it out alive!!

We have two Rainforest Cafe restaurants near Chicago, so we've been there a lot of times--usually at my 8 year old's request. He loves it there! I have to agree the menu is overpriced. I don't mind it once in awhile, but I would never waste a Disney meal eating there!

We would eventually arrive in Downtown LA, and I forget how tall many of these buildings actually are. For as long as I lived in California, my family would never go to Downtown LA. I think I could count on two hands how many times I have actually been inside Downtown LA.

Didn't realize you had to come downtown - you probably drove right by my building plenty of times!

I would avoid eating at the Rainforest Cafe if at all possible. There are much better options to eat at in Downtown Disney than the Rainforest Cafe.
Agreed! I'm not going to miss it!

I've never attended a MLS game before, but it sounds like you had fun :) Glad your team won and you made it out alive!!

We have two Rainforest Cafe restaurants near Chicago, so we've been there a lot of times--usually at my 8 year old's request. He loves it there! I have to agree the menu is overpriced. I don't mind it once in awhile, but I would never waste a Disney meal eating there!
The games are a lot of fun especially if your city rallies around the team. For example...Kansas City has been nicknamed the "Soccer Capital of America" and we have had 100+ straight sell-outs at our stadium. It makes it for a fun evening with an amazing atmosphere. It also helps when your team is consistently good as well. :D

I see the appeal for families with younger kids. I remember when I was a kid, I always loved going there. It seemed that most of the group I was with just thought the food was average.

Didn't realize you had to come downtown - you probably drove right by my building plenty of times!

Agreed! I'm not going to miss it!
That's exciting!

I might miss the ESPN Zone. I'm still a little upset that I never made it there this trip, but it's ok. :D

You're having my husband's dream trip! He'd love to see both a baseball game and a soccer game while we're there. We're planning on an Angel's game though since they will be playing the As then too, and he's an As fan. I agree about Rainforest, it's not bad, but overpriced. Most things in DD are overpriced, but some are definitely more worth it! Looking forward to the rest of your report.

You're having my husband's dream trip! He'd love to see both a baseball game and a soccer game while we're there. We're planning on an Angel's game though since they will be playing the As then too, and he's an As fan. I agree about Rainforest, it's not bad, but overpriced. Most things in DD are overpriced, but some are definitely more worth it! Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Thank you!...It was great seeing my favorite teams when I was in California. I was able to see one more of my favorite teams while we were there, but I will get into that more when I reach the day in my trip report. I hope you enjoy the Angels/A's game! Angel Stadium is one of my favorite baseball stadiums, but I might be a little biased lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter