When does it make sense to buy HHI or Vero Beach?

Availability never seems like it’s bad enough at HH or Vero where I feel like I have to own there. I might not get the exact room preference I want, but at 7 months there’s usually always something “close enough”. With how far points go at those resorts, I’d rather spend a couple extra on a 2 bedroom instead of a 1 bedroom, and not have to worry about the insane dues.

VB is going ~$50pp resale now. 100pt contract for $5k lol. Price has dropped since dues nearing $14pp.

Shoot, there’s a 30pt asking $45 around $1k. Again, that is going back to the dues, which 2024’s $13.86 is near the price we’re paying dues AND buy-in for our VGF direct along with some TVM.

But I also think VB can still work in very specific cases. If somebody wants to stay there on a regular basis for the next 15 years, does not want to pay much cash upfront, and have nearly 100% worry-free booking? Those rooms are still reasonably priced between the cost and point chart. Not buying risks cash rates get crazy. Buying risks dues getting even more crazy.

I guess if you want the 11 month window and home ownership at either....

Personally I think there are so many better options in HHI than Disney, but I have also personally not stayed at Disney's HHI, just have been to HHI.

Vero Beach, despite the poor mattresses, is an amazing resort, and a great place to unwind and relax. Great dining options, excellent cast members, it really does a lot of great things and is a great way to spend the time. The dues are high though, and unless you need a beach cottage, are easy to get at the 7 month window - even at peak times. I feel like buying another resort and using the points at VB is a better way to go.

Can you say which options you consider better at HHI? Owner of a small contract at DHHIR, but open to staying at other resorts on HHI. The older I get, the less excited I get at driving on down to Disney/Lake Buena Vista.

We bought HHI at the beginning. Have added on several times, currently more than 1200 points.

Extended family vacations in 3 BR are summer favorite. I think my grands would rather fish and crab off the pier than run the gauntlet that WDW parks have become. SIL loves the golf.

We have also used HHI points for 2-3 week stays at VB in Jan/Feb - usually just 1 BR.

I understand Disney did not do as well building DVC "outside the parks bubble" but I wish someone with vision could have seen the value of a network of beach-based locations -Sarasota, Venice area, West Palm, etc. We would snow-bird in one every Jan/Feb.

Can you say which options you consider better at HHI? Owner of a small contract at DHHIR, but open to staying at other resorts on HHI. The older I get, the less excited I get at driving on down to Disney/Lake Buena Vista.
Westin HHI, Marriott Barony Beach Club both come to mind.

We bought HHI at the beginning. Have added on several times, currently more than 1200 points.

Extended family vacations in 3 BR are summer favorite. I think my grands would rather fish and crab off the pier than run the gauntlet that WDW parks have become. SIL loves the golf.

We have also used HHI points for 2-3 week stays at VB in Jan/Feb - usually just 1 BR.

I understand Disney did not do as well building DVC "outside the parks bubble" but I wish someone with vision could have seen the value of a network of beach-based locations -Sarasota, Venice area, West Palm, etc. We would snow-bird in one every Jan/Feb.
I too wish that.... If all the cancelled DVC projects had happened it would have been great. Newport Coast Villas, NYC, Colorado ski, Maryland, would have made for a really nice network... At least we were able to get Hawaii....

Has anyone done a full NPV calculation for all the resorts and ranked them? Too much math for me personally lol
The below NPV comparison is based on an SAP rental rate of $21/pt, 3.8% inflation, 10% discount rate, and 5% savings on dues from gift cards. I use Profit Index in lieu of NPV since it contemplates the return on your initial investment. As you see, Vero is mid-pack. Some of these prices may be slightly out-of-date (I ran this a couple of weeks ago).

RankResortResale Price/PtNPVProfit Index
1Saratoga Springs$90$7786%
2Animal Kingdom$90$7078%
3Hilton Head$55$4174%
4Aulani$95$5760%
5Bay Lake Tower$117$7160%
6Old Key West$70$4260%
7Aulani Subsidized$120$7058%
8Copper Creek$130$6147%
9Vero Beach$47$2247%
10Old Key West (Extended)$109$4339%
11Polynesian$139$4935%
12Boulder Ridge$100$2727%
13Grand Floridian$155$4227%
14Beach Club$108$2019%
15Boardwalk$108$2018%
16Riviera$175 (Direct)$106%
17Grand Californian$263-$75-29%
18Disneyland Hotel$163 (Direct)-$73-34%

Last edited:
The below NPV comparison is based on an SAP rental rate of $21/pt, 3.8% inflation, 10% discount rate, and 5% savings on dues from gift cards. I use Profit Index in lieu of NPV since it contemplates the return on your initial investment. As you see, Vero is mid-pack. Some of these prices may be slightly out-of-date (I ran this a couple of weeks ago).

2Animal Kingdom$90$7078%
3Hilton Head$55$4174%
4Aulani$95$5760%
6Old Key West$70$4260%
8Copper Creek$130$6147%
9Vero Beach$47$2247%
11Polynesian$139$4935%
14Beach Club$108$2019%
15Boardwalk$108$2018%

Thanks for putting that together! The two that I would go for out of those would be AKV and BLT. Towards the top of the pack, and at WDW resorts so you don't even have to depend on SAP if 7 month availability gets hairy. They can rent well themselves due to location (BLT) and theme (AKV). Also they are both due for a reburb soon so the prices may go up for a bit after that. Luckily I already have these two myself! I also have boardwalk though, which is towards the bottom. But I got it for a good price at $99/pt and I don't really plan on renting them out. Those I will use first myself or use for friends/family and rent the others out.

Alternatively SSR looks good since it's also at WDW and at the top, as long as you like the location or at least wouldn't mind staying at SSR if nothing else is available at 7 months.

Looks like HHI would be the best if you want any beach resort, unless you love or are near Vero, or you love Aulani. Personally I would get Aulani resale out of the beach resorts, just due to expiration, theming, and location.

Last edited:

2Animal Kingdom$90$7078%
3Hilton Head$55$4174%
4Aulani$95$5760%
6Old Key West$70$4260%
8Copper Creek$130$6147%
9Vero Beach$47$2247%
11Polynesian$139$4935%
14Beach Club$108$2019%
15Boardwalk$108$2018%
This is great. My big concern would be using the same inflation assumptions for VB and HHI as the WDW resorts; I get why you would do that, but I think reality is a much higher rate of dues inflation at the beach resorts moving forward.

We bought a 40pt VB contract that we use to stay a week in a studio at Aulani every 3 years. We wanted a small contract and at the time it was available and dirt cheap. We use our "primary" OKW contract for our WDW/DL visits. I don't regret buying there even though I've never been there. Considering how much the rack rates are at Aulani, the initial buy in was covered on the first visit.

Very stupid question since I don't stay on top of resale/DVC rules new restrictions as much as I should. My original contracts were purchased long before 2011 and I have been grandfathered, and we haven't really been interested in any new points at the moment, but if you buy HHI or VB today (resale), are you not allowed to book at 7 months into the original 14, like OKW or BWV, etc?

Very stupid question since I don't stay on top of resale/DVC rules new restrictions as much as I should. My original contracts were purchased long before 2011 and I have been grandfathered, and we haven't really been interested in any new points at the moment, but if you buy HHI or VB today (resale), are you not allowed to book at 7 months into the original 14, like OKW or BWV, etc?
If you buy resale HHI or VB today, you have access to the O14.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter