• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

wheelchair lines - how does it work?

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
My mom might join us again this year to celebrate her birthday at WDW (she did that 3 years ago when she turned 75, and all the CMs were WONDERFUL).
This year however, she's just not going to be able to walk the way she did last time. I think that the best solution is to rent a wheelchair when we're in the parks.

So my question is regarding the wheelchair lines at the shows. I've really never paid much attention to them. For example, if we get into the wheelchair line for Festival of the Lion King, is it possible that we won't get into the next show? We always are able to get into the next show in the regular line, no matter how late we come (even one minute before the show). Is that also true in the wheelchair line? Or do you end up more often having to wait for the next show. If so, we'll have to change our planning, in terms of when we arrive in the line.

disneyholic family said:
...if we get into the wheelchair line for Festival of the Lion King, is it possible that we won't get into the next show? We always are able to get into the next show in the regular line, no matter how late we come (even one minute before the show). Is that also true in the wheelchair line? Or do you end up more often having to wait for the next show. If so, we'll have to change our planning, in terms of when we arrive in the line.

There seem to be alot of spaces for wheelchairs in the MGM Lion King show. I think that they have a four sided bleacher setup with wheelchair spaces in front of each one.

I really don't think that you should have a problem getting in.

But they do like to seat the wheelchair line first, before they let the walkers in. So if you get there late, you may not see anyone in the wheelchair line. I bet they could accommodate you if you showed up late.

I don't really know about the other shows because I always try to show up early.

Well, I do recall that at the MGM Fantasmic show that they do have a lot of wheelchair spaces all the way around the top of the seating areas. And more than once, I have seen all or the spaces fill up. I recall them placing the wheelchair in the standing room only which is not a good spot with everyone else standing. I wouldn't show up for Fantasmic late.

Good luck. Maybe you can go on days that it is not so crowded, or show up a little early instead of late. If she can get out of the wheelchair when she reaches the show, she can sit with the walkers or in the disability bleachers if the wheelchair section is filled up. A lot of times the Castmembers ask if the wheelchair person can walk in order to save the wheelchair space for someone who cannot get out of the wheelchair.

Sincerely, Ray

thanks.
Yes I've seen that, where people get up out of the wheelchairs. But i really don't think she'll be able to stand for all that long, or even walk all that far anymore. We'll of course take it easy on the days she joins us. She'll probably only come for her birthday and one or two more days. But we want to make sure she has a good time. She had a great time last time. The CMs were so nice to her (hugging her and kissing her when they wished her a happy birthday).

I guess we'll just make a point of getting into the lines early on those two days. I'm just the kind of person who hates standing in lines for shows. I'd rather show up at the last minute and get the worst seat in the house if I have to, rather than stand and wait for a good seat.

In almost 17 years of travel to WDW with a DD using a wheelchair, we've only not gotten into shows because all the wheelchair spots were filled a handful of times. That was all for theater shows like ITTBAB, American Adventure and Little Mermaid which have a fairly small number of wheelchair spots (Little Mermaid has 8, American Adventure used to only have about 8, but took seats out of the back row to accomidate more). For American Adventure, wheelchair/ecv users do need to ride an elevator up to get to the show area. If you are too late, there will not be enough time to get your party upstairs for the show, even if there are spots left. Getting there early usually gives you a chance to listen to the America vocal group, though, which is nice.

We have frequently seen wheelchair parties roll in at the last minute for both Lion King and Fantasmic. In fact, we got into Fantasmic one time as the lights were being turned off; we stayed in the park longer than we intended that day and decided 10-15 minutes before showtime to see if there were any spots left. We personally have not seen people in the standing room only area with wheelchairs or ecvs, but we are usually there at least an hour early, other than that one occasion.

But, if you want to make sure you have a spot, get there early. As soon as you get to the area, make sure a CM knows you need a wheelchair spot. For most show, that's the point at which they put wheelchair/ecv users in a separate waiting area/part of the line. They don't want more people waiting in line than there are wheelchair spots in the theater. For Fantasmic, they do start seating people about 1.5 hours before the show (only for the first show, if there are 2 shows). Once they have started letting people into the theater, you will not be waiting in line, they do "seat" wheelchair parties as they come into line. If you've been there before, you already know that there are restrooms and a snack bar inside the Fantasmic theater area. We have not had a problem with waiting, even though DD has Attention Deficit Disorder and obsessive/compulsive tendencies. The waiting time inside Fantasmic seems to go pretty fast.

Since there are limited numbers of wheelchair spots for these shows, whether they get filled up or not doesn't really depend on how busy the park is, but on how many people with wheelchairs/ecvs decide to go to the show. The wheelchair spots may be all filled up when the rest of the theater still has spots open or vice versa. If they are filled, do ask if she can sit in a seat and have the wheelchair folded and stowed somewhere or, can she be brought to the seat in the wheelchair, get out and then have the wheelchair taken for storage and brought back when she needs to leave.

We just traveled in May with an ECV in our party. We had no trouble with Beauty & the Beast, ITTBAB, Philharmagic, Lion King, Muppets, Shrunk the Audience, Indiana Jones, and you can even take it on Ellen's Energy! The CM's were very accomodating and we had a party of 9.
Have fun!
:earsgirl:

On rare occasions I have not gotten into a show because thre were no more spots but it is really rare.

well maybe the best thing would be to wait with her in the wheelchair, get her as close as possible so she doesn't have to walk too far, and then have her switch to a regular seat, so that we don't take the spot of someone who needs the wheelchair spot.

I'm sure we'll work it out.

disneyholic family said:
Yes I've seen that, where people get up out of the wheelchairs. But i really don't think she'll be able to stand for all that long, or even walk all that far anymore.

You might want to seriously consider renting a wheelchair for mom from a medical supply company outside of WDW. If mom cannot walk very far, then she might have problems even getting from your transportation (either your vehicle in the parking lot or WDW transportation) to the entrance of the park.

You don't mention where you will be staying. Sometimes the WDW resorts have a wheelchair they can loan you for the length of your stay.

disneyholic family said:
if we get into the wheelchair line for Festival of the Lion King, is it possible that we won't get into the next show?

I have not had a problem getting into The Festival of hte Lion King show. Those guests in the handicapped line are seated prior to the other guests. I use an ECV to get around WDW. At the Lion King show I park the ECV off to the side & then sit in a bleacher seat. That way guests like your mom can stay in their wheelchair.

Have fun celebrating mom's birthday & Happy Birthday to her!

That's true. I wasn't thinking about how far you have to walk to get to the entrance. We'll be parked right outside our villa, so that's not far, but it can be quite a walk from the car at the parks.

Although I think I can drop her and the family in the handicapped area and then go back and park in the regular area. But if memory serves, you still have a ways to go from the handicapped parking.

You're right. Probably the best thing is to have a wheelchair all the time.

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread in this board, you will find info on renting/borrowing wheelchairs and ecvs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter