"When I went it was all lights, and music, and Mickey doin' his magic." — Aug. '18 Disneyversary TR — Completed (Finally!!) August 20, 2021

So excited for a new trip report!! I agree with what DizzyDis said. When I heard about Illuminations, you're the first person I thought of. I'm so glad it holds such a special place in your heart with your wedding and whatnot. I agree though, whatever they replace it with will be amazing!

So exciting!!

Edit:: Just realized I posted twice on accident. Can't figure out how to delete so pretend this is me just not being able to contain how excited I am for your TR. :D :rotfl2:

Joining in. We just got back from Disney on Tuesday and I am trying to catch up here on the boards. We have lots of sweaty pictures too lol. Our first week it was a little cooler but our second week I don't think my hair was ever dry lol.

Jumping in. I gotta admit, I just binged your whole wedding TR in about 3 days (between a sick kiddo and a dead office it kept me smiling!) and was happy to see you had more TRs to start now popcorn:: Your reference to your Gilmore Girls writing is spot on, which is probably why I am loving your style!!!

Yay! A new report to keep me company at work. Er ... I mean, a new way to keep up with Dis friends solely on my own time, of course. ;-)
Happy anniversary!

I'm here!!!!!!!!!! Still bummed we missed you, but since your trip report doesn't reference sickness I'm gonna presume most of it turned out ok :-)

Oh, wow! Look how many of you are here already! Welcome, friends! We're going to have so much fun!!

LobBdHA.gif

Without further delay, let's begin...

Everyone's Favourite Chapter
Aug. 15

Travel days are always everyone's favourites to read about (and write about,) amirite?? *crickets* *one lone cough* ...Okay! So I'll try my best to get through this as painlessly as possible...

Prior to travelling to WDW, we had spent the previous weekend in Boston at a comic convention for N's work. Then we drove back to Maine and spent a bit of time with my grandmother at her camper which she parks seasonally at a campground. On August 15th, we flew out of Bangor, Maine, and into Sanford, Florida.

If you've followed my reports before, you'll know that I do not enjoy flying. I get motion sick, and I find flying uncomfortable due to some of my neuro symptoms. Also...I'm a big baby. I sent my mom this photo from the airport to show her how excited I was to be getting on a plane...

qbgyFht.jpg

The flight was relatively uneventful, however, and soon enough we were arriving at the airport in Sanford. We had pre-booked a rental car, so I went to get that sorted out while N waited for the bags.

nVUAX5E.jpg

I finished up with Enterprise before the bags even came out, so I joined N at the carousel, we waited for our bags, and then took them out to collect the car...a Nissan...Versa? I think Versa.

DxFV4NO.jpg

It looked mostly fine, except for a few minor scratches, and one place where the plastic along the inside of the door was coming loose. Otherwise, it got us exactly where we needed to go. No major concerns.

I was feeling pretty wiped out from the medication I'd taken for the flight, so N was happy to drive. He typically does most of the driving on our trips anyway. I requested that he make a couple of stops on the way to the timeshare: Walmart and/or somewhere to get groceries...and Character Warehouse!

I'd been told a couple of weeks earlier that the Orange Bird Dooney and Bourke bag I'd been coveting had shown up at the CW on Vineland. This was actually anxiety-provoking news, because I anticipated that they'd be all gone by the time that we arrived. (Things can move quickly there sometimes.) Beyond that, I wondered if they'd gone to CW because they were going to stop selling them on property/online, and if I might miss purchasing one altogether! You can imagine my surprise and relief when we got there, and I was able to pick myself up this beauty:

vMAjd9t.jpg

It's sooo pretty!! .....And I love it even more because it was a full 50% off!!

Q3k7LPT.gif

I also got a great Grand Floridian pin to add to my growing pin collection, which was exciting because I like to try to pick up a resort pin for each resort we stay at, and we'd be heading to the GF for the second half of our trip.

6hZKpB5.jpg

We also found a couple of little odds and ends, and a t-shirt for my little niece (who's about to turn one next week!)

Before too long we'd arrived at the timeshare, the Holiday Inn Orange Lake. We've always had good experiences staying here on my grandmother's points, and we find the accommodations super roomy and clean. They never seem particularly pushy when we're there either, but this may just be because my grandmother is already an owner. We had a one-bedroom suite, and it was super large, with a full bathroom, full kitchen, screened-in deck, and living room with a pull-out couch. Here are a few photos. (Sorry for the terrible lighting, but the suite didn't get a ton of natural light....and I also hadn't opened the curtains. #facepalm)

mXmWDjs.jpg

S65A0wq.jpg

WM32F61.jpg

ff11Y5o.jpg

wXYgxht.jpg

P1G4kjs.jpg

Before long, it was almost time for the ADR I'd booked for the evening. We were on our way, and I was taking the first of many WDW sign pictures...

gg78Cj4.jpg

Then another arch to drive under...

3GFsXJs.jpg

We were going to Wilderness Lodge to eat at Artist Point!! I'd heard the rumours that this restaurant was going to be undergoing some changes—what we now know to be the Snow White character meal thing—and I wanted to make sure we got a chance to go back there since we'd enjoyed it so much on our last visit. I knew we would have had a tiring day of travelling, however, and that we were in for a SERIOUS trip of eating ALL the things, so we planned to just order appetizers and desserts. Our server only looked slightly miffed when I told him that.

N got the cheese board and accompaniments. He loved this and was in heaven...that is, if heaven is bursting with thoughtfully-paired flavours.

lfQDZcT.jpg

I got the mussels. These were quite tasty, and cooked very well. They were, however, disappointing compared to the muscles I'd enjoyed here the last time. The last time, the chef came to the table to talk with me about allergies, and he was super motivated to make me something special to accommodate my dietary restrictions. The mussels ended up being in a really bright lemony broth, which was great because I love cooking with lemon juice. This time, however, they just left the alcohol and other offending ingredients out of the normal dish, which is in a tomato-based broth. Still good. Yeah. Still good.

OfAd7sF.jpg

Oh, and here's a downright terrible photo of the complimentary celebratory champagne we received for our anniversary before I could tell the server that I can't drink alcohol. Whoops. More for N!

jI4GupR.jpg

For dessert, N got the Dark Chocolate Cremeux (at least I think that's what this was...I definitely remember the "chocolate soup" element being a thing.) He reported that it looked pretty terrible in terms of presentation, but was yummy and very rich.

ZmHaPZn.jpg

I only had one option on the menu for dessert, but fortunately it was exactly what I wanted: the allergy-friendly version of their berry cobbler. This is gluten free, and it's topped with fresh berries and a berry sorbet (rather than ice cream, to keep it dairy free.)

3A05Zgq.jpg

Aimq06R.jpg

This was the perfect way to ease us into what was expected to be a jam-packed and exciting trip, and also a perfect excuse to visit one of our favourite resorts. Our next morning was going to come early, though....and I mean EARLY.

Jlyykep.gif

So we headed straight back to the timeshare after dessert and got settled in there. We set out clothes and went over the plan of attack for when we would wake up just a few short hours later. And then we were out.

YYQX0Rh.gif

Thanks so much for making it through this first day with me! I'll try to return soon with my next update, because the fun is about to begin!!

Last edited:
Still bummed we missed you, but since your trip report doesn't reference sickness I'm gonna presume most of it turned out ok :-)

Uggh....it was so gross. But, I mean, it was a cold. Could have been much worse! We ended up having to cancel our plans of going to Sea World so I could nap and watch cartoons for half the day, but otherwise it didn't interfere too much in the grand scheme of things. And it didn't last as long as my typical colds would, so by the time we left WDW I was mostly back to my normal state of health. I'm sorry that we missed you, too!

Every time I saw an orange bird item this trip I thought about you!

I’m glad you were able to get the purse you wanted and on clearance!!

The time share resort looks very nice!

We never tried AP, I am excited about the new character meal, will have to try it.

Uh oh! Grumpy face! LOL!

Cute! I"ve never caved to a Dooney, but this one is sweet.
I like to try to pick up a resort pin for each resort we stay at, and we'd be heading to the GF for the second half of our trip.

I try to get a pin or two every trip- something that symbolizes something special from that trip or a memory or such, but I do like the idea of a "something" from each resort but am leaning to mugs now. Probably going to start this trip in fact. :)

so we planned to just order appetizers and desserts.

I think it's actually a good idea more than just occasionally.

that is, if heaven is bursting with thoughtfully-paired flavours.

I assure you it is!! (at least I really hope so!)

Still good. Yeah. Still good.

....but not great. ??
He reported that it looked pretty terrible in terms of presentation, but was yummy and very rich.

Yeah, the presentation isn't amazing, but I'm sure the taste was fantastic!

I'd been told a couple of weeks earlier that the Orange Bird Dooney and Bourke bag I'd been coveting had shown up at the CW on Vineland. This was actually anxiety-provoking news, because I anticipated that they'd be all gone by the time that we arrived. (Things can move quickly there sometimes.) Beyond that, I wondered if they'd gone to CW because they were going to stop selling them on property/online, and if I might miss purchasing one altogether! You can imagine my surprise and relief when we got there, and I was able to pick myself up this beauty:
Wow, great that you were able to find it, and good you got it when you did. I was at Character Warehouse on Vineland about a week after and I don't think these purses were there. We probably would have noticed it because my wife had been looking for a new purse (she has a Dooney & Bourke one now but it's 4 years old). She never did find one she liked enough to cough of the full price. Half price was a great deal!

I got the muscles. These were quite tasty, and cooked very well. They were, however, disappointing compared to the muscles I'd enjoyed here the last time.
I have a confession...I'm a bad East Coaster. I don't like shellfish. And I don't often eat any kind of fish. Too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as your previous visit.

Yay for Character Warehouse shopping!! That definitely makes a travel day exciting :)

We've never eaten at Artist Point, but I'm pretty excited about the snow White experience with my fingers crossed that Dopey will be joining her :)

You started this two weeks ago? How the heck have I missed this...and now, here I am showing up all the way on page 3! I am a bad DISer...will work on that.

So glad to be able to read along on this report...I loved your wedding one! And your others in progress!

Can't wait for more!

Everyone's Favourite Chapter

:laughing:

Travel days are always everyone's favourites to read about (and write about,) amirite?? *crickets* *one lone cough*

Hello?
Hello?

Echo...

echo...

echo...

Uh, oh. Someone looks less than thrilled.

a Nissan...Versa? I think Versa.

Not an Altima maybe? Not sure.

I'd been told a couple of weeks earlier that the Orange Bird Dooney and Bourke bag I'd been coveting had shown up at the CW on Vineland. This was actually anxiety-provoking news, because I anticipated that they'd be all gone by the time that we arrived.

Relax. I'm positive you'll get it.

See? You can always trust me.
(Cute bag, too. :))

We had a one-bedroom suite, and it was super large, with a full bathroom, full kitchen, screened-in deck, and living room with a pull-out couch. Here are a few photos.

Nice digs!

We were going to Wilderness Lodge to eat at Artist Point!!

Nice!

I'd heard the rumours that this restaurant was going to be undergoing some changes—what we now know to be the Snow White character meal thing

Shame, really.

Really.

Whoa, that looks good!

I got the muscles.

So you could strong-arm the server?

I love cooking with lemon juice.

Me too.
But my kids aren't fans, so... I don't do it often.

Oh, and here's a downright terrible photo of the complimentary celebratory champagne we received for our anniversary before I could tell the server that I can't drink alcohol. Whoops. More for N!

:laughing: Someone's gonna get tipsy!

He reported that it looked pretty terrible in terms of presentation, but was yummy and very rich.

The presentation does leave something to be desired.

I only had one option on the menu for dessert, but fortunately it was exactly what I wanted: the allergy-friendly version of their berry cobbler. This is gluten free, and it's topped with fresh berries and a berry sorbet (rather than ice cream, to keep it dairy free.)

mmmm…. that looks much better.

Coming back for quotes later, but just had to reply to this! I specifically wrote it this way (again!) in the hopes that you'd catch it!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

7ai6XoC.jpg
:lmao:
And.... I almost didn't comment. You've done that before and... I didn't want to embarrass you.
When I point out a typo (only in fun, never because I care. I ain't the grammer poleeze.) I never want anyone to feel like I'm making fun of them.
I decided to go out on a limb...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!