What "extra" during the "down season" would you book?

LizzyS

DIS Veteran
We're going back to DLR during a Monday and Tuesday in late February 2019. I realize that the nighttime entertainment is not offered on those days, but what else that is available would you do, based on past experience?

For reference, the only real "extra" we've done at Disney is the HEA fireworks dessert party at MK this past February and we loved that, but again, I know no nighttime shows will be available at the time we are visiting DLR.

A tour maybe? I'm unsure unless I'm guaranteed to get into Walt's apartment (I have no idea if that is currently or will be available).

What am I not remembering? I was in WDW mode for a while, but now I'm back to our home base, DLR.

TIA!

Are you interested in character meals? That would be a nice treat. The Storyteller's brunch has very good food, but I have heard the characters have recently changed to the fab 5 so no rare characters there anymore. There is also Plaza Inn (in DL park), Goofy's Kitchen (DLH), and Surf's Up (Paradise Pier).

Another idea would be to book a special dinner that you usually wouldn't splurge for. Maybe Carthay Circle or Napa Rose? Blue Bayou is another nice alternative (but obviously no alcoholic beverages there if you wanted a cocktail, wine or beer with dinner).

If you are Star Wars fans, there is a new(ish) experience in DtD called the VOID. It's virtual reality and it sounds pretty cool.

Are you interested in character meals? That would be a nice treat. The Storyteller's brunch has very good food, but I have heard the characters have recently changed to the fab 5 so no rare characters there anymore. There is also Plaza Inn (in DL park), Goofy's Kitchen (DLH), and Surf's Up (Paradise Pier).

Another idea would be to book a special dinner that you usually wouldn't splurge for. Maybe Carthay Circle or Napa Rose? Blue Bayou is another nice alternative (but obviously no alcoholic beverages there if you wanted a cocktail, wine or beer with dinner).

If you are Star Wars fans, there is a new(ish) experience in DtD called the VOID. It's virtual reality and it sounds pretty cool.

Thank you for the advice!

I live in Las Vegas and the VOID SW experience is also here, so I'll do that one here soon instead of on vacation.

We're not into character meals, but a special in-park dinner probably isn't a bad idea!

I would def do the F! or fireworks meal packages, but it won't be offered when we go, of course.

Thank you for the advice!

I live in Las Vegas and the VOID SW experience is also here, so I'll do that one here soon instead of on vacation.

We're not into character meals, but a special in-park dinner probably isn't a bad idea!

I would def do the F! or fireworks meal packages, but it won't be offered when we go, of course.
Don't do the void in vegas. I was raised there and still have most my family there. Anybody in my family who has gone, myself included, has had a terrible experience there.
The one in DTD is much better. When we arrived for our void in vegas we arrived 15 min early for check in per the email. They dismissed us and told us to come back in 10 min. We were hesitant to leave as there was a line going out the door but we assumed they were walkins. Checked back in 10 min later and they then told us to get in the line.
We asked if that is correct because we have reservations. They said that is the line for reservations and walk ins.
Long story short we didn't actually begin our experience until 80 minutes after our time.
STAY AWAY!!

At DTD void we waited most 5 minutes to do it. I have done it 7 times from both vegas and DTD and every time DTD is way better.

Don't do the void in vegas. I was raised there and still have most my family there. Anybody in my family who has gone, myself included, has had a terrible experience there.
The one in DTD is much better. When we arrived for our void in vegas we arrived 15 min early for check in per the email. They dismissed us and told us to come back in 10 min. We were hesitant to leave as there was a line going out the door but we assumed they were walkins. Checked back in 10 min later and they then told us to get in the line.
We asked if that is correct because we have reservations. They said that is the line for reservations and walk ins.
Long story short we didn't actually begin our experience until 80 minutes after our time.
STAY AWAY!!

At DTD void we waited most 5 minutes to do it. I have done it 7 times from both vegas and DTD and every time DTD is way better.

Thanks for the advice!

WoC is offered every night (unless it is down for maintenance), the dessert party is a great "extra".

Oh, that's right! I had forgotten that WOC is offered nightly during "off season"! We've also never seen it, so that's a good one!

Yes, WoC Dessert Party! You get seated (SEATS!) at a table for desserts and stay in those same seats to watch the show. The CM's treat you like VIP's. Very nice experience.

Yes and I think we would like that! The Tuesday we are there is our 10th wedding anniversary, so it would be quite appropriate. We did the HEA fireworks party at MK on our 9th anniversary this year and my husband said that was one of if not his favorite thing during our trip.

Just a word of caution -- I'm going to offer an unpopular opinion and say that as a party of 2, I didn't enjoy the WoC dessert party. Parties of 2 are usually sat with other parties of 2 (sometimes they aren't, but you can't ever really tell ahead of time. It depends on how booked up it is).

We were sat with another couple that clearly didn't want to share the experience with us. They were very snotty and rude and it sort of ruined the overall experience. I still loved being able to watch it from a seat though. I'm sure for the most part people are generally nice, but you never know when a rotten egg (or two in this case) can ruin such an expensive experience!

ETA: The couple was being rude by not engaging in a conversation with us. When I just tried being friendly and chatting beforehand they would offer one word responses in a curt manner. I got the idea very quickly they didn't want to talk and it felt awkward sitting next to them, but as always YMMV.

Just a word of caution -- I'm going to offer an unpopular opinion and say that as a party of 2, I didn't enjoy the WoC dessert party. Parties of 2 are usually sat with other parties of 2 (sometimes they aren't, but you can't ever really tell ahead of time. It depends on how booked up it is).

We were sat with another couple that clearly didn't want to share the experience with us. They were very snotty and rude and it sort of ruined the overall experience. I still loved being able to watch it from a seat though. I'm sure for the most part people are generally nice, but you never know when a rotten egg (or two in this case) can ruin such an expensive experience!

ETA: The couple was being rude by not engaging in a conversation with us. When I just tried being friendly and chatting beforehand they would offer one word responses in a curt manner. I got the idea very quickly they didn't want to talk and it felt awkward sitting next to them, but as always YMMV.

Thank you for sharing your experience and the info., I really appreciate it!

I had the opposite experience with the PTN reception. I was solo and put at a table with a group of 3. We all chatted, laughed and enjoyed the parade. While I didn't think the reception was worth the price I did enjoy the evening.

We went during the off season (first week in February - arrived Super Bowl Sunday) in 2017. Our special extras were:
  • Work of Color dining package (you do stand for the show, which I don't mind, but the area is less crowded, which is important to me)
  • Character dining at Ariel's Grotto (no longer open) and Plaza Inn
  • Had originally booked a Main Street Electrical Parade dining package, but cancelled that because DD wasn't feeling great and didn't want to stay up
  • Anna & Elsa's Boutique appointment for DD (sadly, this place is no longer around either!)
Typing this out mostly make me glad that we visited when DD could still enjoy those special princess experiences. But note that World of Color and MSEP were both running during this off season time.

Another vote for WoC dessert party...my favorite Disney add on of all that I've tried...would mosdef do again...and again...and I think you get the point.

We're going back to DLR during a Monday and Tuesday in late February 2019. I realize that the nighttime entertainment is not offered on those days, but what else that is available would you do, based on past experience?

For reference, the only real "extra" we've done at Disney is the HEA fireworks dessert party at MK this past February and we loved that, but again, I know no nighttime shows will be available at the time we are visiting DLR.

A tour maybe? I'm unsure unless I'm guaranteed to get into Walt's apartment (I have no idea if that is currently or will be available).

What am I not remembering? I was in WDW mode for a while, but now I'm back to our home base, DLR.

TIA!

I would do a tour! I’m going in September, and was checking into the Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour. I haven’t taken this tour, but it seems to be a pretty good value, since you also get lunch (a meal you’d prob buy elsewhere, anyway) and an exclusive pin that’s just for tour guests. Walt’s apartment is not necessarily a guarantee, but may be more likely in a less busy season (Just a thought). I’ve gone a few times in Feb and several attractions are usually closed, so the tour may help fill that hole. When I booked the GCH, the CM told me about the Artisan Tour that’s offered there, about the history and craftsmanship of the hotel, and things not normally noticed by guests. I hope to actually do a tour, so I’ll have more info about it in a couple months. Also, since the parks close so early at that time, it’s nice to go to Trader Sam’s for a drink/snack afterward...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter