What's your favorite Disney Good Neighbor hotel?

ThunderMountainAlice

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are traveling cross-country for the first time to make this Disneyland trip, so we are kind of blind to our options except what I can find on travel website reviews.
Has anyone stayed at a Good Neighbor hotel that they particularly enjoyed?
It's just the two of us, no kids, so we don't necessarily need the "Disney Magic" to follow us back to the hotel, but it would definitely be a bonus!
Wants are: clean, and close to the parks! We don't really care about crowds or noise. We just want to be near all the action!

Check out Google Map. The motels closest to the security checkpoints are located on Harbour Boulevard. The ones nearest the crosswalk have a 5 to 7 minute walk to the security checkpoint, depending on the pedestrian lights at the cross walk. You will get lots of opinions but you need to decide which takes priority for you

1. shortest walk to the security check point
  2. free shuttle to parks
  3. paid shuttle (local ART bus) to the parks
  4. cheapest nightly rate
  5. free breakfast
  6. parking rates
  7. indoor or outdoor corridors
  8. themed rooms
  9. use chain loyalty points to pay or part pay for room
  10. pool and other amenities
people usually rate the offsite hotels and motels according to the above list

does clean mean non-carpted floors, no dust bunnies under furniture or bed, no thick blankets or comforters, tile floors instead of linoleum floors, ?

Last edited:

Check out Google Map. The motels closest to the security checkpoints are located on Harbour Boulevard. The ones nearest the crosswalk have a 5 to 7 minute walk to the security checkpoint, depending on the pedestrian lights at the cross walk. You will get lots of opinions but you need to decide which takes priority for you

1. shortest walk to the security check point
  2. free shuttle to parks
  3. paid shuttle (local ART bus) to the parks
  4. cheapest nightly rate
  5. free breakfast
  6. parking rates
  7. indoor or outdoor corridors
  8. themed rooms
  9. use chain loyalty points to pay or part pay for room
  10. pool and other amenities
people usually rate the offsite hotels and motels according to the above list

Well, We will be flying into Anaheim, and taking a Lyft to wherever we are staying. Shuttle or walking distance to park are the #1. After that, nothing else matters except the rooms being not gritty. I'm okay with dated, and not cute. I just gotta have clean-ish sheets and a clean shower. I don't know the smoking laws in California, but non-smoking if that's a thing. I'm from Alabama so we are probably eons behind in that department. lol

We’ve stayed twice at The Anaheim Hotel. Clean rooms, newly renovated. Nothing fancy. Great location a block from gates. Nice grounds, huge pool and has Pizza Press restaurant off lobby. We request a balcony room. 1st floor patios look nice too, but I prefer upper floor in case there are jumping kids above me! Not all buildings have balcony so I make that my request.
Good customer service. First trip my AC and safe weren’t working. Guy came up within 5 min to fix.
It’s great being walking distance and not relying on shuttle.
Good rates.

Last edited:

We come from Ohio and have stayed the last five years at the Fairfield Inn. The FFI is on Harbor Blvd and is right across the street from DLR entrance. It's less than a 10 minute walk from the lobby to the park turnstile. In the past few years the FFI has been renovated and they got rid of carpeting and installed solid floors, it's a very clean hotel. The beds are medium-firm and very comfortable for us. Other points:

• McDonalds, Mimi's Café, and Panera Bread are in the connecting parking lot so you have fast access to food from your hotel room.
  • Bathroom with door is toilet and tub/shower while the vanity and sink are open to the room. This allows one person to shower (or use the toilet) in privacy while another can shave, do hair, or brush teeth. It's a nice perk and real timesaver!
  • Always had great customer service with hotel staff.
  • The FFI is near the end of the hotel stretch on the north side. There's more food and convenience stops between the hotel and park entrance, so stopping somewhere for milk or pop is a direct destination on the way home, no backtracking.
  • Never had a problem with Amazon shipping to the FFI.
  • Has a small fridge.
Forgot to add: We're two adults (47 and 63) who are like you, in that we don't need to pay extra for Disney Magic but want something clean and close to the parks.

Last edited:
clean-sh sheets voids motel 6, towels and sheets are worn, though you could probably go to the desk and request new sheets and towels. As for room clean, Motel 6 is far better than any carpeted room available.

There’s a search function at the top- there are so many posts on this that can help with your decision! Good luck!

Candy Cane Inn is our favorite and a DISboard favorite as well. Shuttle and walking distance. Very clean. Nice breakfast spread.

Just try to stay within a short walking distance to the park. That is the biggest part of having a good trip to Disneyland, that and getting a hotel you can reasonably afford. In general, try not to stay at hotels with shuttles but there are some exceptions to this. And definitely try to stay away from hotels on the ART bus route. Ideally you'll want to stay at a hotel south of the 5 freeway on S Harbor Blvd, down to the intersection of S. Harbor and W. Katella Rd and at hotels on Katella that are very close to Harbor blvd. Also when booking a hotel try to book directly with the hotel and avoid websites like travelocity. When you book direct you often get a better deal and you can cancel if you find a cheaper rate. And you should book as early as you can because prices usually go up the closer you get to your travel dates. Also packages at Disneyland are usually a bad deal so carefully consider what you are getting for your money if you are considering one.

Last edited:
We love the Tropicana. Newly renovated rooms and I like the price for being across the street. No breakfast but they do have a fridge and microwave ...and a little store up front.

Candy Cane is our favorite when not staying on property. Short walk (7-10 minutes) OR you can take their (very timely) free shuttle. Rooms are clean, staff is great, and they have free breakfast. :)

We've stayed at HOJO's, FFI, Tropicana, Grand Legacy, Camelot and Motel 6 Maingate. Obviously I'm not loyal...just choose whatever is best priced and close to crosswalk. Motel 6 was fine, but I would only choose it if others were too expensive. I've only stayed here on Veteran's day weekend/race weekend when everything else was 3 times normal price. The walk is a little far and the rooms seem really humid to me. HOJO's walk is also a little farther than the others.
That being said...I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of these again.
Good Luck!

Our favorite is Hojo on Harbor. It’s a hotel style so you get the benefit of interior corridors. The beds are amazing. Keurig coffee makers in room. The grounds are pretty and well cared for. Some rooms have a great view of the park. They’re known for their kids pool area but the normal pool is a nice size and we enjoy it! Nice onsite store. Friendly staff. Free parking. Less than a 10 minutes walk.

My in laws really like park vue inn for the location and breakfast. I’ve never tried it myself. We’ve been happy at Anaheim Desert Inn. Great location.

Another vote for the candy cane inn. My 2nd choice is the BW Park Place. I like the grounds and breakfast better at the CCI, but the BWPPI location can't be beat! I've stayed the Park Vue as well, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

I've only stayed at two hotels in the area that I wouldn't stay at again. There is a holiday inn on Walnut, that I wouldn't stay at again. The room was fine, but we felt the location was not easy to get to. And I think the other hotel is gone. We stayed there 2 years ago, and I cant find it on the map now and can't remember exactly what it was called.

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum, Hydroguy's tips compilation, specifically this one, Hydroguy's Hotel Rule: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
and this one, Choosing the Right DLR Hotel for You: http://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

As a DLR vet, I'm convinced of Hydroguy's rule of "stay within walking distance if at all possible." One of the modest hotels at the crosswalk is the absolute best-- you are so close to the action, and can run back to the hotel any time for a break as needed. No endless long lines waiting for shuttles or the ART, or long walks at the end of a long day.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter