What to wear in WDW in August?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
This might not seem like a budgeting question, but since I need to buy new clothes for this summer (having just lost 30+ lbs on Weight Watchers :yay:), I need to keep this cheap if possible.

I'm now exercising more, so I was hoping to find moisture wicking(?) clothing, so whatever I get for WDW can be used for running/walking too. Think Athleta but without the $69 cost for a shirt. :) I know it'll be extremely hot and humid - this is the time we normally go.

Any suggestions on places to check out? (Bonus points if they also sell kid's clothes.)

Don't waste your money on moisture wicking clothing - it doesn't work in high humidity. In order for the moisture to be wicked away, the outside air has to be drier than the inside. You won't find that in Orlando in August.

In high humidity, it will actually pull moisture from the air and hold it against your skin.

It might be a better idea to invest in cotton t shirts but get a few so you can change! I know we got pretty sweaty & it was nice to have the change of clothes!
Also cooling towels (they sell them on Amazon) worked for us. It’s the size of a scarf that holds water & cools you off.

We went last August and as you might expect - it was hot and humid! lol! Before we went, I found exercise shorts at JCPenney that I liked. They had built-in underwear, so it eliminated the need to wear an extra layer of undies, and they were nylon and a good length (mid thigh). I believe they were Xersion brand and I got them in black and grey. They were usually on sale and I could usually find coupons. I definitely recommend those shorts or something similar - comfy, lightweight, and didn't stay wet for long during the rain!

As for shirts, I stuck with tank tops from Old Navy. They had high neck ones with spaghetti straps that were flowy style last year that I liked. Very lightweight, flowy cotton but still flattering. With them I wore sports bras from Victoria's Secret and under some other tanks I had, I wore bralettes to make it more lightweight. I found bralettes I liked at VS and Aerie.

Just wear as little as you can get away with :thumbsup2 Light weight tanks and shorts if you can pull them off. I feel like I am past the shorts age myself (just a personal hang up, not throwing shade on anyone else) so I like to wear skorts. But I still wear tanks, just ones that have plenty of coverage. DD17 likes light sun dresses.

I get most of my clothes like this at Kohl's or even eBay (mostly Lands End stuff - they had some great golf skorts for awhile). Old Navy doesn't fit me well.

I wore mostly workout clothes. Workout legging capris, sports bras and looser workout tops. It worked well. I got almost all of it from Old Navy. Their workout clothes can be pretty fashionable.
Same! We always go in June, and my regular clothes would be soaked by 10 am. A few years ago I decided to wear my workout clothes, and I'm much more comfortable. Besides you're climbing in and out of rides, and it's easy to get any stains out of workout gear. Sparkle Skirts has a lot of Disney themed skorts, if you want something WDW themed.

We like to wear dresses in August. I wear Tilley ones. They are not cheap but I guarantee you’ll get at least ten years out of one. My daughter wears a lot of Mod Cloth.

I recommend a gauzy - feather weight shirt with sleeves over a tank - really - even in the summer months - keeps the sun off the arms. lesson to be learned from people who live in hot climates.

Sundresses! Cool, lightweight, bring a light sweater for Cool eateries... comfy sandals ( Vionics are awesome) and enjoy ur comfy ( and fashionable ) day

By the way... Congrats on ur weight loss success!

I wear skorts, capris and sundresses. Tanks with the skorts and capris. It's just too darn hot in August for much clothing but being the modest mama I am, I have to wear something lol. August and Sept are so humid. Whatever you wear will be a sweaty mess within hours. Same for my hair. I start out so cute and it's up in a bun or ponytail within hours as well.

I would also buy cotton sunhats in white or a light color. I bought a few off amazon for our trip last August and it was a godsend when the sun is beating down on your head. I bought a variety that is all cotton with a brim that can be molded to whatever shape you like. It had a cord inside that you could adjust depending on your head size for comfort. It kept my head cooler and shaded my face and ears from getting sunburned. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

One another thing I'll add... if chafe is ever an issue for you like it is for me, Body Glide was helpful for that. I carried it in my bag to re-apply throughout the day. With the sweat moisture and humidity, I did inevitably experience chafe so next time I may try bicycle style shorts or something that won't ride up.

I have been going in August for quite a few years and I love it!

As far as clothes, we bring 5-6 outfits per person max. But I do laundry during our mid day breaks or pool days. We wear 2 outfits per day and shower during our mid day break after our naps, lol! DH and I also shower in the morning before going to the park.

We also tend to get wet from rides or misters so after our break we don’t want to put on our icky wet clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter