What is your best family vacation besides Disney?

No one set location, we tend to travel along the coast of Britain in our non-Disney years. We're a very "out-doorsy" family so Disney is our only real theme park type vacation we take, other years it's beaches, caves, hill walking, museums, forest walking- basically anything the kids can learn, get new experiences and we can be out in the open. We always take my parents with us.

This year we're going camping to a site which is directly across a road from the beach, has alot of nature walks around, swimming and we will most likely go visit a couple of sites of interest whilst there.

We'll also be visiting my sister for the weekend and my DH wants to consider taking a detour to take the kids to Stonehenge on the trip down.

My husband grew up going to Smugglers Notch in Vermont each summer - loved that place, probably one of the best family resorts in the northeast. This year we're going to Disney with DS, but next year we're trying Beaches Turks & Caicos which I've heard wonderful things about - can't wait!

Nothing compares to Disney thus far. We've gone on other vacations and maybe the next best one was Alaska. That's not saying much because I don't really have any interest in going back to Alaska - not kid friendly. There are lots of places I went as a child with my family and where I've been with my husband and no kids and I can name lots of great 'family' spots but I'm going to assume you meant a vacation with children.

So when I was a kid, the best vacation was Disney :lmao: And the second best was a cruise we took (kids club was great). The third best was Hawaii. And I would take my kids to Hawaii in a heartbeat if I could find good prices on plane tickets!

Okay, I need to amend my last post! We really enjoy going to my mom's lake front cabin. Boating, tubing, fishing, swimming, sunning, smores, and lots of board games (no tv!). That is very relaxing!

We have gone to The Outer Banks, SC for many years before we found Disney World. We went to Disney last Spring and are going again this Fall. So sorry OBX we might see you next year. LOL

It is simply wonderful there. So family friendly and laid back. The beaches are lovely, the towns have great shopping and dining. So we always felt like home there.

We have taken our DS4 snow-skiing in Montana the last couple of years and he loved it. They have lots of other activities in addition to skiing, we went dogsledding, snowmobiling in Yellowstone Park, ziplining, tubing, and rode in the snowcat on their nightly grooming runs.

Skiied at Park City Utah with him as well, although he was a bit young to fully enjoy that one. The resorts in and around Park City also have lots of kids activities, but be prepared to pay (you just thought Disney was expensive until you get them into ski school!).

He's also been to a couple of resorts in the Caribbean with us, and on a cruise and all have been great! One year we went out to Sequioa Park in California to see 'the big trees' which was something different for all of us.

We're also near the Gulf Coast so we make a couple of long weekend trips there each year for a more laid-back vacation. Building sandcastles on the beach, fishing from the pier, dolphin cruise through the bay.

I don't know that there is just one. When I was a kid we spent two weeks in the summer at the lake renting a beach front cottage. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that resort.

Last year in september we went to Folly Beach, SC and rented a beach house with my inlaws and my SIL and her family and stayed a week at the beach and we had a great time there too. It was so relaxing. Even though I am really not a beach type person I really enjoyed it. like I don't swim in the ocean and I don't sit in the sun lol but still it was just so nice to sit on the deck at night and listen to the waves roll in.

Frankenmuth (I don't know if I spelled that right. it's in michigan) was another favorite when I was a kid. I would LOVE to plan a trip there again.

Miami, FL. Actually Hollywood, FL to be exact at the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. We LOVE this place.

Room overlooking the ocean with a saline pool right on the ocean.

Ahhh. Paradise.

Hilton Head Island,SC and there is a Disney resort there, so you could sort of still be on a Disney vacation. LOL

Seriously though, Hilton Head is great! It is so natural and non-touristy there even though there are a lot of tourists you wouldn't know it.

There are laws for signs and everything has to be natural and the colors of buildings and signs muted (to blend in with the natural environment) and there are laws about lighting because of the sea turtles so, it is a very peaceful place to visit with no neon signs and very few tourist traps. The island is very pretty too. My family loves it there!

The beach. The sugar white sand beaches and emerald green water of Panama City Beach, Destin, Rosemary Beach = heaven!

Just thought I would ask because we are thinking of going to Washington DC next summer. But I am thinking of waiting a year or two just til the girls get a little older. We went on a DCL cruise this spring break and I loved it. The first time we have done spring break for a long time--we never have the same spring break because I teach in a different district than my dds attend. It was so nice to get away from the MN winter.

Now I am trying to find a place for us to go next summer. More ideas please!

I don't understand the question either.

Are you telling me there is somewhere else you can go besides WDW? Why waste the time and money when you can continue to vacation in PARADISE at Walt Disney World.

Ok, I can answer this question, it would be the Disney Cruise Line.

The beach. The sugar white sand beaches and emerald green water of Panama City Beach, Destin, Rosemary Beach = heaven!

You are so right! That is my back yard and I love it. Grayton Beach in South Walton is the best place ever!!!

kelli

You are so right! That is my back yard and I love it. Grayton Beach in South Walton is the best place ever!!!

kelli

I agree with that too! We've been all over the Caribbean, and none of the beaches we've been to there are as beautiful as our Gulf Coast beaches.

Indian Rocks Beach FL. Best vacation because it was SO relaxing, and we stopped at Disney for a couple nights on the way home--so the best of both worlds :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter