Wheelchairs on buses

LisaBi

DIS Veteran
The thread on illness while at WDW on the other board mentioned wheelchairs, and made me think about this issue. My son has Down Syndrome, and last time we were at WDW we borrowed a wheelchair at the resort for the week. It was so much better than having to rent at the parks - not just because of the money, but on our previous trip, he sometimes barely made it to the wheelchair rental location (I'm thinking mostly about from the monorail at Epcot, into the park, and over to the rental location).

Anyway, I was always unsure of what to do on busses. Because it takes so long to tie down a wheelchair, and my son can walk onto the bus with just minimal assistance, I chose to always have him walk onto the bus, and I folded the chair. This took much less time than tying down the chair (i.e. - less time for everyone else to wait to get on the bus), took up less seats, and left space where another wheelchair or ECV could be tied down if there was someone else who needing the space who couldn't transfer.

Many of the bus queues are too narrow for a wheelchair, and CM's always instructed to wait to the side of the queue regardless. Well, the driver always stopped and loaded all the ECV's and wheelchairs first. I felt like some drivers and lots of guests where angry that we use the wheelchair "line" and got on the bus first "because - look - that kid can walk." Sometimes I felt like I should have folded up the wheelchair and make DS walk/stand waiting for the bus. (But if the wait was too long, he would have ended up sitting on the pavement, then refused to move when the line did move, and everyone would be going around us.)

Thoughts? What would you do? I plan to go back again in September, and sure would like to be more comfortable about it!

Thanks,
LisaB

I think what you are doing makes sense and is perfectly fine. You should be in the wheelchair area. Carting the heavy wheelchair thru the regular line makes no sense and you should be able to bring it in thru the back door (because of weight and bulk, if nothing else).
Your son has an invisible mobility disability, but he also has a very visible disability (Downs). It's not your fault/problem that many lay people don't understand that along with the visible things that are associated with Downs, there is also the possibility of invisible things related to the heart, joints and muscle tone that often affect the ability to stand and/or walk for long periods.
:grouphug:

We stayed at OKW last week. I rented an ECV. I had no problems using the busses every day - we usually went to two parks each day - so four one way trips each day. I found the bus drivers to be VERY helpful & VERY friendly. None of the bus drivers ever made me feel bad about using the handicapped entrance (the back door). Most were of the opinion that he rest of the guests have to be patient! So for your trip, you need to do what works for you & your son, & not worry about what other guests might think! HAve fun!

Thanks Sue. I think one of the issues is that he has lots of physical energy in short bursts. So someone may see him running and jumping (OK - his slightly off-kilter version) one minute, and sitting in the wheelchair the next. We find that about 5 minutes of running around is his limit. Then he SITS. Right there. Where-ever that may be! Waiting for the bus in the wheelchair he gets board, and maybe wants to play a bit. Then he gets tired and wants to sit. And standing still just doesn't happen - it's either full motion or sitting! We finally resorted to special olympics ball for that reason. They don't care if he sits down in the outfield. The 'normal' teams get irritated.

I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but it does bother me that people think I am taking advantage. Connor's Downs isn't real obvious to the average person - his facial features are very "mild." He is also bald (Alopecia) and wear's thick glasses, both of which result in "hiding" the Down's features.

Thanks,
Lisa

The bus drivers are great - and most people do NOT judge. If they are judging, then we shouldn't care about their opinion anyway since they are totally clueless about life and the challenges some people have to face. One must always assume that even if someone doesn't appear handicapped, doesn't mean they aren't. (as noted by Sue M)

Practice makes perfect - eventually you will not care what people think - because the drivers and most of the guests will make you feel very comfortable about the whole thing.

As a bus driver, here's my two cents. Wait in the special queue area for those using wheelchairs. Even if he can walk right onto the bus, he'll require a seat on the bus... If any guests have any problems with it, too bad. Your son is the priority, bottom line.

As for drivers, I don't think I know a driver who would ever think that just because someone can transfer out of a wheelchair to a regular seat that they should wait in line like everyone else. It's actually quite common that we have guests (usually elderly, or kids/teens with broken feet) transfer from the wheelchair to a seat. We have absolutly no problems securing the wheelchair down, but of course, if they wish to transfer, it makes our job easier and quicker.

LisaBi said:
I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but it does bother me that people think I am taking advantage.

I just spoke about this on another thread and totally agree. It is easier to say than to feel however. Last May we stayed entirely onsite and used only Disney transportation for the entire week. We always waited over to the side and MANY people were short with us when they a) thought we were cutting line, and b) hated that as soon as the driver saw us, he loaded me and my family first. They forget however that when the bus stops at it's destination they all just jump up and exit the bus heading on their merry way to the park or whatever, while it took us a good 5 mins to unlock my chair, lower the ramp, load me back in, etc. There were a total of 7 of us and we all had our jobs down pat that would minimize everyone's wait time and my family would stand many times (even though being first on they could have gotten a seat) to allow someone who needed a seat more the chance to sit. I try to just not worry about what people are saying or thinking, but sometimes it does get to me.

I wil also add that the drivers were ALWAYS wonderful and I never felt they were frustrated or impatient with me, quite the opposite actually. Many commented how cute and sweet my DD was as she loved to meet the bus and say, "we have a wheelchair person" - lol!
Lisa
Tiger Fan

We were there last week and definitely got the "look". However, we also got it one day from a driver. My DH's ECV is an older model, new one arrives this week, and won't fit on the older busses. If I saw an older bus arrive I would go up front and politely inform the driver that we needed an kneeling bus and would they please call in for one for us. Got the same response that this would take a while but we didn't mind.
One day we got to the bus stop and the perfect bus was there but was already loading. I asked the driver, after the bus was loaded, if she was coming back. She said she would but would load him in right then. I explained that my DH didn't want to upset anyone or possibly run over anyone's feet and would gladly wait for the next bus. She said "Why the next bus will have people on it anyway". But we smiled nicely and sent her on her way. Anyway, since it was AKL and we were going to AK the bus arrived back in about 5 minutes. She boarded my DH into the spot and then went to open the doors for other people waiting. I asked her if she was going to strap in him AT ALL and she said that each driver has their own right to board anyway they want. She didn't see why "Everyone else has to wait outside while you're in here." Direct Quote!!!! Okay, this had me steaming. My DH didn't ask to use the ECV, he has too. She then had to fight a fully loaded bus to strap down his ECV and then had to fight her way back to the front. People were standing, with strollers, etc.
I have NEVER complained about a driver before but her other comments definitely made my DH feel as if he was a burden to the other guests.
Later in the day when we were waiting for another kneeling bus at AK, a superviser approached us and was chatting with us. Again, we had moved away from the que area and were sitting on a bench next to my DH. I explained my situation, since he was standing there, and he asked if I had a driver's name and bus number. Didn't remember the bus number but she had a very distinctive name. Apparently this individual worked directly for him and he was extremely agitated over it.
So my advice, sorry for the rant, is to do what you feel is best for your situation and if you get garbage from the others, ignore them. If a bus driver gives you the same attitude, take the name and bus number and report them. The supervisor did mention that the driver would probably not be around much longer.

Indeed, such actions by a driver would not be tolerated.

To clarify some terminology (sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine) -- a "kneeling" bus is any bus that can let the air out of its airbags to reduce the initial step into the bus. All of our buses, including the older RTS buses, are capable of kneeling. The bus that you are referring to is a "low-floor" bus. Those buses are also capable of kneeling and tilting to reduce the ramp angle and boarding step.

Did you try the ECV in the RTS? In recent years, 95% of the lifts in the older RTS buses have been replaced by new larger lifts that can accomodate larger ECVs. The older lifts can be recognized by a fold out silver flap. The new lifts can be recognized by two large handrails on the lift platform itself.

Tyler you are so kind.

Mother has to have a wheelchair for the last few years - around 10 years ago - only a few of the bus drivers really knew how to make the machine work...

Anyway after a horrible trip - that really started my back problems - trying taking a wheelchair up and down steps without any help from the driver. Well this time I had enough.

I came home and wrote a letter to WDW - telling them that they needed to train all the drivers on this equipment. I never heard back (this is not the way that WDW handles problems).

the next time we came to WDW- WOW!!!! what a difference!!!

Tyler you don't know how much I appreciate drivers (and now all the bus drivers do this) help...

If mother even tried to get out of the wheelchair she could fall and break something. She can only walk a small distance without getting out of breath.

but believe me - she and I appreciate the bus drivers at WDW and really, really appreciate all the help they are with wheelchairs.

I know this is a big pain for you and the other drivers. but without the wheelchair mother would have had stop coming to WDW long ago.

Yes, other people can be a pain - but most of the time they are understanding - wheelchairs will be in most people lives. If we live long enough.

spiceycat said:
I know this is a big pain for you and the other drivers. but without the wheelchair mother would have had stop coming to WDW long ago.

Don't EVER think that spending extra time boarding and making sure that a mobility device is secured down is a "pain." Rather, it is our PLEASURE to be able to help folks have a worry-free vacation.

I will admit, that our grey straps are a challenge to use, but that is the fault of the straps design, and NOT of the guests using a mobility device. If ever a driver seems frustrated, it is at the straps and not the guests. Thankfully, the grey straps are 99% gone!

Thanks for the clarification Tyler. I understand about pet peeves. I have many!! :flower:
Its the newer buses with the ramps I was referring to. I think they are the Novas and the Gillys (?). I called them kneeling buses because they look like they kneel on the ground. The space for his ECV is larger. His ECV was souped up by the previous owner and has the seat from a conversion van. This seat makes the entire scooter too long for the spot on the older buses, or at least it used to.
We love going to Disney and the wonderful drivers make it worth the trip everytime.
In fact we love it so much we just became DVC members on this last trip!
Thanks posting on the board. It really helps! :)

Yes, the Nova's and the Gilligs are the low-floor buses that tilt/kneel with the ramp. Ahh yes, the extra seat might prove to be a problem with the lifts, even on the larger ones. Not just that, but the securement area is a bit smaller, too.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
Don't EVER think that spending extra time boarding and making sure that a mobility device is secured down is a "pain." Rather, it is our PLEASURE to be able to help folks have a worry-free vacation.

I will admit, that our grey straps are a challenge to use, but that is the fault of the straps design, and NOT of the guests using a mobility device. If ever a driver seems frustrated, it is at the straps and not the guests. Thankfully, the grey straps are 99% gone!
We have been lucky enough to mostly get good bus drivers in all our trips to WDW.
Sometimes those grey straps are a challenge because the previous user didn't put them away correctly. After a few times of that, the straps got quite tnagled.
The new straps are a lot better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter