What would be my best UY for this scenario?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
If I were to buy and close on a 50 point SSR contract early next year with 50 points on it for 2018 and then I were to borrow the 50 points from 2019 and book 2 studios for a possible trip for my family, and something were to come up and needed to rescheduled one or both reservations, what would be my best UY for such a scenario. I am not real worried about my cancelling, but my sister-in-law might be different.

Since I know all the 2019 points would would be borrowed and no chance of returning them to 2019, I wonder just what the best UY would be for that? I know when I buy in I will just take what I can get regarding UYs, since it might be competitive to get a smaller contract, but I thought I would ask.

It depends on when you plan on vacationing most. You want a UY as close to it, but before it. That way, if for any reason your vacation has to be cancelled you can still bank the current year's points, or reschedule or rent out previously banked points.

It depends on when you plan on vacationing most. You want a UY as close to it, but before it. That way, if for any reason your vacation has to be cancelled you can still bank the current year's points, or reschedule or rent out previously banked points.
Most of the time our vacations will probably be in Janaury/February and an occasional trip in the Fall/Christmas time. Maybe once in a blue moon a trip in early May. We really like trips taken in really cool and comfortable temps.

Most of the time our vacations will probably be in Janaury/February and an occasional trip in the Fall/Christmas time. Maybe once in a blue moon a trip in early May. We really like trips taken in really cool and comfortable temps.
Can you find three or four consecutive months when you will never to Disney?

A December use year would be good for Christmas, January, and February, but terrible for October.

Can you find three or four consecutive months when you will never to Disney?

A December use year would be good for Christmas, January, and February, but terrible for October.
I don't see us going during June, July and August. I mean its possible, but only if we were doing a water park vacation.

December UY is what I would buy, you have until the end of July to bank. Points need to be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

I'd aim for October then. That will cover your fall trips as long as they aren't in Sept, and will be pretty good for Jan/Feb trips as well.

Ok, like I said I will more than likely just have to take what I can get. But it is looking a I should hope for a December use year as #1 pick and a October use year as a #2 pick? I don't think I've seen a whole lot of December contracts.

I see you are also looking for best price. Yes, best case scenario look for a December UY. Mostly just look to avoid Feb and March ones and you should be ok, though.
You can look into the odds of contracts from different UYs at your preferred resorts by reading about them at Dvcnews. The breakdown is not at all evenly distributed.

I see you are also looking for best price. Yes, best case scenario look for a December UY. Mostly just look to avoid Feb and March ones and you should be ok, though.
You can look into the odds of contracts from different UYs at your preferred resorts by reading about them at Dvcnews. The breakdown is not at all evenly distributed.
Wow, SSR UY are December dominant, but October, nada. I will look further at OKW.

Would this be your first DVC contract? I would just buy whatever contract is the best deal. I promise your travel needs will fluctuate over time. We bought June at SSR to start just because it was the right price, right points, right time. We used to go about once a year... now, with APs, we go every 3-4 months for at least a long weekend. It was a great learning contract - and we have probably taken 4 or 5 trips in May (gasp!) without issue. We now have June and December contracts and use specific resorts for specific times, but prior to actually jumping in and doing it, I never could have predicted what the future would hold! Good luck and happy contract hunting :)

Would this be your first DVC contract? I would just buy whatever contract is the best deal. I promise your travel needs will fluctuate over time. We bought June at SSR to start just because it was the right price, right points, right time. We used to go about once a year... now, with APs, we go every 3-4 months for at least a long weekend. It was a great learning contract - and we have probably taken 4 or 5 trips in May (gasp!) without issue. We now have June and December contracts and use specific resorts for specific times, but prior to actually jumping in and doing it, I never could have predicted what the future would hold! Good luck and happy contract hunting :)
Yes it is.

Yes it is.
Can't go wrong with SSR... decent prices, low dues, walk to Disney Springs, great pools, nice spa (and you can hopefully make 7 month bookings at different places to see what works best for your fam)

Can't go wrong with SSR... decent prices, low dues, walk to Disney Springs, great pools, nice spa (and you can hopefully make 7 month bookings at different places to see what works best for your fam)
I think so to, but OKW keeps me guessing too.:)

Just know that December UY can be the hardest to figure out how to use. Do some reading on it while looking at contracts. Know what you’re getting into. Bookmark some helpful threads for when your brain turns upside down while figuring out the December UY. :)

In your first post scenario alone with a December UY it’s already different. Because with a 2018 trip, unless you’re looking at December 2018, you’d want a contract with 50 2017 points then borrow 2018 points. 2019 wouldn’t come into a 2018 trip from Jan through November, with a December UY.

we went with OKW because the theming was more to our tastes, we didn't want to ever stay at SSR so we wouldn't buy there.
The thing that is drawing me to OKW is the being close to the HH advantage. But SSR has the lower dues. I hope to get to stay at SSR, OKW, AKV, VWL, the Poly and just maybe BWVs. I don't look to be able to get into the BCV, GFV, and I have no desire to stay at BLT. I will want to try my best to mix it up. I like a variety. We like to travel in the cooler months and slower season for DVC, so I am hoping I will have better chances at 7 months at a different resort, for around 4-5 nights?

But I know during if we travel between October and December it will be at our actual home resort most likely. I guess I should just go with SSR, since I am wanting to mix it up. But it may just come down to which resort I can find the best deal on.

Just know that December UY can be the hardest to figure out how to use. Do some reading on it while looking at contracts. Know what you’re getting into. Bookmark some helpful threads for when your brain turns upside down while figuring out the December UY. :)

In your first post scenario alone with a December UY it’s already different. Because with a 2018 trip, unless you’re looking at December 2018, you’d want a contract with 50 2017 points then borrow 2018 points. 2019 wouldn’t come into a 2018 trip from Jan through November, with a December UY.
Thank you for that info, I think I might understand it, and I will be studying on that now. Because that is exactly what I am hoping to do. Get two studios for a 4 night stay in December of 2018. An October use year might be the best for me. I need to find someone somewhat close to me to be a DVC tutor and show me online and on paper how all that works.:rolleyes: You know, my daughters math teacher is a Disney freak, I just might ask her if she is a DVC member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!