What does a Disneyland Vacation really cost - our experience

valiamo

My love of Fantasia, and Mickey
Ever wonder what it currently costs for a week in the Disneyland area? This is our experience on our trip Feb 2024. We are 2 Adults travelling with 5 days in the parks total spent $4833USD and $750CAD for a total spend of $7250 CAD. We are not extravagant spenders and we did not do any character meals (as they average $55 per person and up)

Real cost for 2 adults
Hotel - $1475 USD - Clementine Hotel (bottom of the rate scale)
Flight - $650 CAD (WestJet - using a companion voucher)
Transportation $125 USD (Uber and ART bus)
Disneyland Tickets - $1410 USD
Breakfasts - average daily price $54USD
Lunches - average daily price $31USD
Dinners - average daily price $62USD
Coffee/Snacks - average daily price $17USD

We went on a 7 night / 8 day vacation (Saturday to Saturday) flying out of Edmonton and into Santa Anna (John Wayne) airport. Stayed at the Clementine Hotel, used Uber and ART bus for transportation. We were there during the floods, heavy rain and even the mild earthquake in early Feb 2024. We took advantage of the WestJet Visa (which gave a companion ticket for $199) and used a friend’s access to timeshare pricing at a local hotel.

Flights $650(CAD) (Premium on the way down, and EconFlex on the way back). Having the WJ credit card we had 1 companion ticket, and always get 1 free check bag in economy and 2 free bags on Premium. Highly recommend this credit card if you fly once a year.

Hotel (Clementine suites) was $1475 (USD) for 7 nights. It was acceptable and the room had a full kitchen, 2 queen beds and a pull out couch. This hotel is near the bottom of the price point, but is not really out of access to the parks. It is too far to walk, and the ART bus serves it every 20 minutes.

Transportation (spent $125) Uber to and from the Hotel was quite reasonable ($25 one way and $30 the other, plus tip). Alas if you are flying into LAX, expect an Uber price to be nearer $100 owing to the distance. We also used the ART bus for travel from the Hotel and the Park. They have a 3 day ($16pp) or 5 day ($25pp) pass that runs every 20 minutes. If you are over 65, they have a greatly reduced senior pass for $3.50(3 day) or $5.50 (5 day). Uber to the park is OK, but not advised going back to your hotel (as the pick-up location is always jammed packed)

Park tickets $1410 (USD) - We typically get 5 day Park Hoppers and Genie + for our trips. We like to hop between DLR and DCA, and will move back and forth 2 or 3 times per day. You can save a little but, by not getting Park Hopper or Genie +, but if you add them on at the park the price doubles ($30pp for Genie +) Price for a 5 day single park no Genie+ is $480 per person over 10 ($960 for 2 persons over 10).

Food can be expensive. We averaged $155 per day (for 2 persons) coffee, snacks and dining.

Breakfast (average price $54USD) - We had 2 breakfasts in our hotel room, and 3 in the parks and one outside. We had an average price for this meal of $54 (USD). Carnation Cafe is our typical go-to for a full breakfast, as was Tortilla Jo’s (will be closing soon).

Coffee and Snacks - ($17USD day) Ok we love our Starbucks ($11USD) and Dole whips, but that is our choice.. LOL

Lunches (average price $31.00) - All our lunches were in the parks, but we tended to have a later breakfast and an earlier dinner, and at times we only have a snack. Lots of choices for lunch type meals around the park and we enjoy going to Jolly Holiday in DLR and Smokejumpers in DCA

Dinners (average price $62USD). This is the pricier meals of the day, we pick sit-down locations, vs quick service. We ate 4 meals in the parks (Plaza Inn 2x, Flo’s V8, Cafe Orleans) and 3 outside (Cali Fish Grill, McCormick's and Schmick's and Cheesecake Factory). On average dinners outside of the park were more expensive than eating in the parks A value added hint is to eat at either Flo’s V8 in DCA or the Plaza Inn in DLR. Both of these locations have larger ½ chicken dinners that can easily be shared and there is no expectation of a tip at the end of the meal (meals here were $42 for 2). Plus it is much less expensive than the sit-down locations

Other expenses included merchandise purchased ($875USD), one of our less expensive trips.

Overall the trip was a nice one, we used our park hoppers and Genie plus every chance we could. We purchased 1 lightning lane ride (Star Wars) for a cost of $19.00, and either stood in line or used Genie+ for all other rides. We did not ride Racers as it was down most of the week owing to the rain showers.

We were in Anaheim, during the Feb flooding and torrential rain storms, plus on our last day we experienced a 4.6 earthquake (barely felt it). Rain pouches were a must, and if you are expecting rain for your trip, bring them from home. Disney's prices were a staggering $12USD for a poncho, that is just slightly thicker than the plastic on a ziplock baggie (hint bring your own).

While I have never been to DL, breakfast was your most expensive meal of the day!? Yikes!

Remind me to either a) keep bringing our own cereal or b) breakfast sandwich for $5.
People should keep that in mind when comparing prices of hotels that do and do not offer breakfast buffets. Breakfast being included is a must for my family for the convenience for food, juice, milk, and coffee, and the way it provides a solid start to the day.

People should keep that in mind when comparing prices of hotels that do and do not offer breakfast buffets. Breakfast being included is a must for my family for the convenience for food, juice, milk, and coffee, and the way it provides a solid start to the day.

Not to mention how much faster and easier it is to grab at the hotel! One of the big things I like about DL is that because it’s located in “town”, there are so many more options to stay at for decent prices than WDW 😊

Yeah having kids really changes the calculus when you travel. So if I can find a hotel that includes breakfast and is reasonably priced, I tend to favour that. Or if I'm in a pedestrian-friendly area (like Paris or even downtown Vancouver), I can get away with booking a place near a bakery/cafe/Timmys, where I can pop down, buy some pastries/breakfast sandwiches, and pop back up with the stuff for us to eat. If we can find a grocer nearby to buy some milk/juice/snacks, even better.

For the OP, I kind of get it though. Their strategy was to really fuel up before hitting the parks, so even though it was a little pricey, it made sense to spend more money for breakfast.

I’m fortunate my friend has Status with Marriott. So Lounge Access. We grab breakfast there, and then what they put out as “snacks” is enough to make a meal at Dinner. So that just leaves getting lunch in the parks. We just did Quick Service. I have not spent a lot this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter