• Keep pushing for the partial points refund

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Whine extensively on CC because DH is ignoring your angst

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bookbabe626

DIS Veteran
So, we showed up last night at BCV to no villa.

We'd booked a 1bdrm this week right at the 11 month mark. In fact, getting this week with home resort advantage is pretty much the whole reason we bought BCV. Sadly, initially we were offered a move to a BCV studio or a SSR 1 bdrm, with partial points back. They claim they'd tried to call but our number didn't work, even though I'd been getting "room not ready" texts at that number all day. Nothing anywhere other than SSR or OKW, and through negotiation we eventually ended up on with a regular king bed club level room at BCV, with a small credit to cover the cost of doing laundry and the wasted groceries.

I felt strongly that we really needed to be near Epcot, all our plans are there for the whole trip. DH cares less, although SAB is his favorite pool. I'm still wanting to push for partial points back since we didn't get even remotely what we'd booked.

I felt strongly that we really needed to be near Epcot, all our plans are there for the whole trip. DH cares less, although SAB is his favorite pool. I'm still wanting to push for partial points back since we didn't get even remotely what we'd booked.
I voted for the studio and points back for this. You get EPCOT, DH gets SAB and you get points back. The situation stinks but I hope you have a great trip!

So, how many are in your party? If it is just the 2 then I would sooooo be happy with the club level and small credit. We LOVE club level and try booking it any chance we can (AKV). And even just traded into the Disney regular rooms, paying the $95 fee, to get a club level room at Gran Destino. Took a lot of points for that and the fee but we, 50 year old couple, love love love to just chill in club level lounge. And you are at BC and close to Epcot with this option.

Now, if you have kids with you...I would maybe be more inclined to move to a 1BR somewhere and get some points back. Just to have privacy with sleeping. Heck maybe they'd put you in a 2BR somewhere...or a treehouse villa. If you have kids or others with the 2 of you.

Also adding that my gran destino is 50 points for Saturday night. For a club level room. Plus the 95$. BC is 68-72 a night for resort view club level. So it is a nice deal.

Doesn’t DVC need to keep 2% of rooms available in inventory for situations like this? Is that where they pulled the BCV studio from.

My question is why is the owner inconvenienced? Was there a cash reservation that could have been moved? I would want to know if a cash reservation was prioritized over the member?

I’m really trying to complain less these days but this would put me on a writing campaign to all DVC executives.

Just out of curiosity, what was the reason given for not having a 1-bedroom available, if that's what you booked a full 11 months out? I would be a bit taken aback if it happened to me - I could see if I had just booked something with little notice, or there was extensive construction at the resort where rooms might suddenly become unavailable, but seems unusual to just be told that what you booked 11 months out wasn't available anymore.

I probably would have taken another 1-bedroom - though I highly prize the Epcot access, in the end when I book a 1-bedroom it's usually because I need it, so a studio or standard hotel room won't do. I'd expect more than just points back though - would definitely expect some kind of credit as well.

Doesn’t DVC need to keep 2% of rooms available in inventory for situations like this? Is that where they pulled the BCV studio from.

My question is why is the owner inconvenienced? Was there a cash reservation that could have been moved? I would want to know if a cash reservation was prioritized over the member?

I’m really trying to complain less these days but this would put me on a writing campaign to all DVC executives.
Cash reservations will always be prioritized over points. Points are free to return. Cash is not free to refund.

Yikes! How disappointing. I completely understand the location being a big factor and the disappointment in general. I'd be pleased with club level and a small credit (vs. the original alternatives offered) but I'd keep pushing politely for some points back. Club level is amazing but it's not the same as the one bedroom and the communication on this seems pretty poor. And you booked 11 months ago!!! I get that unexpected things can happen and render the room unusable but the "your number wasn't working" excuse seems pretty thin. You didn't say (& you don't need to) but I'd probably factor in the demeanor of the manager offering me the alternatives -- if they seemed genuinely sorry and sincere in wanting to 'make it right' as best they could, that would go a long way with me as compared to someone who just shrugs and isn't empathetic. I hope that you can put the disappointment and frustration behind you and enjoy your trip! Also, use the heck out of that club lounge!!!

Cash reservations will always be prioritized over points. Points are free to return. Cash is not free to refund.
How can cash not be refunded? It’s fungible. I can see, as a business practice, cash reservations being prioritized over member booking with points. While points can be refunded, it seems members often have a lengthy road to be refunded points. I’m sure the POS has tons of disclaimers and indemnity language getting DVC off the hook for these issues; however, in addition to the purchase price, members pay annual MFs which cover the management of this.

While it’s hard to calculate, the member should come out in a better place for a situation like this. I guess I’m disgruntled after the BWV refurbishment debacle.

Based on 12+ years of membership and similar experiences, I can say that the handling of the situation is dependent on the cast member and resort. While we have never received a definitive answer, we have been told:

(1) On arrival day, we become guests of the resort and the resort is responsible for providing a comparable room (communication with DVC Member Services)
(2) One's home resort or the resort from which the majority of points were used to book the reservation becomes responsible for providing a room (communication with Front Desk Cast Members)
(3) DVC Member Services is responsible for finding a room (communication with Front Desk Cast Members)

DVC Member Services can help, but their assistance is limited to available inventory for the duration of the planned reservation. Their help is also limited by their hours of operation. After 9pm and 7pm during the week and weekend, respectively, Front Desk Cast members are the only option.

It is the resort room assigners that have a better understanding of availability and possible assignments. Moreover, the Front Desk Cast Members can, but are not required to, offer a similar room. For these reasons, working directly with the resort is preferable to contacting DVC Member Services.

Depending on the duration of the stay, I would have asked when the first 1-bedroom villa was scheduled to come available. If it would be in a day or two, then I would have taken the BCV Deluxe Studio, with point refund, and moved when the 1-bedroom was available. We have done this on a previous trip.

When we book and plan for a 1-bedroom villa, we bring fewer clothes and use the washer and dryer. While nice, a club level offer would be inconvenient and likely result in us buying clothes to wear.

Looking at it from if DH and I had booked the 1BR, the upgrade to Club level would’ve felt valuable but it wouldn’t have made up for losing the door between spaces. DH gets up really early and likes to do stuff 4am, which doesn’t work in a studio. Or he’ll go take a nap in the bedroom midday while I’m doing stuff in the other room.

So I’d probably not feel fully compensated with the one room club level in place of a regular 1BR.

From a point perspective, today is 16 points for BC studio and 35 points for 1BR (220% the amount of studio points). The only DVC club level to compare is AKV, and those are not even the double the point requirement to add it to same room size (160% the amount of non-club level points).

Somewhere between $75-$100 credit total per night (or 4 to 5 points per night) seems fair if this happened to us.

Updating to answer a few of the questions

We do have the correct phone number everywhere. For some reason, even when multiple CMs tried to update it manually, it converts to a weird mishmash of numbers in their system. Shows as correct in my DVC and MDE profiles plus in the online checkin info. Some bizarre glitch with their internal system, although the automated texts and emails were getting no problem.

The front desk manager admitted they were overbooked. Not sure how that happens. DH heard multiple other guests having the much the same conversations, seems like they really screwed up with numbers

We likely got picked because we were arriving late. Had selected 7pm arrival time but didn’t get there until around 9pm. Not sure I will admit a late arrival again.

Just DH and I, so we went with club level plus a small cash credit and one night of points back. Although I was regretting the lack of separate spaces when he was snoring up a storm this morning and I would have liked to get up and make a coffee.

The manager was helpful enough but supposedly everything was full everywhere. Not sure I buy it, but not much I could do at that time of night. Not even a way to switch to a 1 bdrm at BCV at any point in our stay, which is luckily only three nights.

The club level offer was to replace the kitchen and the cash credit was to cover laundry and the wasted groceries, and the points back were for the inconvenience. It’s fair, but I’m still cranky since we planned and packed based on the location, space and amenities of a 1 bdrm at BCV.

I appreciate that others think I’m not out of line in being annoyed. DH thinks it’s no biggie, so his sympathy is lacking. :-)

I'm glad it worked out in the end but how frustrating. I'm hoping I never experience this but specifically since I have a big family trip planned for next September (2 bedroom villa).

The front desk manager admitted they were overbooked. Not sure how that happens. DH heard multiple other guests having the much the same conversations, seems like they really screwed up with numbers
Oh, that would infuriate me. Something uncontrollable like a plumbing or AC issue, I'd still be disappointed, but it is what it is. Just overbooking is unacceptable. You're not out of line in being annoyed AT ALL.

I would have been deeply upset and said nothing because I didn't stand up for myself. But IF I WAS BRAVE I would have politely said my grievances and gotten the best accommodations possible.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest