What do you think of a snack (dining) plan?

sharadoc

Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.
We were discussing the Dining Plan, have only done it once and felt it was too much food. But we loved the snack credits and used them a lot at Epcot. Because of all the specialty Epcot festivals, would a snack only plan ever be a possibility? Or 1 qs meal (tradable for 3 snack credits) plus 2 snack credits for like $25 a day? We would go for it.

We were discussing the Dining Plan, have only done it once and felt it was too much food. But we loved the snack credits and used them a lot at Epcot. Because of all the specialty Epcot festivals, would a snack only plan ever be a possibility? Or 1 qs meal (tradable for 3 snack credits) plus 2 snack credits for like $25 a day? We would go for it.

Considering the QSDP is $52.50 for adults next year, your $25 price point is too low for Disney's bean counters. Even at $30 and with $7 snack items from F&W, if you don't use all your credits there, you're spending more on the plan than you would OOP.

Meal plans are not meant to be a great deal for guests. Heck qs breakfast at bog is $24

Nice to dream :)

Okay so maybe my math is bad, I don't know, but then what would it cost to subtract one meal from the QS plan and give us the mug, snacks and one meal? I think I'd get behind that, we always buy one meal a day in the parks. $35 maybe?

Okay so maybe my math is bad, I don't know, but then what would it cost to subtract one meal from the QS plan and give us the mug, snacks and one meal? I think I'd get behind that, we always buy one meal a day in the parks. $35 maybe?
$35 seems like what Disney would charge, but still do the math. I don’t think you can get $35 worth of value out of a plan like that.

I've often thought that a per credit charge would be an interesting way to do a dining plan. So having a price per QS credit, price per TS credit and price per snack credit and then buy however many you want ahead of time. That way you could buy 3 TS credits a day with 4 snacks if you wanted, or 1 QS and 10 snacks, if you wanted. There likely wouldn't be as much profit in it for Disney though since less credits would go unused, but it would be nice to be able to customize a dining plan.

There likely wouldn't be as much profit in it for Disney though since less credits would go unused, but it would be nice to be able to customize a dining plan.

That would probably depend on the price point for each credit, but you're right that Disney would almost certainly be the loser in such a situation. The main reason they still offer the plans and are making money off the plans, is the majority of people using them have no idea what they've paid for them. They see the plans as a way to have the "all-inclusive" feel and never bother to do the math. If you don't know what you've paid, you are almost certainly not using them to full value.

With a per credit plan, the consumer would know what they are paying and use them much more wisely.

I've often thought that a per credit charge would be an interesting way to do a dining plan. So having a price per QS credit, price per TS credit and price per snack credit and then buy however many you want ahead of time. That way you could buy 3 TS credits a day with 4 snacks if you wanted, or 1 QS and 10 snacks, if you wanted. There likely wouldn't be as much profit in it for Disney though since less credits would go unused, but it would be nice to be able to customize a dining plan.
That’s essentially what they do at Disneyland, but the price per credit is higher than any meal you can use it for. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Disney is trying to control your behavior with he plan. Even when you think you’re saving money, you’re still likely spending more than you would have otherwise.

Universal offers one QS with drink, one additional drink and one snack for $22.99 (plus tax) or one QS meal with drink, one snack and unlimited drinks for $28.99 (plus tax). I would think this would be the pricing that would make sense for Disney as well.

And then there is the $65 Food and Wine festival pass that gets you 8 food or beverage options. Like any of the other plans you have to plan to make it worth your while!

Universal offers one QS with drink, one additional drink and one snack for $22.99 (plus tax) or one QS meal with drink, one snack and unlimited drinks for $28.99 (plus tax). I would think this would be the pricing that would make sense for Disney as well.

And then there is the $65 Food and Wine festival pass that gets you 8 food or beverage options. Like any of the other plans you have to plan to make it worth your while!

I don't know the prices of meals and drinks at Universal, but if Disney offered all of that for the same price, they would lose money. Drinks are right at $3, most snacks are $5, so that only leaves $12 for a QS entrée. It wouldn't even take much planning to blow that one out of the water.

I don't know the prices of meals and drinks at Universal, but if Disney offered all of that for the same price, they would lose money. Drinks are right at $3, most snacks are $5, so that only leaves $12 for a QS entrée. It wouldn't even take much planning to blow that one out of the water.

It's priced about right. Most qs meals at Universal are $12-15, a drink is about $3, and snacks are $3-4.

We're leaving at lunch today heading there for a long weekend.

I like that, but make it 2 snacks and no extra drink and I'm in! The unlimited drinks option could be cool just at the self-service so Disney isn't constantly filling people's drink cups or handing out drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter