What would be my best UY for this scenario?

We don’t usually travel in the warmer months (mid-May through mid-October in general) either, and a September UY has been perfect for us. So consider that UY too. (Although I will confess we haven’t had much occasion to bank points, so not sure if you’d run that risk or not!)

We don’t usually travel in the warmer months (mid-May through mid-October in general) either, and a September UY has been perfect for us. So consider that UY too. (Although I will confess we haven’t had much occasion to bank points, so not sure if you’d run that risk or not!)
Hmm, maybe so?

I found a SSR contract with 50 points on it with an August use year. 17/18/19-0/50/50, not sure about an August use year or how much it is really worth a point. They are asking $115 a point.:scratchin

Another one just like it with a June use year, asking $117 a point.

Ughhh, and Fidelity has one available just like the above asking $90 a point. If it weren't for that April use year, I would make an offer today I think.:headache::headache::headache:

Last edited:
Well I put in an offer for $85 a point, even with that April use year, just to see what they say. Will I just need to put down a 10% deposit of the sale price if they accept it? I was told that by another resale company.

Well I put in an offer for $85 a point, even with that April use year, just to see what they say. Will I just need to put down a 10% deposit of the sale price if they accept it? I was told that by another resale company.

At that huge of a price difference, it's worth the bit of a UY headache from year to year in my mind.
Yes, you would have to front the 10% or so, and then it gets sent off to ROFR

At that huge of a price difference, it's worth the bit of a UY headache from year to year in my mind.
Yes, you would have to front the 10% or so, and then it gets sent off to ROFR
That is what I am thinking. Might could change travel plans a bit more to the cooler temps in late fall? If and only if I were to land it, and I am not holding my breath.

That is what I am thinking. Might could change travel plans a bit more to the cooler temps in late fall? If and only if I were to land it, and I am not holding my breath.

Sounds like you have the right attitude about it. Look for the best contract in terms of resort, UY, # of points, and cost per point. That's a lot of factors to nail the perfect one right on the head.
Once you find one you like enough, submit an offer and hope for the best but plan for the worst. I'm hoping for the best for you.

I’d expect a $1,000 deposit. In my experience, it’s 10% or $1,000, whichever is higher.

Sounds like you have the right attitude about it. Look for the best contract in terms of resort, UY, # of points, and cost per point. That's a lot of factors to nail the perfect one right on the head.
Once you find one you like enough, submit an offer and hope for the best but plan for the worst. I'm hoping for the best for you.
Thanks. We will see.

I'm a noobee, but as I understand it, UY only matters if you cancel a reservation, especially one within the last four months of your UY. Am I wrong? I also understand that you can get travel insurance to cover this situation.

If so, you could cover yourself by getting travel insurance for reservations late in your UY. We have BLT with a Feb UY. Our first trip will be at the beginning of January 2019. I plan to get insurance

I'm a noobee, but as I understand it, UY only matters if you cancel a reservation, especially one within the last four months of your UY. Am I wrong? I also understand that you can get travel insurance to cover this situation.

If so, you could cover yourself by getting travel insurance for reservations late in your UY. We have BLT with a Feb UY. Our first trip will be at the beginning of January 2019. I plan to get insurance

Also a noobee here, but I am pretty sure the insurance only covers MF costs. You would still lose the points if you had to cancel. Having a UY well before your travel date is beneficial because you have so much more flexibility. Go, reschedule, rent, or bank points. If you have a Feb UY and a Dec trip, your only options are go, or mayyybe reschedule for a week or two later, or maaaayyyybe rent the points for like $7/point.

A good use year is basically free travel insurance. The DVC insurance only pays out if you lose the points and even then, it only covers maintenance fees. So, about $6 point.

No need to change travel plans - a good UY is just a bit of free insurance against late cancellations. It means nothing for when you can travel. If you end up never cancelling you'll never notice a difference.

Personally I've had 2 last minute cancellations and having a "good" UY gave me time to use the points before they expired.

sorry to butt in but this came up when I clicked NEW POSTS

so the OP is now asking for help on the DVC section.

A bit of background, a few weeks ago, the OP was on the Disneyland Paris section. The story was that her daughter was going to France for back surgery in February / March 2018 and she was wanted to take the family to Disneyland Paris the week before the surgery. A few of us were very patient, answering all the newbie questions about Disneyland Paris, giving great advice and basically planning the trip for the OP. Over the course of a number of threads on the Disneyland Paris this was how it went

1. Original plan a week in Disneyland Paris, then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery
2. Changed to a few days in central Paris for sightseeing, then onsite at Disneyland Paris, then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery
3. Changed to a few days in central Paris, then a day trip to Disneyland Paris,then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery.
4. Changed to a few days in London for sighting, then a few days in central Paris, then a day trip to Disneyland Paris,then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery.

Along the way the OP seemed to get more and more annoyed that the way things are done in Europe and the differences between Disneyland Paris / Europe and America. For example, the OP was not happy that American Disney Gift cards are not valid in Disneyland Paris.. The more information we gave about Disneyland Paris and Europe in general, the more the OP seemed to loose interest.

Then eventually, a new thread appeared, which said that daughters back surgery will now be in Caymen Islands and so the family are not going to Disneyland Paris after all.

Im not trying to cause trouble, but it just seems very odd to me that the OP is now in the DVC and asking for advice about being a first time buyer and about contracts in February/ March.

sorry to butt in but this came up when I clicked NEW POSTS

so the OP is now asking for help on the DVC section.

A bit of background, a few weeks ago, the OP was on the Disneyland Paris section. The story was that her daughter was going to France for back surgery in February / March 2018 and she was wanted to take the family to Disneyland Paris the week before the surgery. A few of us were very patient, answering all the newbie questions about Disneyland Paris, giving great advice and basically planning the trip for the OP. Over the course of a number of threads on the Disneyland Paris this was how it went

1. Original plan a week in Disneyland Paris, then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery
2. Changed to a few days in central Paris for sightseeing, then onsite at Disneyland Paris, then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery
3. Changed to a few days in central Paris, then a day trip to Disneyland Paris,then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery.
4. Changed to a few days in London for sighting, then a few days in central Paris, then a day trip to Disneyland Paris,then get the train to South of France for daughters back surgery.

Along the way the OP seemed to get more and more annoyed that the way things are done in Europe and the differences between Disneyland Paris / Europe and America. For example, the OP was not happy that American Disney Gift cards are not valid in Disneyland Paris.. The more information we gave about Disneyland Paris and Europe in general, the more the OP seemed to loose interest.

Then eventually, a new thread appeared, which said that daughters back surgery will now be in Caymen Islands and so the family are not going to Disneyland Paris after all.

Im not trying to cause trouble, but it just seems very odd to me that the OP is now in the DVC and asking for advice about being a first time buyer and about contracts in February/ March.
Just got in on a contract at OKW and I will make sure you get some pics of the Grand Cayman.

As the almighty God as my witness, this is all true.

Just got in on a contract at OKW and I will make sure you get some pics of the Grand Cayman.

As the almighty God as my witness, this is all true.

As long as you are happy, healthy, and not rude I don't think anybody minds your unique back story. Your questions have been legitimate and you have been positive and receptive to feedback. Hope all goes well for you.

As long as you are happy, healthy, and not rude I don't think anybody minds your unique back story. Your questions have been legitimate and you have been positive and receptive to feedback. Hope all goes well for you.

Thank you so much. It really hurts me that some would think I'm lying. And I know it is quite the story, but it is true.

And, I was researching DVC before just now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter